Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Nov 15, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #4,741 of 6,488
This seller has some Red Print Mullard's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2044526267...VfNWCSSTQa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

@jonchard these would be killer with the Sus. :wink:
I have standard white print Mullards and the Yellow print Mullards. Both of which i utterly love. Red prints sound interesting :) :) Currently im switched to RCA c2cc and they too are damn good. But i feel they seem somehow quieter than the mullard V135. I cant quite get that dynamic drive im used to with VR135. But, with other headphones that are easier to drive, the C2CC's are brilliant. In C2CC i have 4 variations to test, different top plates, supports etc. Im looking forward to falling back to the Mullards though, my brain feels at ease with them and everything seems just a bit more "right". I love reading your enthusiam Wes, and i now EXACTLY where you are coming from. Every time a start an old song ive not heard for 20 years, it sounds so 3d and uncovered i need to finish the experience! Songs i have played on expensive speakers systems that sounded like they were recorded flat. But tubes give an insight into the recording space like nothing else (especially when you find a synergistic combo). ... Amazing that the system can make you do that until the day has passed lol!

Ive spanked vast sums into my other hobby, Astrophotographer to the point i cant find the money for Red print at the moment LOL! Until something else sells im resigned to white and yellow.... PS, im still hating on you for those gorgeous SICTE 22DE4. I think you got the last set in the entire world. :) :) :)

Nov 15, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #4,742 of 6,488
I have standard white print Mullards and the Yellow print Mullards. Both of which i utterly love. Red prints sound interesting :) :) Currently im switched to RCA c2cc and they too are damn good. But i feel they seem somehow quieter than the mullard V135. I cant quite get that dynamic drive im used to with VR135. But, with other headphones that are easier to drive, the C2CC's are brilliant. In C2CC i have 4 variations to test, different top plates, supports etc. Im looking forward to falling back to the Mullards though, my brain feels at ease with them and everything seems just a bit more "right". I love reading your enthusiam Wes, and i now EXACTLY where you are coming from. Every time a start an old song ive not heard for 20 years, it sounds so 3d and uncovered i need to finish the experience! Songs i have played on expensive speakers systems that sounded like they were recorded flat. But tubes give an insight into the recording space like nothing else (especially when you find a synergistic combo). ... Amazing that the system can make you do that until the day has passed lol!

Ive spanked vast sums into my other hobby, Astrophotographer to the point i cant find the money for Red print at the moment LOL! Until something else sells im resigned to white and yellow.... PS, im still hating on you for those gorgeous SICTE 22DE4. I think you got the last set in the entire world. :) :) :)
I would love to see some pics of the 4 variations of 2C22, if you don't mind? That is one I am curious about. . .

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #4,743 of 6,488
This seller has some Red Print Mullard's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2044526267...VfNWCSSTQa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

@jonchard these would be killer with the Sus. :wink:
Aren't they the GEC version and not the Mullard version?

Also, the one tube in the photo appears to not have a red print (or it could just be a faded red color)

They also do not test highly with a Gm of only ~2,500muHos.

Why do you believe that "red print" implies a better tube with better tolerances? Do you have "evidence" to support that assertion?

Jeff.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #4,744 of 6,488
Aren't they the GEC version and not the Mullard version?

Also, the one tube in the photo appears to not have a red print (or it could just be a faded red color)

They also do not test highly with a Gm of only ~2,500muHos.

Why do you believe that "red print" implies a better tube with better tolerances? Do you have "evidence" to support that assertion?

Jeff.
I was going to mention the low test ... my yellow prints were 3400 and my whites were 3200! I see some of the other paramters are MU ... whcih i believe is their gain isnt it? Does a 24 mu play louder than a 20 mu?

Nov 15, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #4,745 of 6,488
I was going to mention the low test ... my yellow prints were 3400 and my whites were 3200! I see some of the other paramters are MU ... whcih i believe is their gain isnt it? Does a 24 mu play louder than a 20 mu?
They have more than 1 quad available, and if it were me I would aks the seller to sell me the best high testing quad. I just provided the link to show some were available, the rest of the leg work is up to whomever wants to buy some.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #4,746 of 6,488

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #4,749 of 6,488
Interested in buying a set of Elrog 300b tubes. If anyone wants to sell a pair, PM me. 🙂

Nov 16, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #4,750 of 6,488
Giving the 6S5S a rest, and just rolled back in a quad of Red Print Mullard VR135, and damn these tubes absolutely slam. It's like everything is turned up to 11! :astonished: These Mullard's have flavor in all the right areas. The bass is crazy, the mids have texture you can feel, and the highs are smooth yet soar. I can feel the music, and it is highly engaging. The staging is huge and very open, with incredible layering and imaging. These tubes are truly magical. Detail can be heard everywhere and way off in the background, with that incredible layering. I am getting slam and detail, that reminds me of the Bliss/May combo I heard this past weekend at CanJam, yet the HA300mk2 takes things one step further in terms of being more open with better holographic staging and detail.

20231114_051918.jpg

Curious, if anyone has heard the Red Print version? They have a different top mica, and plate color compared to the black print/black plates, and I believe they might be the very first version. They sound like the more common Mullard CV6/VR135 Black Print on steroids, and really are on another level.

Red Print usually indicates a tube with tighter tolerances of which brings better performance (bass, texture, detail and staging all improve with a lower noise floor).

These tubes are nuts!
Hold on I haven't been on here for a second. What adapter are you using now? Those wires look way more substantial than mine.

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #4,751 of 6,488
Hold on I haven't been on here for a second. What adapter are you using now? Those wires look way more substantial than mine.
These are @Deyan custom made adapters.

20230918_212522.jpg

Spoiler alert - The better wires and point to point with no PCB actually sounds better.

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #4,752 of 6,488
These are @Deyan custom made adapters.

20230918_212522.jpg

Spoiler alert - The better wires and point to point with no PCB actually sounds better.
@Deyan are you making more of these??? They seem so much more substantial. Is the shielding any better vs the ebay style? I get a lot of RF noises creeping in on my adapters. What is the PCB doing in the ebay style? Sorry that I'm late to this convo I hadn't checked in for a while.

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #4,753 of 6,488
@Deyan are you making more of these??? They seem so much more substantial. Is the shielding any better vs the ebay style? I get a lot of RF noises creeping in on my adapters. What is the PCB doing in the ebay style? Sorry that I'm late to this convo I hadn't checked in for a while.
He makes pretty much any kind of adapter you want and has been doing it for years. I suggest PM'ing him with all your questions. He is very helpful, and always replies back quickly.

The wire in mine is shielded microphone wire, and is just much much better quality. As for PCB on the Ebay one's, most Audiophiles will tell you point to point wiring sounds better than the thin cheap wire used in the PCB's. I have to imagine the reason it's better, is the signal travels faster and purer through point to point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back