Cayin iDAP-6 - versatile new desktop transport
Feb 10, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #421 of 424
Thank you for that info (and for joining just to add it!), could be very useful for someone in the same boat as you.

Personally I just wrote off all the network options when using the iDAP-6. I take all my older SD and micro-SD cards (with adapters), mostly 64GB or 32GB - and repurposed them for music collections. So one card will be "classical" and another "jazz", another "metal" etc. Doing so helps me avoid having lengthy and potentially buggy library updates, and frankly helps avoid the overwhelming feeling I get when using a much larger card... too many options to choose from. I have noticed once in a while it doesn't like a certain album, but I've never paid enough attention to know if it's an illegal character or some other random problem. I usually just remove that album and move on.

For what it's worth, I'm told Cayin is working on a higher-end digital transport, which will have the same massive full-size enclosure as the CS-100DAC. After that they tentatively want to make an i8 series of smaller components, which would probably include replacements for the iDAC-6 and iHA-6 in addition to a smaller form factor version of the new digital transport (so maybe iDAP-8 if they use the same naming scheme).

The rest of their gear is always extremely well done, and the DAPs seem to be far better implemented than the iDAP-6 was, so hopefully that bodes well for the new models. As you said, the SQ is excellent, so they just need to work on the other aspects to get it right.

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #424 of 424
The following are supported. I tried connecting a USB keyboard in case there were more characters available but this didn't work at all as an input device.

-​
:​
;​
(​
)​
¥​
@​
“​
”​
#​
*​
&​