CanJam NYC 2024 (March 9-10, 2024)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #121 of 726
Looking forward to meeting up with everyone! Think I’ll book a room. Although being from NYC it’s a slog to travel back and forth for 2 days 🤣

Also as I learned from my first CanJam last year, having a space close by to rest and wait for 2nd and 3rd winds is always good

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #122 of 726
Canjam is like my Chiristmas, but better. I don't have to talk to any crazy uncles! Time to go DAP hunting!
And it's optional to talk with crazy audiophiles :L3000:

I'm going to CanJam NYC this March, my first outside of doing SoCal the last few years. Very excited to go.

Food or coffee recommendations nearby would be appreciated! Looking forward to seeing you all, too - the best part!
Junior's is just across the street from the entrance. On the other side of the hotel is a pretty decent Italian place, Bond 45.

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #123 of 726
Jan 1, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #125 of 726
Just purchased tickets, but never been to a canjam before. What are things that people normally bring? Do you test out vendors' headphones/IEMs with your own source gear, and do you test out vendors' source gear with your own headphones/IEMs? Anything else to prepare?
The vendors will have everything to listen to their gear . I usually bring my own tips for IEM’s and a couple of Dap’s so to have my music that I know well and sometimes a headphone or 2 with cables and adapters. You can still get by with not bringing a thing though.

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #126 of 726
For Japanese, Tonchin (tonkotsu ramen and tsukemen) and Ootoya (classic bento options like gyudon, etc) are both close to the venue and great options.

Pizza around there isn't the best options in NYC, unfortunately you'd have to travel for the real good stuff. John's is the most decent close option but it's overrated, for sure.
Junior's is just across the street from the entrance. On the other side of the hotel is a pretty decent Italian place, Bond 45.
Thank you both 🙏

Jan 1, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #128 of 726
For Japanese, Tonchin (tonkotsu ramen and tsukemen) and Ootoya (classic bento options like gyudon, etc) are both close to the venue and great options.

Pizza around there isn't the best options in NYC, unfortunately you'd have to travel for the real good stuff. John's is the most decent close option but it's overrated, for sure.
The pizza thing is a bummer. Closest best is Lombardi's but that's a 15 min cab ride. Still, I might duck out for a pie!

Jan 1, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #129 of 726
Asian is probably my fave, but burgers, mediterranean, pizza and then healthy places are all high on my list. Thanks in advance. Will also save Black Fox!

Thanks!

+1 to Tonchin and Ootoya. They’re two of my absolute favorite Japanese spots.

Tonchin may be difficult to get reservations for on the weekends.

Joe’s Pizza is also nearby for a solid slice.

Jan 1, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #130 of 726
The pizza thing is a bummer. Closest best is Lombardi's but that's a 15 min cab ride. Still, I might duck out for a pie!
There is a John's of Bleeker Street on 44th near 8th

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #131 of 726

I would have to disagree with you there. Joe's pizza is great. There are others as well. It may not be your favorite, but it is fantastic. I used to commute by New Jersey Transit into the City for Grad school. So, I know good pizza. I used to get a slice and a coke for $99 in Penn Station.

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #132 of 726
ahh.. NYC pizza discussion commenced. the best leading indicator for a NYC CanJam thread become vibrant with anticipation :)

my two cents.. strike on foot in any distance whatsoever, just make sure you clear AT LEAST two blocks away from Times Square (where many tourists gaze at many other tourists, and they all believe they are seeing New Yorkers:wink:). Then, walk into any arbitrary simple pizza stand the cheaper and simpler the better. Get a slice, plain or pepperoni preferred, season it copiously with all the seaons available (spare none), walk out, and anjoy. You have about 75% probability of striking gold.

the real debate in NYC is whether one is suposed to fold the pizza in two before eating it sandwich style (blasphemy!) or eat it flat (appreciating the optimal mix of crust, crunch, cheese, sauce, and toppings). i think there is a highly-proven correlation between whether you like AIO or componnets to this specific choice, respectively. it has been measured in labs. very solid science

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #133 of 726
Last canjam I tried the Gordon Ramsey fish & chips. It actually wasn’t too shabby.

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #134 of 726
season it copiously with all the seaons available (spare none),
Thank you for mentioning the seasoning! It's the trick to enjoying the 99 cent pizza places. They are like right there on the counter and tables, go nuts!!

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #135 of 726
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back