calling biwire experts!
Jun 11, 2004 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

taoster

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone know the advantage and disadvantage for the 2 different biwire setup below?

biwire.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 19
Are you using two sets of single run cables instead of internal biwire cables?

For what it's worth, I'm running my double run (shotgun) biwire the way you have it in set up 'A'. I'm not sure if there's any advantage to running it either way. Then again, if the point of biwiring is to separate the tweeters from woofer, then setup 'A' would be preferable. I doubt if there's any discernable real world difference though.

Jun 11, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 19
I think both setups are identical, but one might argue that setup B might be more suceptible to crosstalk.

I have mine wired up similar to B although not quite the same only beause the cables im using are so bloody thick/stiff and it looks neatest this way.

If you want to know more (alot more) email rod crawford.

Jun 12, 2004 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
Are you using two sets of single run cables instead of internal biwire cables?

yes, that's correct. As I will be terminating it myself using mixed matched spades and banana(the spade ended up costing too much so i bought some banana plugs instead), I'd like to go with one of the above setup and terminate to accordingly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
I'm not sure if there's any advantage to running it either way. Then again, if the point of biwiring is to separate the tweeters from woofer, then setup 'A' would be preferable. I doubt if there's any discernable real world difference though.

Based on reading and advice from dealers. Setup A is more common.
Setup B may cause crosstalk but minimise impedence(i still don't know what that means) due to the fact that the single run are only positive or negative and thus not interacting in a bad way... and therefore sounds better.

Anyone tried both and hear a difference?

Jun 14, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 19
Set up B looks messed up. You have a pos+ wire going to the neg- post and another wire is pos+ to pos+,,neg- to neg- . Unless im missing something,that doesnt make sense. Its like a short or something,or one set of speakers out of phase. I find it a bit difficult to tell by the drawing though. Also,why separate the Y connection on a set of wires so far as to reach the terminals of your speakers? Why not just use a lead from the other pair?
rs1smile.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n
Set up B looks messed up. You have a pos+ wire going to the neg- post and another wire is pos+ to pos+,,neg- to neg- . Unless im missing something,that doesnt make sense. Its like a short or something,or one set of speakers out of phase. I find it a bit difficult to tell by the drawing though. Also,why separate the Y connection on a set of wires so far as to reach the terminals of your speakers? Why not just use a lead from the other pair?
rs1smile.gif

You're missing quite a few things there ;p Have another look. Set up 'B' is simply using separate cables for positve and negative. Set up 'A' is using separate cables for tweeter and woofer. Also, in most biwire-able speakers, the 2 pair of speaker posts (4 posts) are pretty much equal distant.

Jun 14, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 19
Ok,,I wasnt understanding that T&W was Tweeter & Woofer. I would just worry about crosstalk at high volumes then,but i really dont even know how much of that youll get,assuming youll be using decent cables being youre going through all the trouble of biwiring them. Setup A looks easier anyway.
rs1smile.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n
Ok,,I wasnt understanding that T&W was Tweeter & Woofer.

yep yep, that's what they stand for. usually the binding post for tweeter and woofer are right next to each other and not wired direct as shown in the diagram.

Jun 14, 2004 at 2:46 AM Post #9 of 19
Yeah, offhand, I have to agree with what's already been said. Setup B looks more like a "separate monoblocks" type of setup at the cable level (if that makes any sense). But if there's any pseudo-shielding, it won't work (not usually done in speaker cables).

Jun 14, 2004 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 19
OK, since people seem to be confused, we're looking at the wiring of one speaker, with a tweeter and woofer. In diagram A, there is a wire to the tweeter, and a wire to the woofer. Due to the nature of the crossover in the speaker, the wire to the woofer will be carrying different frequencies than the wire to the tweeter. That's what a biwire setup is supposed to do.

Setup B is not a true biwire setup. One wire is carrying the positive signal to both drivers, while another is carrying the ground return. Since each wire is carrying all frequencies, you lose the advantage of having each wire carry only part of the frequency range. The only advantage I can see to B is that there is a larger guage of wire carrying signal.

Jun 14, 2004 at 12:21 PM Post #11 of 19
As I understand it if your speakers are bi-wire capable, then they will have separate signal hookups for the high and low frequency drivers. The hook up is then as in Setup A above and all the speaker cable wires in both pairs are of the same length. The benefits are the passive crossover nature of not having the action of the woofer masking the high frequency signal and output and of increasing the total available wire volume and surface area to carry the audio signal. I do not know of any benefit to Setup B's keeping both grounds in one run and both hots in another and it would seem to add wire length unnecessarily or encourage unequal length runs which would introduce timing problems. It is worthwhile before bi-wiring (or involving any major speaker cable improvement) to ascertain the quality and gauge of the internal speaker wiring. No sense using 8 gauge fine stranded pure copper hawsers to draw power six feet to speakers which have been plumbed with surplus telephone wire.

Jun 14, 2004 at 12:22 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
OK, since people seem to be confused, we're looking at the wiring of one speaker, with a tweeter and woofer. In diagram A, there is a wire to the tweeter, and a wire to the woofer. Due to the nature of the crossover in the speaker, the wire to the woofer will be carrying different frequencies than the wire to the tweeter. That's what a biwire setup is supposed to do.

Are you sure that each speaker cable will deliver a different frequency, one to the tweet and the other to the woofer? I don't see how that's possible. It's the same signal coming from the amp (unless you're bi-amping of course). This signal from the amp would only split up once it gets to the speaker crossover. Well, that's my understanding.

Jun 14, 2004 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
Setup B is not a true biwire setup. One wire is carrying the positive signal to both drivers, while another is carrying the ground return.

the speaker cable is not mono but the common stereo speaker cable, rather than hooking it up as setup A, you hook one stereo cable from the amp's +ve to the speaker's tweeter&woofer's +ve terminal, and do the same with the ground.

agile_one, in a circuit diagram they'd be identical but we are talking hi-fi here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back