Cayin HA-1A users?
Jul 17, 2008 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Wil

1000+ Head-Fier
Where are you guys!

Seems like not alot of people are using this amp now.

I've been using it for years now and i'm still very happy with it.

hmmm.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 34
I'm one. Find it very musical with my RS-1 and K701. Just change the setting...

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm one. Find it very musical with my RS-1 and K701. Just change the setting...

scary. i use the RS-1 and K701 too.

haha. I find the RS-1 a tad more engaging on the Cayin though.

The AKG can be tad too clean at times.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 34
I was using a DT880 with mine. Both Zu 650 and 880 sounds fabulous in the midband on this amp.

Background noise seems a little annoying on long sessions with my 880 though. Although not clearly audible till I remove the headphone, but not as noticeable on the 650.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was using a DT880 with mine. Both Zu 650 and 880 sounds fabulous in the midband on this amp.

Background noise seems a little annoying on long sessions with my 880 though. Although not clearly audible till I remove the headphone, but not as noticeable on the 650.

My RS-1s do reveal a little hiss because of the low impedence but the amp is quiet on my K701 and DT150.

Rolling various tubes do help tame the background hum.

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

The noise was worst on Mullard CV4004 but in return, there's more body, space & liquid mids; at the expense of bite & attack compared to the RCA 5751

The CV4004 is quite overrated imo. I agree that the mids are extremely liquid, but i miss the lack of bite and attack.

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #9 of 34
I've sold mine and is considering something more practical like the CIAudio with VAC1 PS or back to tubes; likely the WA6 maxed or SE version. I'll wait for arrival of my Pico to see how I take to SS, but I'm already using SS in my main rig.

I've tried the 337 briefly but I don't feel there's a jump in quality over the HA-1A; more of a different sound and much quieter background.

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

I've sold mine and is considering something more practical like the CIAudio with VAC1 PS or back to tubes; likely the WA6 maxed or SE version. I'll wait for arrival of my Pico to see how I take to SS, but I'm already using SS in my main rig.

I've tried the 337 briefly but I don't feel there's a jump in quality over the HA-1A; more of a different sound and much quieter background.

Ahhh. WA6 maxed sounds interesting but looks rather heavy on the wallet.

The 337 is indeed not much of a jump, considering the price. I heard the Rudistor NX33 at Jaben last weekend and it is quite a nice SS amp. It's dynamic and lush at the same time. You should give it a listen!

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #12 of 34
I know I sound shallow admitting this but I really like the WA6SE's CNC milled casework. I've never audition one, so hope it's much better than the HA-1A and DV337.

I'm considering SS more for the convenience for leaving them on all the time.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 34
Give the Rudistor a listen first!

Only 1.3k Sing @ Jaben!

LOL.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #14 of 34
I was very tempted by the Cayin, but after reading comments here that I would immediately need to upgrade the tubes for it to sound great, I opted for the LD MKIV SE because it ships with great sounding tubes for half the price. Cayins sell used for $500 or less so if I'm bitten by the Cayin bug again I may just bite back.

Jul 18, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #15 of 34
Hi Wil,
Don't think I'll buy an Opamp amplifier like the Rudistor for that kind of money. That's about same amount as WA6 with parts upgrade. I think tube tech is very mature and I can imagine listening to a well designed & simple hardwired tube amp a decade later but Opamp technologies changes so fast. If I get a ss, it'll be more out of convenience than sound quality, so likely to be something compact and low cost like the chip amp based VHP2 or discrete class A PH1000.

wae5,
A new HA-1A sells for around USD500 or less in Asia but I'm not sure if there's a dif in the type of stock tubes used. Except for the Mullard CV4004, the rest of the tubes cost less than $200 total. Besides the luscious midrange in triode, I like the very narrow footprint that allows me to use it as a phone stand. It also matches my 880's color & finish perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back