Can someone recommend a good laptop for listening to high quality audio?
Aug 22, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 9
Doesn't really matter, the E17 is an USB DAC, so it's self-contained.

The only influence the laptop can have is in regard to how "clean" the power to the USB ports is, but I don't think it's gonna make much of a difference regardless of the model you choose...

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 9
Consider versatility. I want a laptop with a CD drive so I can rip CD's, as well as make CD's. I want lots of hard drive storage. I want usb ports. I want S/PDIF input and output. And, I want stereo analog input/output. This stuff would allow me to connect the laptop to home theatre for playback from stereo system speakers, as well as download from digital or analog source components.  

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Consider versatility. I want a laptop with a CD drive so I can rip CD's, as well as make CD's. I want lots of hard drive storage. I want usb ports. I want S/PDIF input and output. And, I want stereo analog input/output. This stuff would allow me to connect the laptop to home theatre for playback from stereo system speakers, as well as download from digital or analog source components.  

I have a Compaq Presario CQ56 that is absolute lowest of the low end. It doesn't effect audio ON THE CONDITION you have a DAC of some sort AND the audio itself is high quality. Realistically most sub $300 headphones (in my meager experience) can be powered just fine from any laptop. HP makes a line of "Dr. Dre audio engine equipped" laptops but their "DR.Dre audio" products... I'm not a movie guy but if you want to watch movies ON your laptop most 15.6 inch screens will do you just fine, and I suggest a dedicated audio out card for music. Personally I use a Cakewalk UA-1G it has RCA outputs and inputs, a 1/4" jack input and a headphone out; but for dedicated media centers you will want something like a SlingBox solo.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 9
I just bought this laptop 

http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX31A/

I am worried because i just noticed the headphone jack is for both audio in and out.  That means it can be for headphones or a mic?

Do you think this will lower the quality of the sound?

I will be using the AH-D400 and the fiio e17 portable amp

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

You won't get good audio with any laptop.
With a PC, you get plenty of storage, more USB ports than you'll ever need.
Just add a sound card, and you'll have Dolby/Surround + Good Audio.

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #8 of 9
My original post was rhetorical. I have a great laptop, a Dell Inspiron 14. Using it with a Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD external sound card, I want for nothing. Audio stored in my iTunes library, from 256k to ALAC, sounds as good as SACD direct, The only problem,  getting DAT to computer, was recently solved with an M-Audio CO2 to interface with the X-FI HD.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
I just bought this laptop 

http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX31A/

I am worried because i just noticed the headphone jack is for both audio in and out.  That means it can be for headphones or a mic?

Do you think this will lower the quality of the sound?

I will be using the AH-D400 and the fiio e17 portable amp

Like I've said before, the E17 is an USB device, so you're gonna plug it in one of the USB ports. It is self-contained, it doesn't matter how good or how bad the built-in sound is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back