CanJam SoCal 2022 Impressions Thread (September 17-18, 2022)
Oct 2, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #601 of 638
Audeze CRBN (connected to Mjolnir Audio amp)
I wouldn't even say it was my favorite headphone there, but it was the most revealing to me. Revealing beyond sound. The bass is incredibly tight, controlled. Almost like having small bites of filet mignon instead of big old chunks of Ribeye. I was craving more, but loving every bite. The mid range clarity and resolution blew me away. Vocals cut right through with such refinement and poise, it began surprising me. The highs were excellent, perhaps sounding better than most of the planar Audeze headphones I auditioned afterwards.

My roller-coaster was this... This setup got me a little emotional because a few things happened at once. I realized how early I was in my audio journey, and was reminded how beautiful music can be. I was listening to new music I haven't heard before (after a few of my benchmark go-to's), and some tracks just sounded so incredible. I went on a journey with the music which doesn't always happen, and it happened in the chaos of CanJam. This headphone, paired with that beautiful amp from Iceland, quickly reminded me how much more I had to discover in this space. It was eye opening and exciting at the same time. The same songs can be presented in so many different ways, and more than one can be "right".
Audeze CRBN.jpeg
Is that Mjolnir audio KGSS HV Carbon amp?

I remember having a similar audio "moment" at a head-fi meet years ago with Sennheiser Orpheus 'stat on Singlepower ES-1 'stat amp.
Both were too pricey at the time, and since then, the Orpheus has become even more pricey and the amp...well..unavailable.

It's these magic moments that inspire and drive us audiofools, for better or for worse :)

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #602 of 638
Is that Mjolnir audio KGSS HV Carbon amp?

I remember having a similar audio "moment" at a head-fi meet years ago with Sennheiser Orpheus 'stat on Singlepower ES-1 'stat amp.
Both were too pricey at the time, and since then, the Orpheus has become even more pricey and the amp...well..unavailable.

It's these magic moments that inspire and drive us audiofools, for better or for worse :)
It was the Carbon! Honestly Audeze really picked an amazing pairing with both together. I wasn't ready to experience that and it totally sidetracked me for a while!

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #604 of 638
Man, I can't get that ZMF Caldera sound out of my head. I can't wait to put an order in for it as soon as it becomes available. Totally jealous at @DenverW for picking one up at CanJam. I missed out because I waited until the second day to listen to the tube pair ups and by then all the good ones were sold.

Oct 2, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #605 of 638
It was the Carbon! Honestly Audeze really picked an amazing pairing with both together. I wasn't ready to experience that and it totally sidetracked me for a while!
Mjolnir Carbon is a fantastic amp.

Oct 2, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #606 of 638
I did for a few minutes. Actually got to A/B with the the Voce and Expanse. The crbn has superb mid range and treble. Clear and transparent with air but on the warm side as opposed to harsh or clinical. The bass was boomy (punchy] but muddy and inarticulate when compared to the planars. I prefer articulate well defined bass with leading and trailing edges of tones. My impression is that estats have trouble in this region. Crbn is well built and comfortable.

Only estat that really impressed me was the Warwick Aperio. Just magnificent. However, the Amp has almost no headroom for me. Normal listening volume was at 90% of max.
Did you try the Warwick Bravura?

Oct 2, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #609 of 638
Other than the volume, how did they sound?
The Aperio was magnificent across the frequency spectrum. The Bravura was outstanding as well but has slightly less impactfull bass.

I am clinically deaf and need to adjust balance significantly to center sound. This means that volume to the left channel is +18db (technically-18db adjustment to the right channel). The good news is that my primary auditory nerve is healthy so if I get enough volume I hear 99% of frequency range.

Although the folks at Warwick acknowledge that the Amp section could be more powerful. Normal hearing folks were at 80% of volume.

I ordered a Stax x9000 as it was the best of the bunch. The crbn struggles with bass and is a little rolled off in the highs. I'm sure you can assume I tend to brighter headphones for insight. For musicality and enjoyment though I love my Meze Elites and the Dan Clark Expanse. Expanse I bought on the spot at canjam socal.

I also bought the LTA Z10E Amp on the spot as well. Just a superb Amp with incredible transparency and tight bass, crystal clear mids and airy treble with great harmonics. I will use my Chord TT2 Dac with mScaler as the dac input to the Z10e.

I also own the Focal Utopia.

For my TV I use the Sparkos Aries II amp with the ifi zen blue as my Bluetooth streamer from my TV. My headphones forvTV use are the Meze Lirics.

For portable use I use the Chord Mojo2/Poly, Roon Arc App, and a pair of empire ears iems.

My home network has a Roon Nucleus connected and my internet is running at 1.2gb speed.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #610 of 638
Oct 4, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #611 of 638
It's official! CanJam SoCal 2022 was our biggest CanJam show, to date! Thanks to everyone who came out over the weekend, and especially to those that traveled in from out of town. This was a fantastic show and we can't wait to do it again next year.

Save the Dates: CanJam SoCal 2023 will be held on September 30-October 1, 2023, at the Irvine Marriott.

SoCal22_Team.jpg

Happy to see signs that our headphone community is getting bigger and bigger each year!

Oct 5, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #612 of 638
+1 :grimacing:

Someone on Discord already said that jealousy caused by Caldera ownership will break friendships... :laughing:
MWAHAHAHAHA!

I no longer need friends! I no longer need human contact! I sustain myself on the glorious music of the Caldera!

Oct 6, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #613 of 638
MWAHAHAHAHA!

I no longer need friends! I no longer need human contact! I sustain myself on the glorious music of the Caldera!
Extra helpful during a pandemic, then. 😂

Oct 14, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #615 of 638

Users who are viewing this thread

Back