Cannot decide....really need some help here....Please
Jan 31, 2013 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Th3rd3y3

100+ Head-Fier
Been searching and searching for a new headphone....mostly listen to rock and metal....dont find grados comfortable...really want an around ear headphone

these are what Ive narrowed it down to....

M-Audio Q40
T50rp
Sa1000

any input would be greatly appreciated

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 9
Please provide a decent budget that will help us give you the best suggestions for the price.  In general rock and metal sound great with slightly upfront sounding mids with decent bass extension and not too much treble to cause fatigue.  A Grado is an excellent start, but since you and many of us do not find them comfortable there are a few other options.

On the cheap the Superlux HD668B would be a great option.
Here is a link and be sure to read the customer reviews.
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/superlux-hd668b.php

The frequency response curve looks great for metal or rock, but I honestly have not given them a listen.  Perhaps someone can chime in and let us know if they like the 668B for rock and metal.

The Shure SRH-440 is another entry level headphone.  It is definitely built more for rock and metal than electronica and jazz.  It again accentuates the mids.  The big gripe I have is that the earpads are made of material that easily decays.  Most people who end up with a pair of SHR-440 headphones add the SRH-850 pads for longevity.  The total cost plus the new pads would be $99 for the headphones and $15 for the pads.

Those are my suggestions.

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 9
might be able to jump budget up to 200 bucks....  is the sa3000 worth the extra money or should I point myself in another direction...looking for something fast and detailed I guess...  mostly for rock and metal

heres a list of bands I like

Tool, FIve Finger Death Punch, Dream Theater, The Human Abstract, David Bowie, White Zombie, Between The Buried and Me

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Been searching and searching for a new headphone....mostly listen to rock and metal....dont find grados comfortable...really want an around ear headphone

these are what Ive narrowed it down to....

M-Audio Q40
T50rp
Sa1000

any input would be greatly appreciated

Quote:
any more input with a stretched budget of 200 bucks??

Heya,

Look into:

Ultrasone HFI 780
AudioTechnica A900X
Brainwavz HM5
Beyer DT770 LE 32ohm
Nuforce HP 800
AKG K271 MKII

Sony MA900
AKG K240 MKII
AKG Q701
Hifiman HE-300 r2
Ultrasone HFI 2400

Very best,

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 9
wife let me really up my budget....  so Im really really leaning towards the HE-400 and the EF-2A

do they mesh well together??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back