CanJam Chicago 2022 Impressions Thread (June 18-19, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #61 of 390
Try out the spirit Valkyria titanium (there is a 6k version black) I thought it was the most impressive headphone at canjam.
Yes, same here. I thought the black Pulsar was the better headphone compared to Valkyria. I’ve added the Pulsar to my want list :smile_phones:

Jun 19, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #62 of 390
Listening to gear is always fun, but the best part was seeing people!

The ZMF room was full of awesome stuff, and it was great to see Zach and Bevin in person again. The new OTL with the Auteur Classic and Atrium was a highlight.

ioBEziU.jpg

NJe4o5E.jpg

MAsNV2C.jpg

It was also great to be able to talk to the Abyss guys. I’ve been a big fan for a long time. They were nice and insightful. It’s so interesting to talk to the people behind the headphones.

Jun 19, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #64 of 390
No, there was not a Decware citing at the show unfortunately. There we’re however stabilized wood versions of the Atrium. This stabilized Atrium was on a Glen OTL and I couldn’t stop freaking listening. The Atriums sounded much better on the Glen than the Cayin HA-300mk2. Not to mention the stabilized Atriums with the new purple chassis was a looker with sound qualities to match.

946AA815-9E65-4EB1-9D87-39C86815514F.jpeg
@Slim1970 - the amp in the photo is NOT the Glenn OTL... It is Glenn's EL3N amp. VERY different animal :wink:

Jun 19, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #65 of 390
Did anyone find out how much the zmf decware amp will cost?

Scratch the question above I just read a comment on a previous page that the price has yet to be determined.

Did anyone try the Aeolus or Atticus on the decware or cayin 300b amp?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #66 of 390
Jun 19, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #67 of 390
How does the Aeras sound compared to the BHSE? I'm sure the T2 is the best amp but the Aeras looks very intriguing, very elegant form factor and design.
I preferred the bass response (a bit more energy) and less forward mids of the Aeras over the BHSE. That combined with the smaller form factor put the Aeras on top for me except it is more expensive than the BH as I recall.

Jun 19, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #68 of 390
I preferred the bass response (a bit more energy) and less forward mids of the Aeras over the BHSE. That combined with the smaller form factor put the Aeras on top for me except it is more expensive than the BH as I recall.
The Aeras retails for $6700. The BHSE is nominally $7k, depending on options.

For a detailed comparison of the two, you might want to check @number1sixerfan 's recent postings:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/qui...e60-baby-orpheus.930051/page-32#post-17007988

Jun 19, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #69 of 390
If Kerry's DIY T2 and the Woo Audio 3ES Elite (or standard) are present, can somebody compare the two with the same pair of headphones? I'm very curious about how the two amps compare. Thanks! I really wish there was a CanJam closer to where I live. I'm jealous of you all :smiley:

How does the Aeras sound compared to the BHSE? I'm sure the T2 is the best amp but the Aeras looks very intriguing, very elegant form factor and design.
I feel like BHSE with right dac (Playback Designs, Mojo Mystique, Rockna) and right cables ( JPS Black PAC) could have great great potentials close enough to the more costly ones

Jun 19, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #70 of 390
Yes, same here. I thought the black Pulsar was the better headphone compared to Valkyria. I’ve added the Pulsar to my want list :smile_phones:
Sorry. Got busy and forgot to text you regarding the Solataire P. I heard the Valkyria. I thought it was good, but not great. Much prefer both my Susvara and 1266TC. Its sound stage was small and had more of an ethereal sound thereby limited in its imaging.

Best amp was by far the Wells audio Head trip III level 2 solid state amp. When paired with the Cipher Level 2 tube dac and the commander level 3 tube Preamp and Susvara, it was the best headphone listening experience i have ever had. It was effortless in driving the Sus. I thought it was better with sus than 1266tc

If Kerry's DIY T2 and the Woo Audio 3ES Elite (or standard) are present, can somebody compare the two with the same pair of headphones? I'm very curious about how the two amps compare. Thanks! I really wish there was a CanJam closer to where I live. I'm jealous of you all :smiley:
I did hear Kerry’s T2 with the stax SR-X9000, but Woo Audio was not there

Jun 19, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #71 of 390
Haha, they are almost as hyper detailed as the SR1A’s with a much better bottom end. The clarity, spaciousness and instrument separation all there. What I didn’t like was the build. It’s plastic or some variation of plastic and to be honest they felt cheap unlike the driver tech and sound.

Its also a smaller ribbon driver than the SR1-a and its not considered their TOTL headphone as indicated by the price difference. Its just different.

Jun 19, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #72 of 390
Left with the Aeras. Five trips to Kerry’s room broke my will to say no.

Jun 19, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #74 of 390
Jun 19, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #75 of 390
Sorry. Got busy and forgot to text you regarding the Solataire P. I heard the Valkyria. I thought it was good, but not great. Much prefer both my Susvara and 1266TC. Its sound stage was small and had more of an ethereal sound thereby limited in its imaging.

Best amp was by far the Wells audio Head trip III level 2 solid state amp. When paired with the Cipher Level 2 tube dac and the commander level 3 tube Preamp and Susvara, it was the best headphone listening experience i have ever had. It was effortless in driving the Sus. I thought it was better with sus than 1266tc
I listened to the same Wells Audio DAC and amp with the Audeze LCD 5 and it was my reference sound signature for other gear during the show. Truly outstanding.

So... any listening notes or impressions on the new RAAL?
First impression was that it was very speaker-like and while the build seemed a bit flimsy at first once on the head it felt great. Synergy with the RAAL tube amp was outstanding. I'm not sure the combo is practical for my current use case but if you are seeking a two channel type sound with excellent frequency response, air and sense of space, it may be right up your alley. The gentleman at the RAAL table was also a true pleasure to interact with. Proud of their gear and rightly so, quite unique in the market.

Damn pretty, will keep an eye on impressions.
When are they supposed to be released?
I listened to the Pulsar very briefly out of a Headamp GSXII amp and honestly didn't think they were anything special. A bit laid back, almost veiled, and didn't seem worth the substantial cost to me. Conversely, I had listened to the Valkyries earlier in the show and found them beautifully lush, really coherent and well executed sonic signature if you like a lush sound, but the Pulsar didn't make much impression. Caveat is that I listened to it near the end of the show which can be unfair as one's ears lose their discriminating power, but brief impression is that they sounded a bit lifeless to me. YMMV of course and perhaps out of a different amp they could open up and shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back