Can a stereo amplifier be used as a headphone amplifier?
Feb 25, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #46 of 49
What about tube amps? I have an old tube amp, preamp, and radio that I pulled from a busted up console that sounds really nice - a lot like my McIntosh C220 and NOS Valves VRD's in PP mode but without the guts of course.

I would love to make this into a headphone amp. Would a setup like this work for tubes?

6ffcbd19.gif

Quote:

A slightly more elaborate scheme is to use two resistors as a voltage divider across each channel. Here, the output impedance of the amplifier is lower (essentially the resistance of the two resistors in parallel) and the output voltage is less dependent on the impedance of the headphones. Although the effective output impedance is lower, the amplifier itself sees the voltage divider as a series load (which is good). Begin with R2 = 10 ohms (1/2W) and scale R2 up or down to adjust volume.

I know if you use too high an impedance with speakers on the wrong tap it can cause serious problems but would this be the same with headphones?

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #47 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Onkyo 9555 does a very good job of driving headphones. Full bodied and solid sound. I dont find the need to get a dedicated HP amp at home because of that.

Mine too.

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #49 of 49
Just reviving this old thread
biggrin.gif

I was wondering if I could use my Jolida tube amplifier as a headphone amplifier.
This tube amp has variable and fixed outputs. These outputs are 1.8V.
What do you guys think?  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back