Can we get Grado to make more HF-1s?
Oct 3, 2006 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97

seefeel

100+ Head-Fier
There seems to be quite a few people that missed out on or want to buy the HF-1s. Do you think if we got enough of us to sign up for buying a pair in a group buy we could get Grado to make another batch?

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 97
I dont think so. I dont really want them to because it will defeat the entire purpose of "limited" edition

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 97
Probably not. From what I understand John was not to pleased to see more than a few scum-bags cashing in off of his generosity, and the Grado name.

Consider that bridge burned.

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25
I thought it was pretty low to see phones that sold for ~150 new, if i rember correctly, sold for over 300. Expecially when its to another HF member.

They were $200 new. And it's much less horrible than what has happened to HP1000s, IMO.

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 97
Wow. Definitely news to me. Is this because an extremely limited amount were manufactured or something? (i.e. people bought like 5 and then sold 4 for more than the were originally priced at?) If this is the case, that IS pretty low... Interesting to see these kind of poles at the same forum. Some giving old gear away free of charge in the FS forum, and others cutting the legs out of family owned companies like Grado by undermining their special, and more importantly exclusive to Head-fi, dealings...

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 97
I don't see how what happened would be anyway unique to Grados, sounds pretty much like a standard market reaction when a highly sought-after but limited product is introduced.

Of course I would like to own a pair myself but I'm not going to pay $350 for something that cost less as new, but I'm sure that is a good deal for someone who really wants the cans and missed the original sale.

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
They were $200 new. And it's much less horrible than what has happened to HP1000s, IMO.

I'm all for supply and demand [go capitilasm], but I think that with something like the the HFs, or the A250s, which in te HFs case are deff only a head-fi thing, and in the A250s case a deal that was brought up by members of HF and only avaliable in small numbers, if you get somethign that is great, but not righ tfr you, just trade it off or pass it on, dont try and turn a quick $150.

JMO of course.
-greg

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Probably not. From what I understand John was not to pleased to see more than a few scum-bags cashing in off of his generosity, and the Grado name.

Consider that bridge burned.

He actually made another small batch of 20 or so, so obviously he doesn't care that much...

But making more would really defeat the point of a limited edition.

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #11 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
But making more would really defeat the point of a limited edition.

Which is what, exactly? To make the price go up, so that only collectors have them?

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 97
The 20 HF-1s that were sold in March were extras from the initial batch, not an extra run. I highly doubt HF-1s will ever return. But I wouldnt be surprised to see a new Grado that is in a simmilar league as the HF-1, given the amount of popularity it has.

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #14 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
Which is what, exactly? To make the price go up, so that only collectors have them?

The point of a limited edition is more about homage and respect for everything Head-Fi has provided for Grado over the past 5 years. It's a special sign of respect for people's dedication and a gift back to the community. It's not about selling some uber product for profit like the rest of the Grado line-up. The HF-1 was a special, unqiue (Both in that its dedication to Head-Fi and in its limited run) gift to the Head-Fi community.

That's how I interpret at least.

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #15 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25
I'm all for supply and demand [go capitilasm], but I think that with something like the the HFs, or the A250s, which in te HFs case are deff only a head-fi thing, and in the A250s case a deal that was brought up by members of HF and only avaliable in small numbers, if you get somethign that is great, but not righ tfr you, just trade it off or pass it on, dont try and turn a quick $150.

JMO of course.
-greg

I owned both the HF-1 and the A/250. I sold them both... Though both new owners are Head-Fi members, and I think I sold them for a fair price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back