Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Mar 18, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #18,001 of 19,143
Ah..UT, bitten by the vintage bug, are you not? :) Maybe you can sell me one of your Sansuis when you're bored with them :p

Never knew I would get into vintage amps Ross but they are incredible sounding with my headphones.

Comparing these 2 amps, the AU-7700 reminds me of Tung Sol 5998 power tubes whilst the AU-717 is akin to GEC 6as7g. Such lovely variation. :)

Mar 18, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #18,002 of 19,143
Yes indeed, they do have gobs of power and bring out the best in headphones. I do notice most of these vintage amps pare better with higher impedance headphones. You should try driving your planars straight off the speaker taps. I have a vintage NAD 3020 amp myself and it remains my most bang for the buck audio gear purchase thus far.

Mar 18, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #18,004 of 19,143
Yes indeed, they do have gobs of power and bring out the best in headphones. I do notice most of these vintage amps pare better with higher impedance headphones. You should try driving your planars straight off the speaker taps. I have a vintage NAD 3020 amp myself and it remains my most bang for the buck audio gear purchase thus far.

A NAD 3020 would be lovely.

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #18,006 of 19,143
Never knew I would get into vintage amps Ross but they are incredible sounding with my headphones.

Comparing these 2 amps, the AU-7700 reminds me of Tung Sol 5998 power tubes whilst the AU-717 is akin to GEC 6as7g. Such lovely variation. :)

I know what you mean. I also never knew I'd get into vintage amps until some 12 years ago or so when, my brother offered me his Kenwood KA-8006 (1974.) I was with him when he bought it new back in '74. I'm glad I said yes when he offered it to me. At the time I had just bought a Cambridge Azur 750A & thought I was set for life. When I finally tried out the Kenwood my jaw almost hit the floor. It made the Cambridge sound like a transistor radio (slight exaggeration). I've owned nothing but vintage amps since as my main amp for my system.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #18,008 of 19,143
Have once owned the mythical Pioneer SX1280 (if my memory recalls correctly) . What a beast! Heavy weight and drove my then HE6 like it was a puny child, and that's straight out of the headphone jacks. Never tried it off the speaker taps though. Had to sell it as it was giving me issues and I didn't know anyone locally competent enough to refurb it.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #18,009 of 19,143
Ross you're probably going to wait a very long time to get one of my Sansui(s). Probably never. :)

They are all so incredibly sounding I can't decide which I like better.... and this is with headphones. With speakers, it's no contest.... I like the AU-717 best with my speakers.

Mar 19, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #18,012 of 19,143
I think this thread is very revelatory and instructive....For us all, but especially for newcomers... It shine a new light on the signification and experience with tubes and S.S. for example... In reality there is some less good S.S. and some less good tube amp. and there is some very good amp tube or S.S. the essential thing is : what price must be paid for a very good amplifier? Is it wise to pay some money for some vintage amp? The answer seems a resounding yes! Here... The ratio quality/price for a vintage amp able to drive some headphones with speakers,and with a flexibility of use superior to almost all contemporary amp. exceed the possibilities of all contemporary amplifier at ANY price...The money invested in my Sansui is peanuts in relation to the services it gives to me and there is no end to his capability for now and the future, except for sure the necessary minimal investment for his maintenance or repair...:L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #18,015 of 19,143
I used to like receivers, and still keep a few, but didn't use them for a long time due to lack of space.
I like my Mac 1700 and 1900. The 1700 has a tube fm I think, with nice warm sound. 1900 is all solid state. Both hv not been used for at least 15 years.
I hv Fisher 400 tube receiver too, but after a few hours the reception cud shift.
Still like those receivers from the 60s..
Oh yes, also hv a Dual 70s solid state with preset stations. Those were big features in the 70s.
Need to restore and tweak them if I were to use them again..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back