Can someone explain me that..
Mar 8, 2013 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TommyNavara

100+ Head-Fier
I've asked something like 20 times if it's possible to bypass the ipod intenal dac here.
So every time the answer was no, no, no you can skip the amplifier through a LOD cable and nothing else.
Then  i've found this on the internet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Chy1Gy7872c

So basically they claim that they "bypass" the ipod dac with that usb lod.
How this can be?

And if it's possible,
there must be a way to do that on other dac/amps like Dzero or E07K from FiiO.

Probably i'm missing something.

I mean, really.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 12
And again No... There is a Licensed chip inside that ALO unit that they paid fees to Apple for that allows their hardware to bypass the iPod's DAC... Apple doesn't sell that chip to just anyone... Probably not to FiiO or iBasso and for sure not in a $80 DAC. :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 12
Apple need a certification to allow a DAC to connect and interface with ipod LOD /Lightning connector , they asked companies to pay for this capability so they can get the made for ipod/iphone/ipad sign on their product. allegedly you can jailbreak your IOS device and use the CCK to get DAC compability , but last i check not all of them work

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 12
Proprietary s*****t.
Well now i'm wondering if i jailbreak an ipod i can do the trick and use the FiiO e07k as a DAC.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Proprietary s*****t.
Well now i'm wondering if i jailbreak an ipod i can do the trick and use the FiiO e07k as a DAC.

You're assuming that an $80 DAC/amp has a better DAC than your iPod then....which iPod do you have?

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
You're assuming that an $80 DAC/amp has a better DAC than your iPod then....which iPod do you have?

I don't have any Ipod, i'm searching for a player to use my FiiO portably.
And it doesn't matter if it costs 80 or 80k. Do you measure audio quality based on USDollars?

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #7 of 12
All achmed is saying , is that there is a good chance the DAC section of the IPOD is actually better than what the e07k
audio quality is not measured by the price , but it sure comes with one

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Otoh, the ipod will have stupidly high impedance unless it is a Touch - or maybe a Nano?

In that case wouldn't a portable amp designed to take an input from the iPod lineout be a more convenient solution, instead of bypassing the DAC too?

Quote:
I don't have any Ipod, i'm searching for a player to use my FiiO portably.

Since you don't have an iPod anyway, then you can skip that option altogether and consider a few others, but do check if your Fiio works with the USB Audio on either one of these:

1) iPad with CCK (check if the newer Lightning units work with your Fiio) - it works a little differently, which is closer to a notebook computer, as long as you have a CCK and the DAC doesn't need power off the USB bus.

2) Latest Android tablets that work with USB Audio, plus a USB OTG cable (note : not all running Jellybean may work) - Better choice since you can buy the cheapest one that can do USB audio and buy two microSDHCs instead of paying Apple a lot more money for a 64gb tablet. Trust me, drag and drop over dealing with iTunes can be a lot of fun. The only reasons why I have an iPad2 and not a Galaxy Tab is a) i got it as a gift from my mother who thought I was just being incredibly cheap being the only one who doesn't have one, b) it looks neater propped up on the original Apple dock/stand and the the CCK is connected to the port on the back of the dock, and c) because of that I got my magazine subscriptions off iTunes. I'm not letting go of my digital MAD at this point.

---

Then there's the redundant option :

3) Sell your E07, buy E17, then buy the Fiio X3 to stream the audio to the E17 via SPDIF.

---

Or the not redundant option :

4) Forget using the E07 portably and just get the X3, since it's basically the E17 with a player (screen, controls, card reader)

Why X3 instead of an iPod? Lots of arguments on the Classic's HDD vs microSDHC on the other (locked) threads, but just to sum up what I remember: Those who want HDD prefer that when you buy a player, whether its a $200-ish X3 or a $900 HiFiMan, the manufacturer should include the HDD for the price; also at least one person was concerned about losing a microSDHC while swapping them out in the subway. If you're not likely to feel that whatever music in one 32gb or 64gb isn't gonna do it for you for a short ride in a crowded train full of people who just want to get to or from work and will not move tehir tired legs while you look for a tiny memory card (for all they know you might just be a perv looking up their skirts), then several microSDHC's might be for you instead of a high-cap HDD that wears down mechanically since it has moving parts.

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

In that case wouldn't a portable amp designed to take an input from the iPod lineout be a more convenient solution, instead of bypassing the DAC too?

Since you don't have an iPod anyway, then you can skip that option altogether and consider a few others, but do check if your Fiio works with the USB Audio on either one of these:

1) iPad with CCK (check if the newer Lightning units work with your Fiio) - it works a little differently, which is closer to a notebook computer, as long as you have a CCK and the DAC doesn't need power off the USB bus.

2) Latest Android tablets that work with USB Audio, plus a USB OTG cable (note : not all running Jellybean may work) - Better choice since you can buy the cheapest one that can do USB audio and buy two microSDHCs instead of paying Apple a lot more money for a 64gb tablet. Trust me, drag and drop over dealing with iTunes can be a lot of fun. The only reasons why I have an iPad2 and not a Galaxy Tab is a) i got it as a gift from my mother who thought I was just being incredibly cheap being the only one who doesn't have one, b) it looks neater propped up on the original Apple dock/stand and the the CCK is connected to the port on the back of the dock, and c) because of that I got my magazine subscriptions off iTunes. I'm not letting go of my digital MAD at this point.

---

Then there's the redundant option :

3) Sell your E07, buy E17, then buy the Fiio X3 to stream the audio to the E17 via SPDIF.

---

Or the not redundant option :

4) Forget using the E07 portably and just get the X3, since it's basically the E17 with a player (screen, controls, card reader)

Why X3 instead of an iPod? Lots of arguments on the Classic's HDD vs microSDHC on the other (locked) threads, but just to sum up what I remember: Those who want HDD prefer that when you buy a player, whether its a $200-ish X3 or a $900 HiFiMan, the manufacturer should include the HDD for the price; also at least one person was concerned about losing a microSDHC while swapping them out in the subway. If you're not likely to feel that whatever music in one 32gb or 64gb isn't gonna do it for you for a short ride in a crowded train full of people who just want to get to or from work and will not move tehir tired legs while you look for a tiny memory card (for all they know you might just be a perv looking up their skirts), then several microSDHC's might be for you instead of a high-cap HDD that wears down mechanically since it has moving parts.

Thank you very much bro!!
I'm looking forward to the X3 when it comes out and i hope i will make a good use of my brand new andes too, as i'm not prone to sell him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back