Buying Second Pair of Headphones - Advice Sought
May 12, 2013 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Poet

New Head-Fier
Hello all! I tried posting in different areas and inside the sticky thread but received no advice. So I'm just posting a new thread. These will be the second pair of headphones I've ever bought, never been an audiophile really. First pair were a700's, which are 'alright'. 

Most important: Comfort
Music genres: Rock, Alternative Rock, Blues Rock, Jazz, New Wave, Ska, Classical || movies
Portable: Irrelevant
Price range:  Around $200
Amped: No / unless it fits budget
Closed/Open: Open
Looks: Doesn't matter
Use: Computer / At Home

The only headphones I had in mind were the hd 598, fischer fa-003/fa-011, ath-ad900x, or mdr-ma900
So perhaps one of those or something that fits the genres I listen to.

May 12, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 6
For around $200 you might be able to find a pair of used Sennheiser HD580s. IMHO I think they would fit all your criteria well save being unamped. They do work well unamped but using an amp (even a portable one such as the iBasso D10 I use with them) lets them scale very well. Other then that, maybe Grado would fit the bill, but to my ears most sound harsh for genres such as jazz, new wave and ska save maybe the P500s. The P500s however, don't fit your budget.

Best thing to do is audition if you can. Good luck :)

May 12, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 6
For $200 if you can find HD598, you can't do wrong with it! It's a very good pair of headphone for classical, RnB and the list goes on. Pretty much everything but I somehow so not like it with my recently favorite genre, Metal-Rocks but since it's not in your list, it should be fine for you. Overall, a very nice warmish, forward mids and laid back sound. Slight rolled off at highs are there too, very spacious soundstage!

Hope this help!
Billson :)

May 13, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 6
I strongly do not think HD598 require such strong amp like E9! Not saying they do not scale well with good amp but the E9 is just..too powerful for it? Maybe you can take a look at some others like iBasso D7?

Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back