Carbon Film vs Metal Film Resistors
Jan 26, 2009 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bosk

1000+ Head-Fier
I've read that Carbon Film resistors sound better than Metal Films, is there any truth in this?

Second question, is the tolerance % of a resistor more important than who makes it, or is it the other way round?

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read that Carbon Film resistors sound better than Metal Films, is there any truth in this?

Carbon film resistors have higher current noise, which I guess some people like. They also are susceptible to moisture absorption over time which changes their value, sometimes significantly. Some people prefer their "sound" but personally, I like my resistors to have no sound of their own.

Quote:

Second question, is the tolerance % of a resistor more important than who makes it, or is it the other way round?

That depends completely on the application, as does the construction and materials used in the resistor.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

I tend to stay away from Carbon Film resistors as well now, but I haven't done any comparisons with different resistors. I know some people really like Kiwame which I have a few, but did not decide to use in the build I bought them for. I think Pete Millett pointed out that they are the same construction as the Speer carbon film resistors and manufactured by KOA which you can buy on mouser for a better price possibly. The carbon film may be less resistant to RFI, but most accounts I read lead me to believe the metal film resistors are more important in preamp, phono stages, and headphone amps where there needs to be low noise involved. Wish I could elaborate on why that is.

Personally, I do not go with anything but a precision metal film resistor in a critical application 1% or less and 5% if in other positions depending on the difference in price. KOA speer is my brand of choice in non-critical positions now. Its usually not too much more expensive to get them in 1% which I worry about mostly because of channel matching.

If I have to go with a high value 1M resistor or higher in a critical position where noise might be more of an issue, I may choose a caddock resistor depending on the value of what I construct for me. Holco or PRP seems like something I would like to try in critical positions. I would like to try using some wire wound eventually. I'm really still learning and trying things.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

The carbon film may be less resistant to RFI

I have not heard this claim before. I don;t see why they would be any more susceptible than the leads and PCB traces leading to them. I really don't think this is a serious issue.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianDonegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard this claim before. I don;t see why they would be any more susceptible than the leads and PCB traces leading to them. I really don't think this is a serious issue.

Wonder if maybe he is confusing metal film with wire wound resistor.

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Oops, sorry, I meant more resistant. I was thinking of the potential for metal film resistors to fail or slightly change value from a pulsing peak power in a high voltage application. I read somewhere before that RFI can cause a high peak pulse value for a short moment which would affect metal film resistors more then carbon. Of course, I never tested the theory, so I'm not sure and that is why I said "may".

See the tech note on the page here: General purpose metal film leaded resistor - Leaded Resistors - Resistors - KOA Speer Electronics, Inc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back