Campfire Audio Trifecta
Jun 18, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #466 of 898
Jun 18, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #468 of 898
Any recommendation for a DAP that suits the Trifecta? Preferably top out dollar amount at 1700
It's certainly not possible to make a blanket recommendation for a DAP if you don't tell us what your preferences are, I would say. A possible "improvement" is always given OWN expectations. So the question: what sound improvements would you like to see? Most importantly, what do you want the DAP to sound like? Bright? Neutral? Warm?

Jun 18, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #469 of 898
It's certainly not possible to make a blanket recommendation for a DAP if you don't tell us what your preferences are, I would say. A possible "improvement" is always given OWN expectations. So the question: what sound improvements would you like to see? Most importantly, what do you want the DAP to sound like? Bright? Neutral? Warm?
That’s fair. First and foremost, I need it to stream tidal, preferably offline capable as well. I would prefer it to be musical rather than neutral. Warm over bright, though I value soundstage and layering as well

Jun 18, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #470 of 898
That’s fair. First and foremost, I need it to stream tidal, preferably offline capable as well. I would prefer it to be musical rather than neutral. Warm over bright, though I value soundstage and layering as well
I'm not a DAP expert actually, but come to think of it:

"Hottest to coldest: N8ii (hot)> RS8 (hot)> 320 Max = M9+ (warm) > R6P2 (lukewarm) > SP3K (lukewarm)"
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ge-all-welcome.957426/page-3988#post-17593373

… I would say @Rockwell75 's recommendation is good for you if the Shanling M6U has the same sound tendency. As far as I know, Shanling is known to be rather warm.

What about the Sony? I read that Trifecta was tuned on the Sony's Flagship. If I were you, I'd see if you can find a used one in Classified.

Jun 18, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #471 of 898
I'm not a DAP expert actually, but come to think of it:

"Hottest to coldest: N8ii (hot)> RS8 (hot)> 320 Max = M9+ (warm) > R6P2 (lukewarm) > SP3K (lukewarm)"
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ge-all-welcome.957426/page-3988#post-17593373

… I would say @Rockwell75 's recommendation is good for you if the Shanling M6U has the same sound tendency. As far as I know, Shanling is known to be rather warm.

What about the Sony? I read that Trifecta was tuned on the Sony's Flagship. If I were you, I'd see if you can find a used one in Classified.
That’s good to know, whats the difference between the gold version and the not gold version?

Jun 28, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #473 of 898
So I finally got to try the Trifecta at CanJam (along with Campfires other newest offerings), and boy is it different. The whole "speakers in your ears" thing is definitely a true statement.

I was surprised that I was not getting a good fit however, I kept having to tweak the position in my ears to get a good seal.

Overall I would have loved to have more time with Trifecta, however I don't think I could justify that price tag. I think, for the money, Stellar Horizon is a better buy.

Jun 28, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #474 of 898
So I finally got to try the Trifecta at CanJam (along with Campfires other newest offerings), and boy is it different. The whole "speakers in your ears" thing is definitely a true statement.

I was surprised that I was not getting a good fit however, I kept having to tweak the position in my ears to get a good seal.

Different tips might solve the fit issue. I use Sednafit Crystals to great effect.

I think, for the money, Stellar Horizon is a better buy.

Solaris was my first love and I really liked the Stellar Horizon when I heard it so I definitely understand this sentiment. On the other hand Solaris is after a more traditionally “hi fi” analytic sound that Trifecta willfully eschews for pure bombastic analogue pleasure…so I’m not sure they should really be compared in an apples-apples way. They each have their strengths and identity and will appeal to people differently depending on tastes.

Jun 28, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #475 of 898
Solaris was my first love and I really liked the Stellar Horizon when I heard it so I definitely understand this sentiment. On the other hand Solaris is after a more traditionally “hi fi” analytic sound that Trifecta willfully eschews for pure bombastic analogue pleasure…so I’m not sure they should really be compared in an apples-apples way. They each have their strengths and identity and will appeal to people differently depending on tastes.
I think you are right, they shouldn’t be compared. I had a similar thought walking away from the booth. There is nothing like it and I can definitely see it pairing well with rock and blues. The “hifi” sound was definitely a positive.

Jul 8, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #476 of 898
The more time that passes since I was able to try Trifecta, the more I am curious about it. Although I was not initially blown away, I keep thinking of songs I would love to hear on it. Specifically Blues and Classic Rock tunes.

I think eventually these IEMs will be in my future. These were definitely different, and the more IEMs I listen to, the more I want “different”.

Jul 8, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #477 of 898
The more time that passes since I was able to try Trifecta, the more I am curious about it. Although I was not initially blown away, I keep thinking of songs I would love to hear on it. Specifically Blues and Classic Rock tunes.

I think eventually these IEMs will be in my future. These were definitely different, and the more IEMs I listen to, the more I want “different”.

This is bloody epic on Trfecta:

Jul 8, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #478 of 898
This is bloody epic on Trfecta:

I bet it is! Although I typically listen to full albums, I always make a playlist for every set of IEMs I buy.

Typically they are songs I think that pair well with that specific IEM. With the Trifecta there would definitely be some Pink Floyd.

Jul 8, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #479 of 898
Ah, PF Meddle. Epic on any iem’s, in my opinion. I haven’t heard the Trifectas yet, but I imagine this is a signature I’d like. Meddle is Pink Floyd’s best album, in my opinion, I’ve listened to it many many times. Enjoy.
I think John Hassell would match with Trifecta as well. If you haven’t heard his stuff, you may want to give him a listen. It’s an acquired taste.

Jul 8, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #480 of 898
Ah, PF Meddle. Epic on any iem’s, in my opinion. I haven’t heard the Trifectas yet, but I imagine this is a signature I’d like. Meddle is Pink Floyd’s best album, in my opinion, I’ve listened to it many many times. Enjoy.
I think John Hassell would match with Trifecta as well. If you haven’t heard his stuff, you may want to give him a listen. It’s an acquired taste.

Echoes is from Meddle-- this is the version recorded for Live at Pompeii. Floyd has never been better imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back