CanJam SoCal 2023 Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #484 of 488
Just wanted to add I had the best experience at CanJam in SoCal this year and last. This year had the same energy as last year, so many people there having an awesome time listening to great gear. I think the highlight for me was trying my first tube amp -- Feliks Euforia Evo over at Upscale Audio. I brought my own HD800S to audition it with and boy it sounded incredible. It cemented my decision to get a tube amp before end of year.

I also had a wonderful time over at ZMF's station. Zach & Bevin are so nice and welcoming. Zach offered to grab several pairs of cans for me to try so I could keep my station, this ultimately let me finish sooner than if I had to get them myself and ask which was which. Not only great customer support but maximized the number of people who could try them out. The new Bokeh are super amazing for the price and I think a no brainer for someone wanting to get into the hobby with that kind of budget. Bevin also answered a bunch of tedious questions I had about the headphones which I so appreciated it.

Can't wait for next year!

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #486 of 488
Subtonic are one of the firms out there that (rightfully so) are acutely aware of how measurements are all too often misused by enthusiasts to draw conclusions and/or form narratives instead of letting their ears decide. This problem is compounded by the fact that almost anyone can get their hands on a clone IEC 711 coupler, many of which don't even meet IEC specification (and that's not even touching on the potential issues with the acoustic impedance of the 711 coupler).

While of course, they didn't know that csglinux isn't just some kid with a clone coupler, I'm not sure being an experienced measurer makes one immune from drawing erroneous conclusions from measurement data. We're only human.
To that end, I support Subtonic's decision to abstain from allowing someone they didn't know to measure one of their engineering samples. Fully within their rights to do so, and since they supply their own B&K 4195-Q measurements on their site, I would agree with McCheese that it doesn't seem they're hiding anything.

In case it's of interest to anyone reading, I had the pleasure of being able to measure a retail unit belonging to a friend (not an engineering sample) on the B&K Type 5128-B at the show, with the assistance of the lovely Vince Rey. Attached below.
Target is the 5128 Diffuse Field HRTF, tilted downward with a -1dB/octave slope across the entire audio band.

Great to see everyone at the show! Highlight for me was probably the time spent at the B&K booth, measuring my friends IEMs. Never thought I'd even get a chance to be in the same room as one, but getting to handle it with Vince's assistance and get useful output was really one of my dreams come true.
The cherry on top was doing the quick binaural audio demo using open-canal mics and B&K's Audeze EL-8 with Jude riiiiiight as the show was closing out. Super fun stuff!

Hopefully I can make it out to SoCal next year, but if not i'll see you all in NYC in March! :darthsmile:
It's great curve except for that huge trough at 8K where you'd expect and insertion peak and I've seen that in other response measurements as well. Perhaps it's intentional to compensate for the insertion standing wave and overdone but my guess is the super tweeters are phase inverted relative to the crossover used to achieve this. It's likely intentional and at a high enough frequency that it would sound more open and inoffensive but should show itself as less than optimum over time.

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #487 of 488
It's great curve except for that huge trough at 8K where you'd expect and insertion peak and I've seen that in other response measurements as well. Perhaps it's intentional to compensate for the insertion standing wave and overdone but my guess is the super tweeters are phase inverted relative to the crossover used to achieve this. It's likely intentional and at a high enough frequency that it would sound more open and inoffensive but should show itself as less than optimum over time.
Unless one's ear canal is acoustically identical to 711, the dip will not compensate the frequency of the standing wave exactly. And now you get a dip next to a peak, which sounds more peaky than the peak by itself. In my audition of the Storm, when I complained about the treble glare, I was asked more than once to go smaller on the eartip to achieve a deeper fit to make the driver-to-eardrum distance as close to a 711 as possible. In the end the dip did the job, but it was at an insertion depth beyond discomfort given how large the Storm was.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #488 of 488
Unless one's ear canal is acoustically identical to 711, the dip will not compensate the frequency of the standing wave exactly. And now you get a dip next to a peak, which sounds more peaky than the peak by itself. In my audition of the Storm, when I complained about the treble glare, I was asked more than once to go smaller on the eartip to achieve a deeper fit to make the driver-to-eardrum distance as close to a 711 as possible. In the end the dip did the job, but it was at an insertion depth beyond discomfort given how large the Storm was.
Don't see how they could even do that without a phase issue There's not enough components to fit, even in that large shell, to get a noble/notch filter that steep. I was being kind but it looks like phase cancelation or simply something I'm in the dark about. The coupler used can't be far from from the correct insertion depth and I also don't see a significant peak on either side of the trough from insertion so how off could that distance be? You'll see the same in other graphs of it along with great reviews.🤷‍♀️ If it sounds more open that real...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back