Can't Decide (Portable Headphones)
Feb 22, 2017 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

monkey4054

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm currently looking for a new pair of portable headphones for listening to music while I'm out and about. Budget is $300 AUD max.
I like well-balanced headphones but I also like bass heavy headphones as well. Lacking bass is probably the biggest put-off for me in a headphone. 
After spending a large amount of time researching, these are my options so far:

1. thinksound On2
  2. Bang & Olufson BeoPlay H2
  3. KEF M400
  4. Audio Technica ATH SR5BT
  5. Marshall Mid Bluetooth Headphones​
  6. Sony MDR XB650BT?

Unfortunately where I live I'm unable to audition most of these, so any opinions and advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 11
I haven't heard any of these phones, but based on what's out there as far as reviews go, here's my opinion

1. thinksound On2 (great reviews, probably the most balanced of the headphones with slightly enhanced bass and the best soundstage of the 4 to boot, plus they are very resolving of detail)
  2. Bang & Olufson BeoPlay H2 (great reviews, indicated balanced sound but good moderately-enhanced bass too)
  3. KEF M400 (look cheap and overpriced, bad reviews on amazon)
  4. Audio Technica ATH SR5BT (PC Mag 2015/16 award and great reviews, but the bass may be less than the other cans and the treble may be fatiguing with long listening times for some)

So I think the first two headphones are the top two. It depends on whether you prefer more bass over sound stage and resolving ability.

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 11
  I haven't heard any of these phones, but based on what's out there as far as reviews go, here's my opinion

1. thinksound On2 (great reviews, probably the most balanced of the headphones with slightly enhanced bass and the best soundstage of the 4 to boot, plus they are very resolving of detail)
  2. Bang & Olufson BeoPlay H2 (great reviews, indicated balanced sound but good moderately-enhanced bass too)
  3. KEF M400 (look cheap and overpriced, bad reviews on amazon)
  4. Audio Technica ATH SR5BT (PC Mag 2015/16 award and great reviews, but the bass may be less than the other cans and the treble may be fatiguing with long listening times for some)

So I think the first two headphones are the top two. It depends on whether you prefer more bass over sound stage and resolving ability.

Hey, thanks for your reply. I agree with your assessment overall. I'm definitely leaning towards the top two now as well. Thanks for taking the time.

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 11
  I'm confused. Are you looking for wireless or wired?

Hi, sorry, I should have been more specific. I don't really mind either way, wired or wireless. I'm simply looking for the best sounding closed headphones for the genres that I listen to (mainly rock and metal), that are portable enough and isolate well enough to commute with.

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 11
  Hi, sorry, I should have been more specific. I don't really mind either way, wired or wireless. I'm simply looking for the best sounding closed headphones for the genres that I listen to (mainly rock and metal), that are portable enough and isolate well enough to commute with.

I actually like the M50X for these purposes, they isolate really well, are fairly portable, and are a 'fun' headphone for rock and metal. Another different sort of option is the NAD HP50, a very neutral, fairly mobile headphone that has lots of detail and a nice soundstage for a closed can. It's a bit more expensive. Another portable option is the AKG K545, which sounds terrific, is fairly neutral, and isolates relatively well. A few thoughts.

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 11
I think Meze 99 Classics a bit better than the M50's not as muddy bass.

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 11
  I actually like the M50X for these purposes, they isolate really well, are fairly portable, and are a 'fun' headphone for rock and metal. Another different sort of option is the NAD HP50, a very neutral, fairly mobile headphone that has lots of detail and a nice soundstage for a closed can. It's a bit more expensive. Another portable option is the AKG K545, which sounds terrific, is fairly neutral, and isolates relatively well. A few thoughts.

Hi again, thanks for the reply. Ahh yes, the ubiquitous M50X's are definitely decent but they're a bit 'been there, done that' and I'm looking to move past those in terms of sound quality.

I already own the PSB M4U1's which are 99% the same as the NAD H50 and whilst they sound great, I don't think I like their portability or durability enough to commute with them.

I have looked into those AKG's in the past, but I'm not sure they're exactly what I'm looking for, but I'll definitely keep them in consideration. I suppose what I'm really looking for are on-ear headphones that are light and have a small footprint. Something I can just throw in my bag and not worry about them breaking, or taking up too much space.

I think Meze 99 Classics a bit better than the M50's not as muddy bass.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, although, the Meze's are significantly out of my budget and definitely not something I would take out of the house either, they're too beautiful to risk it haha. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back