23 year old Squeak
IMG_2444.jpg

2 year old rescue Mike
IMG_2566.jpg

3 year old rescue Joannie
IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2567.jpg

Dec 31, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #18 of 1,408
i run a sanctuary for abused/neglected animals. it's a wonderful forever home. it is beyond belief what some people do to poor animals.

don't read this if you don't like sad stories!

one in particular that really gets me. a cat i got at 5 years old after having been tormented in unimaginable ways. she never was happy. she was just plain misreable, her spirit was broken. not once did she use a litter box but we did not mind at all. then at 11 years old she got probably the rariest cancer a cat can get. what luck,huh? she lived 3 weeks after being diagnosed. she had a short misreable life due to real bad people. maybe she could had at least been happy for her 11 years. i tried to save her at all effort and cost but it was in gods hands.

there are a lot of other terrible stories here. like a donkey from a rodeo. poor guy. we just try to make them as comfortable and happy as possible. of course we provide the most state of the art vetrinary care 24/7/365 as well.

i am a vegan and animals mean the world to me. i just want to help them. of course i can't help nearly enough. please volunteer or donate to a reputable shelter when you can.

i am surprised this post is only 2 pages. cat's are wonderful animals.

music_man

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #20 of 1,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
23 years old?!

We had a cat live to be 28 or so. It ended up being a real mess with epilepsy (seems common in old cats), ended up having a seizure near the pool and drowning during the night
frown.gif

We've got four cats, two of them are mine. [size=large] warning: I am a terrible photographer [/size]

First here is the youngest, a very pretty girl cat
smily_headphones1.gif

656d00.jpg

Secondly, a male cat who is a great cat! I've been in the company of 8 or so cats over the years (mostly temporary look-afters) and he is by far my favourite cat. A real special one. Plus, he is [size=large]HUGE[/size]. As you can see he is really skinny, but he actually weighs 10 kg

Here's a picture of him inside my old set of drawers. He used to sleep in a tiny shoe box in them in the corner... now if he wants to sleep in there i have to empty the whole drawer.
biggrin.gif

2mcsfvl.jpg

Both are rescues, first was going to be dumped (her name is MIA, stands for missing in action because she got lost the first day we got her [she was asleep in my cupboad
biggrin.gif
]) second we got basically the day he was going to be put down (his name is maximus the destroyer).

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #21 of 1,408
I am afraid that to a non cat person they all look the same,just different colours.

If they could be trained to stay in there owners yards there would be no problems.

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #22 of 1,408
the oldest living cat in the world recently won an award for longevity from animal planet. it was 32 at the time. this was a few years ago. i do not know if it is still alive. i hope it is. late teens is the norm for a tabby mix. 24 is not unheard of at all. 27 is maybe 10%.

cats are more trainable than dogs. you just have to work a lot harder. we have one that will sit in an open window for days and never dare leave.

music_man

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #23 of 1,408

His name is Pjusken and is 6 months old

Dec 31, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #24 of 1,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they could be trained to stay in there owners yards there would be no problems.

Our cats never leave the back yard. Its not like cats do anything bad anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the oldest living cat in the world recently won an award for longevity from animal planet. it was 32 at the time.

If you're talking about a cat called grandpa it died at 34.

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #25 of 1,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am afraid that to a non cat person they all look the same,just different colours.

Cats are far more trainable and reliable than dogs. Even if you choose to NOT train it to leave your yard, they will always come home, unlike dogs who can easily become lost.

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #27 of 1,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cats are far more trainable and reliable than dogs. Even if you choose to NOT train it to leave your yard, they will always come home, unlike dogs who can easily become lost.

Yes I agree they will go home to you,after using others backyards as a toilet,climbing all over any vehicles left outside,and trying there best to exterminate all other life forms.

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #28 of 1,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Our cats never leave the back yard. Its not like cats do anything bad anyway..

Tell that to the millions of birds,marsupials and other life forms that they kill just for the fun of the hunt.

Jan 1, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #30 of 1,408
Ugh... My mom is the "cat lady" of the neighborhood. Between our neighbor refusing to neuter their tom cat and people dropping them off up the road, we have eight or so cats outside that my mom feeds. Every cat that we have ever had has shown up at our house in poor health or been picked up along the interstate. My mom doesn't have the heart to take them to a shelter so they end up getting spayed/neutered and living outside. The most recent litter that showed up ended up living inside, much to the chagrin of my dad, but they are pretty much here to stay. There are three kittens and the mother cat. My mom says she can't bare to put them outside now. When I come home for the holidays, none of them will have anything to do with me unless I have some cheese or turkey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back