Campfire Audio Polaris - New CA IEM
Feb 26, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #241 of 312
Been using my Polaris on almost a daily basis and very happy with the sound running of a Chord Mojo/Poly combo.
However yesterday I accidentally damaged the cable... one of the 4 wires got cut while walking on the street.
Not sure what happened if I got caught in something sharp while walking in a crowd.
So looking for a replacement cable as I'm waiting from my dealer to confirm the price of the original replacement copper one.

I have tried the Polaris several times with a 7N pure silver cable I made myself from high end pure silver litz, but find the mid highs a bit too fatiguing even though it's sounding a bit more detailed and revealing. Same amount of bass as the copper one albeit a bit better controlled.

No doubt CA has opted for a pure copper cable... instead of their silver plated copper litz. I've stayed away from silver plated copper as these tend to be even harsher that pure silver.

Any suggestions for an after market pure copper cable as replacement?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #242 of 312
The Campfire Audio Polaris from my persective :slight_smile:

9937178_l.jpg 9937179_l.jpg 9937180_l.jpg 9937181_l.jpg
9937182_l.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #244 of 312
For those of you interested in experimenting with 3rd party "upgrade" cables for the CA Polaris, I can highly recommend a new Taiwanese brand called Luminox Audio.
I tried several pure copper after market cables but there is something special going on with their Kilowatt mmcx... a very nice synergy...

Like mentioned previously in my previous post, the Polaris plays best with pure copper, it's no surprise that Campfire Audio bundled a pure copper cable with their Polaris.
My pure silver somehow caused a bit too much listening fatigue and I would certainly avoid silver plated copper that are usually a tad too harsh for the Polaris.

file.jpeg

Mar 11, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #245 of 312
Been using my Polaris on almost a daily basis and very happy with the sound running of a Chord Mojo/Poly combo.
However yesterday I accidentally damaged the cable... one of the 4 wires got cut while walking on the street.
Not sure what happened if I got caught in something sharp while walking in a crowd.
So looking for a replacement cable as I'm waiting from my dealer to confirm the price of the original replacement copper one.

I have tried the Polaris several times with a 7N pure silver cable I made myself from high end pure silver litz, but find the mid highs a bit too fatiguing even though it's sounding a bit more detailed and revealing. Same amount of bass as the copper one albeit a bit better controlled.

No doubt CA has opted for a pure copper cable... instead of their silver plated copper litz. I've stayed away from silver plated copper as these tend to be even harsher that pure silver.

Any suggestions for an after market pure copper cable as replacement?
You are onto something concerning copper cable. I had only been using an after marked silver cable with my Polaris until I read your post. I then tried the copper cable it came with. It tamed the highs. it took away a little detail but it got rid of the fatigue that was happening during longer sessions.

Mar 11, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #246 of 312
At CanJam NYC I asked Ken which cable is best for the Polaris and he said the included cable. So I wouldn't use anything other than a copper cable.

Apr 3, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #248 of 312
Best to email Campfire Audio support and check what they can offer... I assume it should still be in warranty.
Having said that, my cable was damaged and I was offered a replacement cable at a substantial discount, I opted for an aftermarket upgrade cable instead. (see my previous post earlier)

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #249 of 312
Best to email Campfire Audio support and check what they can offer... I assume it should still be in warranty.
Having said that, my cable was damaged and I was offered a replacement cable at a substantial discount, I opted for an aftermarket upgrade cable instead. (see my previous post earlier)
Yeah, I have no idea why I didn't think about contacting customer support.
I'll also check out the third party cables.
Thanks for the help!

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #250 of 312
FYI, they are now selling the copper litz cable that comes with the Polaris with either 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced connectors on their website. I picked up the 4.4mm for my Sony ZX-300 and this makes an awesome on the go combo.

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #252 of 312
I’m highly interested in these as a X0th birthday present to myself now. After auditioning them alongside the Andro, Jupiter, both iSines, the Xelento Remote and the ER-4XR The Polaris just gelled with my ears. The test notes I took during the audition are mildly embarrassing to re-read. Only question now is whether to go new, b-stock or secondhand. The import taxes and currency conversion turn the new models into a 4-figure IEM for me, but if the warranty support is good then it could well be worth going new to me as this would be the pair I’d run out of a burning building with, so I’d be fairly committed to keeping them running.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #254 of 312
I’m highly interested in these as a X0th birthday present to myself now. After auditioning them alongside the Andro, Jupiter, both iSines, the Xelento Remote and the ER-4XR The Polaris just gelled with my ears. The test notes I took during the audition are mildly embarrassing to re-read. Only question now is whether to go new, b-stock or secondhand. The import taxes and currency conversion turn the new models into a 4-figure IEM for me, but if the warranty support is good then it could well be worth going new to me as this would be the pair I’d run out of a burning building with, so I’d be fairly committed to keeping them running.

I find it interesting that you preferred the Polaris to both the Andros and Xelento. I've owned the Andros and the AK T8ie MKII in the past and ultimately I came back to the Polaris for a combination of the dynamic bass that the Andros didn't have and the build quality that the T8 didn't have even both of them had better technicalities than the Polaris.

Apr 12, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #255 of 312
I find it interesting that you preferred the Polaris to both the Andros and Xelento. I've owned the Andros and the AK T8ie MKII in the past and ultimately I came back to the Polaris for a combination of the dynamic bass that the Andros didn't have and the build quality that the T8 didn't have even both of them had better technicalities than the Polaris.

It’s definitely a funny thing. I did my auditioning as scientifically as I could. Same songs, same quality, same source and the Polaris came out on top for me. The only other IEMs I’m really tempted by at this point are an AAW W300 CIEM (also auditioned, but two months later in a different store with different songs which was dumb of me) and the Massdrop Plus, which I’d pair with an IEMatch to tame the output impedance of my sources. I guess it’s less about sound making me think and more about sound making me feel.
So I’m leaning heavily towards the Polaris based on my initial audition, plus a custom sleeve in lieu of ear tips (I have a friend who’s an audiologist and can take impressions for me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back