Can't decide between Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro, AKG K702, and Audio Technica ATH AD900, mostly for gaming
Feb 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Deda

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

Ok, so I have been researching for it seems like days now for a good headset.  I am currently running a Razer Carcharias headset for PC  gaming and listening to music.  I find my current headset very comfortable but the audio especially when listening to music sounds very muted.  When gaming, I can for the most part tell where the sound is coming from but the depth/distance of the sound is very hard to tell. 

I have finally narrowed down my choices between the Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro, AKG K702, and Audio Technica ATH AD900.  Below is some information about me and my type of listening.  I am open to other suggestions, but these three headsets seem like the best for between the $200 and $350 dollar range. Noise canceling headphones are out of the question as they cause me severe naseau. 

- I have a big squarish head, but smallish ears so the headset would have to be comfortable for big heads. 
- In terms of listening, I would say that this headset would spend 75% time playing MP fps like BF3, 20% of its time listening to music from sources like pandora, and 5% of its time playing RPGs and watching movies and shows. 
- For me, bass is not super important but weak bass would not be good.
- positional audio is crucial since I am playing a lot of fps games.
- I have dedicated sound card with built in amp so that should not be too much of an issue. 

Thanks in advance!

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 15
yeah, I second on the q701, the k702 will be impossible to listen from your soundcard with built in preamp.

In addition, q701 will be a lot more forgiving with bad recording than k702. In terms of the beyer dt880 pro, I dunno which impedence you want to go for but imho, not opting for 600ohm is a waste to the 880 but if you do a 600 ohms, then your soundcard is not able to push them to the maximum.

so overall i'd say get the q701 and don't mind what people say about q701, it's really a good headphone

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for the input on the Q702, I did not even consider it at first. I will definitely take a look at it a little closer.  Decisions...decisions...
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 15
Hey, everything listed thus far is phenomenal for gaming.

Unamped: Sennheiser HD598, AD700/900
Amped: AKG Q701, Beyer DT880 (preferably 600 ohm)

All have exceptional directional positioning and an appropriate sound stage. For music, I would give the edge to the bottom two, but only if you have some way of amping them.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 15
Hi juantendo8,

Thanks for the input and delineating what would and would not need to be amped.  This will help me decide whether I want to spend the money on an amp (I am also looking at a soundcard (ASUS ROG) that states that it will handle headphones with an impedence of up to 600ohms...we will see) 

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 15
If you have a big head do not get the 880 Pros, they clamp pretty tight even on my normal sized head. The 880 premium (which you can also get in 600 ohms if you will be using an amp) are super comfortable however. Between those and the AKG Q701s I think you have some great options, haven't tried the audio technica, so someone else can chime in there.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 15
What about some Superlux HD668B or Samson SR850? Both these headphones have excellent clarity/soundstage and are cheaper then your Razer. Start out on the low end and then decide if you really need something more expensive. A lot of people find they don't.

If you really just want to bite the bullet and step way up I would also agree and go with Premium over the pro versions of the Beyers, the Pros do clamp very tight.

The HD598 is also an amazing option to if you are running without an amp, and you find the other options listed way to bright on the high end. The soundstage is wonderful.

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

- I have dedicated sound card with built in amp so that should not be too much of an issue.

What sound card is it exactly ?

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 15
It is a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD, but I can't stand the user interface and it does not play well with TeamSpeak3.  I am looking to get rid of it though and get the new Asus Phoebus when it comes out in the next couple of months. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 15
Tried my friends Q701 (unamped) a few weeks ago and I loved them. I've been saving to get a pair myself, they've got my vote.

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #13 of 15
I had the AD900 for a few days, ended up returning those and got the AKGs, couldnt be happier.... The AD900 was too bass light for me, while the AKGs are not known for the bass, they are perfectly acceptable to me... The AD900 also sounded too metallic and grainy to me in the highs

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #14 of 15
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your input. After your reading y'alls input I am now down to the AKG (Either Q701 or K702 ) and the Beyers.  Now I am just waiting for that new sound card (Asus Phoebus) to come out and get reviewed and I should be good to go. I'll be sure to report back with what I got. 

Cheers.

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 15
Tough decision bro. I returned the Q's for the 880 premium 600s and so far am much happier for music and movies. Have yet to game with them however.

Did u pick one yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back