Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions
Mar 9, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #2,491 of 2,966
  Do your planars happen to include a ZMF Omni/Ori? How do they sound w/the LC?

I'm very interested in the LC based on things a few reviewers said about the LC being good for planars. But IMO it's a little different when a regular headphone user who isn't a reviewer chimes in w/his impressions.

I'm torn between a new LC and a used Yulong A18 (both for their balanced output--getting a balanced cable for Ori soon).

I have the pleasure of owning both a Liquid Carbon and a ZMF Omni and IMHO it's a really good combo. In fact, I have yet to hear a headphone that doesn't sounds good with the LC - it's a really good amp!

Mar 9, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #2,492 of 2,966

I have the pleasure of owning both a Liquid Carbon and a ZMF Omni and IMHO it's a really good combo. In fact, I have yet to hear a headphone that doesn't sounds good with the LC - it's a really good amp!

Thank you for these comments--very helpful!

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #2,493 of 2,966
I have the LC and ori. It does sound very nice but the ori really benefits from more power. I got the cayin iha6 and it really opens up the sound of the ori. The LC has a great tone, better than the cayin to my ears. The cayin has much better detail , better soundstage and the bass control is just sick.

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #2,494 of 2,966
I have the LC and ori. It does sound very nice but the ori really benefits from more power. I got the cayin iha6 and it really opens up the sound of the ori. The LC has a great tone, better than the cayin to my ears. The cayin has much better detail , better soundstage and the bass control is just sick.

Damn...choices!

My fantasy amp for the Ori is the Violectric v281. Even used, it's crazy $$$. I know that it would probably be moon-shot good, based on the great results I get from the (circuit-related) Lake People G109-A.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #2,495 of 2,966
The LC sounds great. For the ori more power is better. For my q701 and vibro nothing sounds better than the LC . Nothing I have that is

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #2,496 of 2,966
So, here's a question. I just noted a channel imbalance using the LC v1 balanced. It is more pronounced at low volumes, but I still hear it when I turn the volume up, and have repeated it with 2 headphones (HE-560 and HE-1000 v1). I have recently been using the unbalanced output quite a bit for some headphones I had that I didn't have balanced cables for. When I plug in unbalanced now, the channel imbalance goes away. Someone told me they heard that using the unbalanced for a while can cause this, due to not using half the amp while going unbalanced, and the cure was to do a long "break in" playing music in balanced, which uses both halves of the amp again. I just started running the amp in this way, but was wondering if anyone knew if this was the case.
Thanks.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #2,497 of 2,966
So, here's a question. I just noted a channel imbalance using the LC v1 balanced. It is more pronounced at low volumes, but I still hear it when I turn the volume up, and have repeated it with 2 headphones (HE-560 and HE-1000 v1). I have recently been using the unbalanced output quite a bit for some headphones I had that I didn't have balanced cables for. When I plug in unbalanced now, the channel imbalance goes away. Someone told me they heard that using the unbalanced for a while can cause this, due to not using half the amp while going unbalanced, and the cure was to do a long "break in" playing music in balanced, which uses both halves of the amp again. I just started running the amp in this way, but was wondering if anyone knew if this was the case.
Thanks.

There is a number of people with V 2.0 reporting balance issues, including myself.   Return your amp to Cavalli and they will fix it.  Cavalli fixed it and sent it back to me and sounds great. 

You're lucky you have a lifetime immunity.

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #2,498 of 2,966
I had heard of problems with the unbalanced output (which hasn't given me a problem), but the balanced I thought was generally OK. Have to contact them, thanks.

Thanks.

There is a number of people with V 2.0 reporting balance issues, including myself.   Return your amp to Cavalli and they will fix it.  Cavalli fixed it and sent it back to me and sounds great. 

You're lucky you have a lifetime immunity.

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #2,501 of 2,966
  My LC1 amp experienced channel imbalance and was repaired by Cavalli. Not totally unusual it appears. All is working now. It's sweet sound was missed while away.

My new LC arrived yesterday, after an incredible pain-in-the-ass sequence w/FedX (not Cavalli's fault).

I haven't even plugged it in yet. Will do that later today, just to verify (using one of my SE headphones) that it works. But the real test will be when my balanced cable comes in for the ZMF Ori. Then I'll burn in the cable & the LC together--then see what this amp really can do.

I plan to use it primarily for balanced listening, based on everything I've read about this unit. Might as well use 100% of this amp, not 75% or whatever comes out SE.

Looking forward to hearing this amp. Have heard so many good things about it...

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #2,502 of 2,966
I can say that I listen to my LC v2 exclusively balanced out. This has been for fear of causing any kind of perceivable channel imbalance due to burning in half of the amps topology over the other when using single ended out. I will typically use my one of my 4 other portable amps for single ended duty.

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #2,503 of 2,966
I can say that I listen to my LC v2 exclusively balanced out. This has been for fear of causing any kind of perceivable channel imbalance due to burning in half of the amps topology over the other when using single ended out. I will typically use my one of my 4 other portable amps for single ended duty.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

I have unusual flexibility in my system. My DAC (Audio GD NOS 19) has 2 RCA output pairs. One goes to a terrific SE headphone amp that also serves as my preamp (Audio GD SA-31SE). It has a balanced connection, but it's only for convenience...the amp is 100% SE.

The other output pair from the DAC goes to whatever other amp I'm playing with at the moment (usually the SE Lake People G109-A). The 2 amps operate totally independently.

Now I'll just replace the G109-A with the LC (usually). My primary headphone now is the Ori, and with a balanced cable, I can plug into either amp. But if I feel like listening to one of the SE headphones (such as Fidelio X2's), it can plug in either of these headphone amps. Or I'll might swap out the LC with the G109-A for SE use.

(life is good!)

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #2,504 of 2,966

Exactly what I'm thinking.

I have unusual flexibility in my system. My DAC (Audio GD NOS 19) has 2 RCA output pairs. One goes to a terrific SE headphone amp that also serves as my preamp (Audio GD SA-31SE). It has a balanced connection, but it's only for convenience...the amp is 100% SE.

The other output pair from the DAC goes to whatever other amp I'm playing with at the moment (usually the SE Lake People G109-A). The 2 amps operate totally independently.

Now I'll just replace the G109-A with the LC (usually). My primary headphone now is the Ori, and with a balanced cable, I can plug into either amp. But if I feel like listening to one of the SE headphones (such as Fidelio X2's), it can plug in either of these headphone amps. Or I'll might swap out the LC with the G109-A for SE use.

(life is good!)

I'm curious what you'll think if the SA31 single ended vs the Carbon balanced.

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #2,505 of 2,966
I'm curious what you'll think if the SA31 single ended vs the Carbon balanced.

I'm really curious about that, too. The SA-31SE has changed the way I view headphone amps. It's SS and extremely powerful (something like 10W@50 ohms). But it's all about finesse...incredibly nuanced sound, tonally & spatially. The Ori through the SA-31SE is fascinating & very good, because the Ori also emphasizes tonal purity, note separation, and soundstage.

But no amp is perfect. The weak spot of the SA-31SE is deep bass--while the bass is tuneful, it doesn't go quite low enough or with sufficient impact. It also falls slightly short in dynamics & "jump factor" across the entire frequency range. The Lake People G109-A betters it in both respects.

From everything I read about the LC (especially w/the Omni/Ori), it is described as a blend of the best things of both 2 HP amps. At least, that's what I'm hoping to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back