Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Oct 31, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #5,821 of 6,212
In this case, the batteries cannot be charged inside C9. Please remove the batteries and charge them with a separate 18650 charger. If they also cannot be charged on the 18650 charger, we are afraid the batteries need to be changed.
None of the helpful advice members provided worked, but I did stumble on a solution. There is very small reset pin whole on one one side of the unit. With the C9 plugged into the power I put a pin in the whole and held it for about 5 seconds, the light came on and the batteries started charging. It looks like this reset solved the problem.

I don't think this method is covered in the manual, which is a curious thing.

Oct 31, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #5,822 of 6,212
In this case, the batteries cannot be charged inside C9. Please remove the batteries and charge them with a separate 18650 charger. If they also cannot be charged on the 18650 charger, we are afraid the batteries need to be changed.
My experience - in the situation when the batteries need to be changed- is that the 18650 charger when plugged in, still will light up 4 constant lights. It seems that the charger will do this when it has done all it can to charge the batteries - even if they are not chargeable. In the end, I diagnosed the situation by individually testing each of the batteries with a multi-meter and finding that they held no significant charge.

Oct 31, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #5,823 of 6,212
None of the helpful advice members provided worked, but I did stumble on a solution. There is very small reset pin whole on one one side of the unit. With the C9 plugged into the power I put a pin in the whole and held it for about 5 seconds, the light came on and the batteries started charging. It looks like this reset solved the problem.

Wow that’s great- glad that worked for you. @CayinSupport what is in that hole? If it’s a reset button it would be important for us all to know about it!

Oct 31, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #5,824 of 6,212
Anyone try the c9 with sp3000? Especially interested in comparisons with sp2000... but really just any impressions would be cool. I'm considering going from 2000 to 3000, and hope it's gonna be goood. I find sp2000 to be by far the best dac for c9, far better than my other options (l&p p6 and dx200ti)

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #5,825 of 6,212

There is no reset hole on C9. Do you mean this hole(below picture showed)? It is a light hole.
1667292337734.png

This hole do not have the reset function.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 1, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #5,827 of 6,212
My experience - in the situation when the batteries need to be changed- is that the 18650 charger when plugged in, still will light up 4 constant lights. It seems that the charger will do this when it has done all it can to charge the batteries - even if they are not chargeable. In the end, I diagnosed the situation by individually testing each of the batteries with a multi-meter and finding that they held no significant charge.
If the battery can not be charged even with a seperate 18650 charger, we are afraid the battery may be faulty. You can consider to change four batteries.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 1, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #5,828 of 6,212

That is the whole I was referring two, sorry I confused it for a reset when it is actually a light. It must have been a coincidence that the unit started working when I put a paperclip in that whole. I had tried a number of times to wake the dead batteries, I guess the unit just randomly started working. I'm all sorted out now. Thanks.

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #5,829 of 6,212
Anyone try the c9 with sp3000? Especially interested in comparisons with sp2000... but really just any impressions would be cool. I'm considering going from 2000 to 3000, and hope it's gonna be goood. I find sp2000 to be by far the best dac for c9, far better than my other options (l&p p6 and dx200ti)
Funny but I’m just listening to that combo now. Sounds wonderful but I concede the SP2000 was very good so we talking incremental improvement here. The SP3000 brings, in my opinion, more clarity and an improved sound stage. Truthfully with iems you probably don’t need the C9 with the SP3000 as the SP drives them fine. However I already had the C9 and I like the combination. Plus when I swap from Odins to Utopias then you really need the C9.

Nov 26, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #5,831 of 6,212
I bought the C9 from Andrew at MusicTeck I have had it for a while and wanted to share my impressions. Shoutout to Andrew for the awesome customer service he responded really fast and it was an awesome experience.

I mainly use it with the Focal Stellia, Final D8000 Pro and Luxury Precision LP6 Gold.

First off with class A Solid State Timbre, I noticed an very clean sound, it improved the dynamics compared to the amp within the LP6
Gold and offered more punch and slam making the sound coming out of the stellia and d8000 pro more engaging. It also improved the Vocals making it more dynamic and more powerful making vocals come alive even more compared to LP6 amp.

Class A Tube Mode
This is my personal favorite configuration out of the three. In this mode what I said about the solid state timbre can be applied here. But with the tube timbre it takes the edges off everything just a little bit and adds a bit more soundstage. It kept all the advantage of the solid state it did not sound slow at all or have the negatives that people associate with tube. Only con I can give it is that I did notice a tiny lost in detail but the trade off was definitely worth it. The pairing with Focal Stellia in this mode was nothing short of amazing. Gave me chills while listening to some of my favorite tracks.

Class AB Solid State
This is my least favorite mode.
In my opinion this is a fun mode to have but most of the time I prefered the other modes.
The advantages of this mode is that it offered even more punch and dynamics compared to other modes. It was a fun and punchy experience but then I started to noticed the vocals did not sound as clear and the soundstage was smaller while losing quite a bit of detail.

Overall the C9 AMP for me is a clear step up from the amp inside the LP6 Gold. When I listened back to the LP6 alone the sound was less engaging, soundstage collapsed a bit, had less dynamics. The LP6 drove headphones even better than Hugo 2 in my opinion but C9 just offer that ability to driving full size headphones to the next level bringing my portable setup closer to desktop level. Definitely a must if I wanted to drive full size headphones on the go.
BE057488-13E0-4008-B6CD-88DCBA577519.jpeg
74431759-B97C-4C20-AF38-DB50E91BA1E4.jpeg
915544F1-701A-4C36-97F7-F7F38E2CF131.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #5,835 of 6,212
Hi guys, I am confused about the difference between Hugo 2 vs C9. I am new to this, so I have DAP should I connect the DAP+HUGO2+ C9? Or just DAP + HUGO2 or DAP+ C9? Are the sound will be different?
The C9 is just an amp. So you need a source to plug into it to get sound out of it. The Hugo 2 is a DAC/Amp combo. So you don’t need an external amp for it to get sound. Most people are happy with only the Hugo 2, but I liked using it in DAC mode an connected to the C9 because I preferred the sound of the Hugo 2/C9 together than directly out of the Hugo 2 itself. I no longer have my Hugo 2. I sold it in favor of a Mojo 2 because I want the EQ features. The sound quality is close, but the Hugo 2 does edge out the Mojo 2 in overall sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back