Can you damage your headphones with bass boost trough EQ when plugged directly into a motherboard?
Dec 31, 2023 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MainScentAuthor

New Head-Fier
So I accidentally ran my new HD 560S with an insane sub-bass boost in EqualizerAPO for about 2 days.

My headphones are plugged in directly into my old gigabyte motherboard, no amp whoever volume is not a problem normally my Windows volume is somewhere between 10% and 20%.

I didn't know much about EQ but I already had Peace installed because I used it to EQ my bass-bloated earbuds, so Windows updates and Peace tells me to reinstall EqualizerAPO, and instead of deleting it and reinstalling it assuming it is like other programs like a dumb ass I install it again on top of the old one. then I go to peace and turn down the treble a bit to make the sound closer to my old headphones and I was like whoa turning down the treble really makes a difference and brings out the bass so I don't think much of it and use them normally.

During the 2 days, I felt this sort of uncomfortable pressure and discomfort when any sort of bass played but I thought it was just because they had more bass than my old headphones, anyway late at night during the second day I hopped into CS2 and when I was playing nuke like usual my FPS drop horribly causing audio distortion so when this was happening someone throws a grenade and it distorts, so this is when I could feel my drivers pushing so much air this was the moment when I was like hold up something is wrong, so in that instant I turned off peace and after the game, I decide to experiment, I make a flat EQ and I turn it on and off while playing something and it doesn't sound the same like it should, so I check the EqualizerAPO folder where by chance I open for the first time the configuration editor and find out that there was this insane boost in the lower frequencies applied ontop of my Peace EQ and that section in the analysis panel goes into the stratosphere and is full of red which means insane amounts of clipping, after that I panic so much I didn't even took a good look at the graph so I don't know exactly what frequencies were boosted or if it was really that boosted or I was just really zoomed in.

In a panic I deleted everything in the configurator I uninstalled both APO and Peace and deleted every folder, then I installed them again, and low and behold my treble EQ was now working out fine and it was the only change in the analysis panel.

Anyway, I've been wondering for days if I damaged the drivers in some way, I'm not even sure if they sound right or not since I didn't use them for long without EQ, does my motherboard have enough power to damage the drivers? does the volume on Windows I was using them with play a factor?

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 10
It's really unlikely, even a gaming motherboard doesn't put enough power to damage drivers on a 560s. You'd have to be at such a high volume for a long time. Try a song like Summer love by 1da Banton on YouTube music with no eq and if the bass at normal volume levels sounds normal your fine. Those benefit from a mild amplifier but don't need anything crazy. Even a $9 Apple USB to 3.5mm adapter will give all the power for those you could need.
If you need crazy bass, get the Moondrop Chu II for $22 and they're great out of the box for hip-hop and EDM.

Jan 1, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 10
How do they sound? You will know if they're damaged

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 10
It's really unlikely, even a gaming motherboard doesn't put enough power to damage drivers on a 560s. You'd have to be at such a high volume for a long time. Try a song like Summer love by 1da Banton on YouTube music with no eq and if the bass at normal volume levels sounds normal your fine. Those benefit from a mild amplifier but don't need anything crazy. Even a $9 Apple USB to 3.5mm adapter will give all the power for those you could need.
If you need crazy bass, get the Moondrop Chu II for $22 and they're great out of the box for hip-hop and EDM.
Thank you for the response. don't worry that weird bass boost EQ is gone, now looking back it was very noticeable when it was on. That song like other bassy songs seems to sound ok nothing weird going on. I am planning on getting a DAC/amp, later on, I've been considering the Fiio K11. I have never been into crazy bass the HD560s already have more than my broken Sennheiser headset which was already an ok amount of bass for me and I never bothered boosting it with EQ.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 10
How do they sound? You will know if they're damaged
They sound normal on almost every song but I'm not sure since I didn't use them much before the stratospheric bass EQ happened, there is this one part in this specific song where there is this kind of metallic sharp sound which I don't get through my earbuds but It might just be the forward treble that brings it out of the recording(my sony earbuds are really bassy and the treble and mids are recessed) I can't notice anything similar on any other song, also some voices in movies and tv shows sound kind of dampened compared to my old headset but it might just be me getting a fuller sound due the better bass extension. Also, I noticed this kind of vibration sound that I get when I tap hard on the left earcup with my finger which doesn't happen when I do the same on the right earcup, I can't replicate it by shaking them or shaking my head while wearing them, I also can't replicate it by generating low-frequency kicks or with a driver shaker so it might just be the plastic construction, not sure, also It might have already been present before the EQ, I don't know.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 10
They sound normal on almost every song but I'm not sure since I didn't use them much before the stratospheric bass EQ happened, there is this one part in this specific song where there is this kind of metallic sharp sound which I don't get through my earbuds but It might just be the forward treble that brings it out of the recording(my sony earbuds are really bassy and the treble and mids are recessed) I can't notice anything similar on any other song, also some voices in movies and tv shows sound kind of dampened compared to my old headset but it might just be me getting a fuller sound due the better bass extension. Also, I noticed this kind of vibration sound that I get when I tap hard on the left earcup with my finger which doesn't happen when I do the same on the right earcup, I can't replicate it by shaking them or shaking my head while wearing them, I also can't replicate it by generating low-frequency kicks or with a driver shaker so it might just be the plastic construction, not sure, also It might have already been present before the EQ, I don't know.
Your headphones are fine. I've applied the most ridiculous bass boosts on my headphone collection and only in combination with a powerful amp you can damage the drivers...

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 10
Can you explain why? I've seen stories of people blowing out drivers or burning coils, and also heard over-excursion can damage drivers too
Cause EQ can't damage headphones.

You can only blow your drivers if you are giving them insane amounts of power or if there's any problem in your amp and it fries the driver.
So unless you have listened to absurd volumen levels, there shouldnt be any problem.

Jan 2, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #10 of 10
When you had the bass boost on, did you hear any rattling from the drivers? If the drivers were to hit excursion limits you'd hear an audible crackle. Generally speaking headphones are designed to be played well above maximum hearing levels and it is unlikely you'll damage them with just a bit too much bass boost - unless you were bottoming out the drivers for a long time. As far as molten voice coils and other types of damage, it's also unlikely and you'll probably smell it when they melt.

TL;DR they're probably fine. Especially if there's no channel imbalance or other obvious issues.

Also when people burn in headphones, they often do it above normal listening levels and sometimes with a bit of bass boost. No comment on whether or not this is a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back