Canare Starquad Colors
May 16, 2012 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TunneLVisioN42

100+ Head-Fier
Doing my first recable with a canare starquad cable, the conductors only have 2 colors.
White and blue (2 white 2 blue)
Im going to be using 1 Blue for left channel and 1 White for right channel and take the remaining blue and white twist them together and use them as a ground my problem is, how do I then know which of the 2 white and blue wires I used for the ground for the jack side of the wire and which 2 I used for left and right channel? it seems to me it would have been much better getting a 3 conductor wire with 3 different colors, and its making my first recable irritating! argh!

May 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 17
Can I get some input? im sitting here ready to solder

May 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 17
This is why you should use a multimeter to tell you which is which.

Or you can label each wire withe painter's tape and pen/marker on each end then you can know in a jiffy.

Why not go one whites for signal, blues for ground?  Take one white, and one blue, and twist them together - make sure that both pairs are twisted in the same direction.  Then take the two twisted pairs and twist the pairs together into one cable below the y-split, again in the same direction that you twisted each of them individually.  You get a neat cable, looking like this below the y-split, grounds separating the signals a bit.

And this should have gone in the DIY Forum.

May 16, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

I prefer Blue for signal, white for ground. 

I think your right.
I believe electricians use black & white for ground, and color for signal.

May 16, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 17
ended up using blues for signal and whites for ground and if the channels are backwards ill just switch the blues around, Sorry for the dumb question I was just extremely frustrated and patience was running thin, and on second thought this should have gone in DIY you are correct I apologize, just making sure I was not missing something really dumb.

Thanks everyone, good to learn.

May 16, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Not only that, the multi-meter is a great tool if you have to troubleshoot your cables to check solder joints, etc.

Can a multi-meter tell me if my joints are done well enough or need to be cleaned and redone? i have seated the wires twice now but as I am learning they still do look sloppy although I made sure the joints are not crossed (oh the flurry of profanity confirming I must be missing my third hand)

May 16, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
Can a multi-meter tell me if my joints are done well enough or need to be cleaned and redone? i have seated the wires twice now but as I am learning they still do look sloppy although I made sure the joints are not crossed (oh the flurry of profanity confirming I must be missing my third hand)

The meter will allow you to check resistance (Ohms) for each wire to see if they are all the same, or within spec.  The meter won't tell you that you've done a crappy job of soldering, but it can lead you to where the problems might exist.  If the joints look sloppy, then there might be some reviews of proper soldering in order.  Using a flux, if needed, tinning the wire ends first and then keeping the soldering iron tinned through the process of your work is all essential in making a great soldered joint.  The right iron temperature is also important.

May 16, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #10 of 17
The DT830 digital multi-meter can usually be ordered for around $7, just make sure it come with the 9 volt battery.

May 16, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 17
Yeah I get how to solder I am just not good with the handy work in such a small space with little experience, that said the joints are not crossed and the wires are jointed correctly and a nice shiny silver (speaking of silver I am using silver bearing solder) they are just bloated and ugly looking haha I will post a picture later.

May 16, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 17
Too much solder?

May 17, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 17
Dunno but my left channel is considerably weaker although the channels are coming on correct sides this probably mean I should clean up my left channel contact on the driver? because I think I got the jack end left channel pretty good ( almost covering whole middle pin)

May 17, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #14 of 17
I just cannot solder a good joint, right channels low now T_T

May 17, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #15 of 17
You didn't damage the the right driver, did you? 
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back