Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Mar 13, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #601 of 2,728
The pair I have came to me with 133hrs. I have put approximately 20 hours on, and I will be honest...the bass does seem to be of less boomy, but it also might be brain burn in as some profess. I have become used to the critter, and do rather enjoy them. They are quite good. I will be over 200hrs by the weekend, though (time will afford me long listens...).

Running through my Opus#2, is a very good matchup, complimenting each other nicely. I’m not sure I would call this end-game anything as some have here (unless you are extremely happy with them, then congrats!), but rather an excellent first endeavor into the world of headphones. One in which I very much look forward to seeing fruit further. This is an excellent attempt, indeed. And I mean that in the most respectful way.

This certainly makes me revel in and respect my Jupiter’s more, as the “forerunner” to what @KB and CO are pursuing. Well done.

And, @ExpatinJapan, you look surprising like Tom Hanks!!!

The resemblance is truly frightening!

15186C71-9FCE-4ED7-8912-6B17BC8CD51C.jpeg

‘Willllllsoooonn!’

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #602 of 2,728
Do you know how many hours were on the cascade ? I'm looking at picking one of these up for office use.
He's a big one for burn-in time, I don't generally do burn-in but he said they were left on his burn-in playlist for 5 days straight so around 120 hours.

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #603 of 2,728
Well, after a shitload of deliberation, I made a decision on a purchase.

I have a pair of Cascades coming to me via 2 day shipping. I should have them by Friday :) However, as I'm a fan of multiple genres, I've also grabbed a pair of Aeon Flow Closed to fill the other side of the fence.

I'll be amping both with a WA8 Eclipse (that won't be here until Friday or Monday next week). Until the Eclipse gets here, I'll probably do some burn-in on the amps I currently have -- a Magni here at work and a Gustard H10 and Oppo HA2 at home.

Pretty excited!

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #604 of 2,728
Well, after a ****load of deliberation, I made a decision on a purchase.

I have a pair of Cascades coming to me via 2 day shipping. I should have them by Friday :) However, as I'm a fan of multiple genres, I've also grabbed a pair of Aeon Flow Closed to fill the other side of the fence.

I'll be amping both with a WA8 Eclipse (that won't be here until Friday or Monday next week). Until the Eclipse gets here, I'll probably do some burn-in on the amps I currently have -- a Magni here at work and a Gustard H10 and Oppo HA2 at home.

Pretty excited!
I tried both of those and was pretty keen on the AFC, but I decided to go for the Fostex th610 instead. On listening to the Cascade again I felt the bass to be too big and s bit loose for me. There was also a bit of a"cupping" character to the middle. Soundstage and highs are very good however.
The AFC was, on reflection, too dark and kinda thick sounding to me. I hope they both fit right in your sweet spot though

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #605 of 2,728

I have that exact pairing in the house at the moment, and they make for a great complimentary set of cans.

The one down side is that once you get accustomed to the Cascade, it takes a while to adjust to the Aeon Closed bass presentation again, and when you get accustomed to the clarity of the ACs, it takes a few tracks to get back into the sound of the Cascade.

The Cascade don't need an amp, but the AC definitely do - running both off an ALO v5 and they sound stellar. Proof positive there are no "correct" tunings in this hobby, just enjoyable ones and everything else.

Enjoy!

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #606 of 2,728
I tried both of those and was pretty keen on the AFC, but I decided to go for the Fostex th610 instead. On listening to the Cascade again I felt the bass to be too big and s bit loose for me. There was also a bit of a"cupping" character to the middle. Soundstage and highs are very good however.
The AFC was, on reflection, too dark and kinda thick sounding to me. I hope they both fit right in your sweet spot though

I own a pair of the AFC, and they're the opposite of dark: very neutral and not thick sounding at all. Perhaps the pair that you've listened to was broken?

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #607 of 2,728
Personally, I prefer just about every aspect of the Cascade vs the Aeon Flow, which I briefly owned then sold. In particular, the soundstage of the Cascade is stellar for a closed headphone; by contrast the AF's is constrained.

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #608 of 2,728
I own a pair of the AFC, and they're the opposite of dark: very neutral and not thick sounding at all. Perhaps the pair that you've listened to was broken?
Hmmmm. We'll i auditioned vs Fostex th610 and th900 and relative to those the AFC seemed a bit dark and thick sounding. Soundstage is undoubtedly closed in though. As always your mileage may vary.
But OT, the stage and highs presentation of the Cascade is very nice for the price.

Mar 14, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #609 of 2,728
Just a quick update - 8 hours of burn in with pink noise, otherwise brand new.

Just listened to male / female vocals (Seal - Seal US version) and (Basia - Time and Tide) thru tidal on my mac, no dac/amp.

Wow. I love how the vocals are so present, smooth and big. I've always liked Basia, but she can be somewhat harsh on other HPs. On the Cascades her voice is just beautiful, front and center, without a hint of harshness. Seal's "A Kiss From a Rose" is right in the sweet spot of upper bass and mids. The most fun listen I've had in a long time.

I can't wait to see what 3-4 days of burn in do, and adding the mojo into the mix...
im really interested to hear your opinion using them with your mojo, are you also using a poly? what source are you using opt, usb etc.

Mar 14, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #610 of 2,728
looking for a closed back hp for travel. and am wondering if anyone out there are using a mojo/poly combo or an audioquest dragonfly with there cascade's. I was recently at can jam but could not bring my equipment with me (work reasons) and had to use campfire's source and their music. im not really a fan of closed back hp's cause I feel the music is less open (obviously) but really liked the cascade's response and its overall sound signature. im def getting a pair but would like to hear your opinions

Mar 14, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #611 of 2,728
looking for a closed back hp for travel. and am wondering if anyone out there are using a mojo/poly combo or an audioquest dragonfly with there cascade's. I was recently at can jam but could not bring my equipment with me (work reasons) and had to use campfire's source and their music. im not really a fan of closed back hp's cause I feel the music is less open (obviously) but really liked the cascade's response and its overall sound signature. im def getting a pair but would like to hear your opinions
I got mine for this purpose and I love them for it (I’m lucky enough to have a Hugo 2) it’s the best closed back for travel/coffee shop use I’ve tried

Mar 14, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #612 of 2,728
im really interested to hear your opinion using them with your mojo, are you also using a poly? what source are you using opt, usb etc.
I have played them with and without the Mojo. All my playing is thru Tidal HiFi via a macbookpro, unless I can get MASTER quality for a particular album. I use a USB connection from my mbp to the Mojo, and plug my Cascades into the Mojo.

While they sound good w/o the Mojo (directly into a PC via the 3.5mm port) they sound amazing thru an amp. I haven't tried a different amp besides the Mojo. The 'physicality' of the music with the Mojo makes me stop whatever I'm doing and listen to the music. It's so damn there. Just last night I was in bed reading head-fi.org, with my Cascades being fed from the Mojo. I had the music pretty loud (Primus), and my wife sleeping next to me. She says there is a tiny bit of bleed thru, but she can't make out what I'm listening to and it doesn't keep her awake.

As for the Poly, I've read too about too many issues and frustrated users having connectivity problems to consider getting one now. Maybe Poly2 or something similar. I love the idea of the Poly but am still searching for the 'right' source for my portable setup.

I have burned in about 3-4 days, and I don't know if it's my ears changing, but the bass has tightened up and isn't as overpowering as I remember it a few weeks ago. Might be placebo effect or listening bias, but I am loving the signature these have. I've always thought burn in was BS, but I'm going to burn them for another week - what can it hurt?

These have renewed my interest in hi-fi. :)

Mar 14, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #613 of 2,728
I have played them with and without the Mojo. All my playing is thru Tidal HiFi via a macbookpro, unless I can get MASTER quality for a particular album. I use a USB connection from my mbp to the Mojo, and plug my Cascades into the Mojo.

While they sound good w/o the Mojo (directly into a PC via the 3.5mm port) they sound amazing thru an amp. I haven't tried a different amp besides the Mojo. The 'physicality' of the music with the Mojo makes me stop whatever I'm doing and listen to the music. It's so damn there. Just last night I was in bed reading head-fi.org, with my Cascades being fed from the Mojo. I had the music pretty loud (Primus), and my wife sleeping next to me. She says there is a tiny bit of bleed thru, but she can't make out what I'm listening to and it doesn't keep her awake.

As for the Poly, I've read too about too many issues and frustrated users having connectivity problems to consider getting one now. Maybe Poly2 or something similar. I love the idea of the Poly but am still searching for the 'right' source for my portable setup.

I have burned in about 3-4 days, and I don't know if it's my ears changing, but the bass has tightened up and isn't as overpowering as I remember it a few weeks ago. Might be placebo effect or listening bias, but I am loving the signature these have. I've always thought burn in was BS, but I'm going to burn them for another week - what can it hurt?

These have renewed my interest in hi-fi. :)
Thanks for the info! The setup is pretty much what I’m looking for btw your right to stay away from the poly looking back I would have rather saved the money but it does do a great job when it works but I’ll save that for the poly thread thanks again!!

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #615 of 2,728
I must say, the more I listen, the more I appreciate the tuning. Adding in the iFi Black Label to the already mentioned Opus/Cascade pairing, I can play with the 3D and Bass Boost to my delight. Running both on, the already punchy bass can simply rattle my gray cranial matter after a good listen. Running both off, the sound is good, quite good. With the BL on "high sensitivity" and "normal" power along with line-out on the Opus, I have more than enough volume to my delight.

I'm still not sold on the fit, as the earcups tend to tilt in on the bottom, unless I make a conscious effort to keep them parallel to my head. And, it does alter the sound, especially bass. I can live with it both ways, so take that as you may.

Impressed, I am and of course "more testing" is needed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back