Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Feb 12, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #5,491 of 6,478
Plus, they have different quality tiers (both by model and by screening/matching) so there's no reason they couldn't maintain their hifi business as is.
Of course, there is no reason to install the cheapest tubes in TOTL amp other than of curiosity.
In real life we should rely on our own experience or experience of people we trust. So, one of my Linlai E6SN7 was faulty (buzzing and crackling in audio tract). Probably it was damaged during transportation (box was strongly damaged). Seller have sent me another matched tube, this pair works flawlessly for several months.
Psvane Acme 300b pair I bought one month later was perfect from the beginning.
By the way, we all have seen some reports of problems with the most famous and expensive tubes.
Should we make any conclusions about overall tube quality from these manufacturers? I’m not sure.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #5,492 of 6,478
Of course, there is no reason to install the cheapest tubes in TOTL amp other than of curiosity.
In real life we should rely on our own experience or experience of people we trust. So, one of my Linlai E6SN7 was faulty (buzzing and crackling in audio tract). Probably it was damaged during transportation (box was strongly damaged). Seller have sent me another matched tube, this pair works flawlessly for several months.
Psvane Acme 300b pair I bought one month later was perfect from the beginning.
By the way, we all have seen some reports of problems with the most famous and expensive tubes.
Should we make any conclusions about overall tube quality from these manufacturers? I’m not sure.

That's kind of where I'm at as well. I had a problem with a PSVane KT88-TII blowing fuses in my Cayin HA-6A and I got a replacement tube from the vendor, which now works fine.

It could be that there are quality issues, or it could've been damaged in shipping from China. Since my sample size is n=1, I'm hesitant to make any definitive statements.

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #5,494 of 6,478
I would dare to suppose that any less picky amp (without that fuses) should work normally with the former tube.

In this particular case, I don't think so. There was definitely a problem with the tube, as verified by tube tester.

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #5,495 of 6,478
In this particular case, I don't think so. There was definitely a problem with the tube, as verified by tube tester.
Oh, yea! Owning a tube tester is very useful. This hobby is really costly)
But seriously, why not all amps were using these fuses? Maybe it’s because without them output transformers should be able to handle higher current without being damaged? Then amp should be heavier and more expensive than necessary. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #5,496 of 6,478
Oh, yea! Owning a tube tester is very useful. This hobby is really costly)

Sadly, I don't (yet), but I have good friends.

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #5,497 of 6,478
Edit: Double post - added some pictures with the Elrog 300Bs instead. They are tall and won't fit with the cage on without some help.
What have you used as "help" to bring the cage higher, but yet stable and in place? Pins similar to the attached photo (borrowed from an old listing), or another solution? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0130.JPEG
    IMG_0130.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 12, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #5,498 of 6,478
What have you used as "help" to bring the cage higher, but yet stable and in place? Pins similar to the attached photo (borrowed from an old listing), or another solution? Thanks.

4mm banana plug extenders work well for this.

Feb 13, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #5,500 of 6,478
Feb 13, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #5,501 of 6,478
4mm banana plug extenders work well for this.
Awesome, thanks for your reply. According to another recommendation I received, speaker/RCA plugs seem to be an option too (for those who already have them on hand), but I guess I'll go for the banana plugs, as the cage plugs are also banana plug shape as well.

Feb 13, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #5,502 of 6,478
Awesome, thanks for your reply. According to another recommendation I received, speaker/RCA plugs seem to be an option too (for those who already have them on hand), but I guess I'll go for the banana plugs, as the cage plugs are also banana plug shape as well.

Yeah, the cage plugs fit right into the extenders if you get the right size. Just be cautious not to get the 4mm to 2mm banana extenders as those seem to be more common than the 4mm to 4mm.

I just added another post with links if that makes finding them a bit easier.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #5,503 of 6,478
Yeah, the cage plugs fit right into the extenders if you get the right size. Just be cautious not to get the 4mm to 2mm banana extenders as those seem to be more common than the 4mm to 4mm.

I just added another post with links if that makes finding them a bit easier.
Just saw the other post, thanks again.

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #5,504 of 6,478
It had been a while since I tried the G.E.C. CV1135 I got from @Wes S, but today I swapped them into the adapters from @Deyan and.....wow. Paired with the Caldera this is simply one of the best sounds I've heard from any amp and headphone combo. I'm using the Elrogs for 300b and I'm not even sure what rectifier combo I have in there right now. For a while it was back to the stock RCAs and that may very well be what is in there now. I'm sitting here now just stunned by this load out. I think the G.E.C. are weird and rare, but honestly I really recommend trying that tube size adapted into t he 6SN7s for anyone who hasn't messed around with it. The only downside of that tube variety adapted in my experience has been a sensitivity to over the air interference.

Feb 16, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #5,505 of 6,478
Big thanks to the Cayin HA-300B MKII owners for sharing about the banana plug extenders to allow the amp cage to fit with taller 300Bs.

I ordered a cheap temporary set from Amazon and have installed them. Love having the cage in place as intended. I've also ordered a nicer set that are on the way. Just wanted to make sure this was the way to go. It certainly is.

:k701smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back