CanJam Dallas 2023 Impressions Thread (November 11-12, 2023)
Nov 16, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #196 of 300
+1 to that, as I'm a big fan of the Kublai Khan as well. It's so well-extended on both ends. I'm glad you got a good fit with it, as I think that's the key to making sure it sounds the way it should. In this case, a good seal is just not enough, as the shell needs to mate with the concha in order for the BCD to do its work... which probably means that a custom Kublai Khan is the way to go if at all possible.

:open_mouth:
Totally agree. Good to know, I didn't realize they made it as a CIEM as well, why do you tell me this stuff? haha.
p.S.
i didn't introduce myself, but I did recognize your voice from previous canjam preview vids. it was awesome to geek out over the kublai khan with you at the end of day 2. We also talked about the stage 3.

Nov 16, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #197 of 300
Totally agree. Good to know, I didn't realize they made it as a CIEM as well, why do you tell me this stuff? haha.
p.S.
i didn't introduce myself, but I did recognize your voice from previous canjam preview vids. it was awesome to geek out over the kublai khan with you at the end of day 2. We also talked about the stage 3.

Well, typically they don't offer the Kublai Khan as a custom, but it is possible to make it into one. And to maximize the Kublai Khan's potential, that's definitely the route that I would take, personally.

Haha, yes, that's me! The Stage 3 is special as well, as a baby or discount Kublai Khan in a sense. Not as well-extended but sharing the same general signature, I could definitely see people picking that up for now, and then graduating to the Kublai Khan later.

Nov 17, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #198 of 300
Nov 17, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #199 of 300
Nov 17, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #200 of 300
How did you guys get the canjam shirts? Are those free or did you have to pay? I did not see them when I went in on Saturday morning.

Nov 17, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #202 of 300
Can I still order?

Nov 17, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #203 of 300
The t-shirts were available to purchase at the registration table both days of the show, but we didn't have any left over after the doors closed on Sunday. A few sizes were already sold out by mid-afternoon on Saturday. All commemorative gear for CanJam events - t-shirts, pens, posters, etc. - are limited in quantity and once they're gone they're gone.

We recommend keeping an eye on the CanJam announcement threads for announcements, as the best way to make sure you can get something is to order it ahead of time. They'll look like this, and we'll also have them featured on the homepage until the pre-order window closes.

Nov 17, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #204 of 300

Nov 17, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #205 of 300
20231117_180150.jpg

These arrived today. Side-effect of CanJam Dallas 😬

Nov 18, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #206 of 300
i have a crackatwoa in a box waiting to be made. i was curious which ZMF is your favorite on it. i have an aeolus on a crack with speedball and went to canjam with the hopes to upgrade.

i was so indecisive when listening to them at the show because they are all great. i was sure i was going to get an AC… then i fell in love with the VC… then i gave another try to the AO on the OTLs and finally understood what people were saying about it. i basically have no idea how to decide, but i know the amp will be a crackatwoa.
The Auteur is a great pairing, and was my favorite at the time on the C2A. I didn't have the opportunity to hear an atrium open or closed on it, but I would assume they would be equally amazing, if not better. Let's get that build going! :)

Nov 18, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #208 of 300
Did anyone hear the Empy 2 and Diana MR? Looking for something at 3k budget but can't decide between the two...

I did. Will drop my show impressions over weekends

Nov 18, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #209 of 300
Did anyone hear the Empy 2 and Diana MR? Looking for something at 3k budget but can't decide between the two...
I did, albeit not exactly back to back and not on the same source gear. Across both days I heard the Empy 2 on Dave (w/ and w/o mscaler), Hugo TT, and full Lina Stack (and maybe an LTA amp, I gotta check my notes). I only heard the Diana MR on the Woo Tube Mini. Tough choice. I will probably get both. The Empy 2 comfort really impressed me. I wear headphones basically all day, to the point my kids tease about the basically permanent indentations on my head. The Empy 2 were the most comfortable headphones I’ve even worn. It’s like they were made for my head. Sound quality was excellent. Nothing really stood out to me as bad. Maybe a hint of compression on some really dynamic tracks I tested. The build refinement was excellent and really impressed me. The Diana MR to me was a notch down in build refinement, but still very good. The frame certainly feels well done. It’s the pads that detract a bit to me, but still they feel great. Sound quality to me was better with the MR. It felt more live, maybe faster. But I’ll reiterate that was completely different source gear and the Woo room where I heard the MR was much quieter. Like I said, I will probably get both. Leaning towards the Empy 2 first and it’s the comfort that stood out the most. Followed by build refinement.

Nov 18, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #210 of 300
Going through the thread, I realized that I missed out on the opportunity to listen to the HE-1--definitely something I need to remember for future canjams if someone brings it. I wanted to add some more feedback after my original post. After giving my experience more time to breathe as time passes, I think CanJam was incredibly well run--when I pictured it in my head before CanJam I was worried it would be really slapdash just because of the logistics of having a bunch of booths and headphones galore etc, but honestly the CanJam folks did a great job, and the vendors at damned near every table/booth had gear that made sense for the headphones or IEMS in question. I also loved that some booths, like Meze, had so many different options to listen to their headphones, so you could get an idea for how things sounded and whether their stuff scaled well with higher end gear. All in all, CanJam Dallas was a success in my mind, and I am *very* much looking forward to the next opportunity to come to a CanJam in the future.

I'm planning on going to another audio themed convention in the spring, and I will be comparing my experience to CanJam in terms of how approachable it is, how well run, etc.

Thanks to all who worked on making CanJam Dallas a reality--it was one hell of a time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back