Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Dec 4, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #6,031 of 6,262
Yes, they match perfectly and what’s funny is that I just happened to have them on me paired to my iPhone when the N3 arrived - it wasn’t even planned but when I noticed how perfectly they matched, I had to include them in the picture with the N3! :ksc75smile:

They are the Sony MDR-EX750BT, otherwise known as the h.ear Wireless, and they have LDAC and aptX and as a great feature can also be used wired with the included micro-USB to 3.5mm cable.

Looks great! Thank you for sharing!:smile:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 6, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #6,032 of 6,262
Hi everyone!!

Gonna try to make this short and sweet :)

I just got my N3 today!!! I’m coming from a Fiio X1ii. It’s been getting on my LAST nerve... I’m so glad I learned about the N3 because it seems like it’s so much more functional.

Question - can someone please explain or at least link me to an explanation of how I can get the most out of the N3? I have Twister 6’s review saved, but there’s a ton of technical/audio terminology that I haven’t yet learned. All I know is that I have Bluetooth lol. (Of course I know more than I think, it’s just certain things are still new to me).

I’m still in the dark about basically everything... to quote Twister 6:

“HO and LO outputs, digital S/PDIF with an optional type-c coax cable, USB DAC functionality, you can pair it up (though BT wireless connection) with your smartphone and other sources to be able to stream audio and remotely control those sources” and replay gain, breakpoint resume, dop, d2p, and what’s a good recommendation for an OTG device?

Thank you!

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #6,033 of 6,262
Hi everyone!!

Gonna try to make this short and sweet :)

I just got my N3 today!!! I’m coming from a Fiio X1ii. It’s been getting on my LAST nerve... I’m so glad I learned about the N3 because it seems like it’s so much more functional.

Question - can someone please explain or at least link me to an explanation of how I can get the most out of the N3? I have Twister 6’s review saved, but there’s a ton of technical/audio terminology that I haven’t yet learned. All I know is that I have Bluetooth lol. (Of course I know more than I think, it’s just certain things are still new to me).

I’m still in the dark about basically everything... to quote Twister 6:

“HO and LO outputs, digital S/PDIF with an optional type-c coax cable, USB DAC functionality, you can pair it up (though BT wireless connection) with your smartphone and other sources to be able to stream audio and remotely control those sources” and replay gain, breakpoint resume, dop, d2p, and what’s a good recommendation for an OTG device?

Thank you!
Hi, you can get most basic information regarding N3 from our official website:http://en.cayin.cn/products_info?itemid=106

Dec 8, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #6,034 of 6,262
Hi, you can get most basic information regarding N3 from our official website:http://en.cayin.cn/products_info?itemid=106

Thank you, Cayin!

I’ve been reading that info on your site, but I still don’t understand what those features actually mean and how they change functionality within the device. I’ve done Google searches but so far, the info I find really just explains everything from an intermediate standpoint... nothing for noobs/beginners like me :)

Dec 11, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #6,037 of 6,262
Thank you, Cayin!

I’ve been reading that info on your site, but I still don’t understand what those features actually mean and how they change functionality within the device. I’ve done Google searches but so far, the info I find really just explains everything from an intermediate standpoint... nothing for noobs/beginners like me :)
Hi, if so, you can download the N3 user manual and get familiar with its basic operation first from here: wihttp://en.cayin.cn/download/show?id=13509 If you still have question with N3, you can put forward again with more details. I will try my best to help you.

Dec 11, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #6,038 of 6,262
@CayinSupport

One usability issue I have (and has been pointed out by others in this thread) is the capacitive touch zones are too large and close together resulting in accidental presses. I think the zones would function much better if there were deadzone areas between the zones. Is this something that could be done through firmware?

Dec 11, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #6,039 of 6,262
@CayinSupport

One usability issue I have (and has been pointed out by others in this thread) is the capacitive touch zones are too large and close together resulting in accidental presses. I think the zones would function much better if there were deadzone areas between the zones. Is this something that could be done through firmware?

The zoning issue is a hardware issue, we can't create a null area in the capacitive sensor, this is not possible with the capacitive chip we used in N3. Sorry for unable to offer a solution.

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #6,040 of 6,262
If I could make a feature request here, it would be nice to have two things: an option to change the speed text moves, and a clock if it's possible. Usually when I pull out my device, I like to check the time if I have the option. Minor things, but would love to see it added if possible.

As well, like others have mentioned before, it would be nice to use custom backgrounds or if there was a way to edit the firmware update with different wallpapers, etc. Otherwise my experience with the N3 has been great. Rare bugs where it won't play audio, but nothing a reboot couldn't fix.

Dec 12, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #6,041 of 6,262
If I could make a feature request here, it would be nice to have two things: an option to change the speed text moves, and a clock if it's possible. Usually when I pull out my device, I like to check the time if I have the option. Minor things, but would love to see it added if possible.

As well, like others have mentioned before, it would be nice to use custom backgrounds or if there was a way to edit the firmware update with different wallpapers, etc. Otherwise my experience with the N3 has been great. Rare bugs where it won't play audio, but nothing a reboot couldn't fix.

I use the custom firmware made by @gLer which does change the background.

Dec 12, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #6,042 of 6,262

For the clock request, this is unlikely because N3 cannot connect to the atomic clock for reference date/time, and the only "clock" we have inside the DAP are two crystal oscillators, they are good for their designated purpose (digital audio synchronization) but not time keeping.
For custom backgrounds request, thank you for your good suggestion! I will record this feature for our future products.

Dec 12, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #6,043 of 6,262
For the clock request, this is unlikely because N3 cannot connect to the atomic clock for reference date/time, and the only "clock" we have inside the DAP are two crystal oscillators, they are good for their designated purpose (digital audio synchronization) but not time keeping.
For custom backgrounds request, thank you for your good suggestion! I will record this feature for our future products.

Thank you for the explanation as to why a clock would not be possible on this device! I'd like to add, would it be possible to add a font scrolling speed option? I find the text scrolls through titles, etc, a bit too slowly for my liking. But again, if that can't be changed, I completely understand.

I use the custom firmware made by @gLer which does change the background.

I was going to use his cfw when I first got my N3 but then I realized it's much older than the latest official firmware, so I'm not using the cfw atm. If there was an update I missed, just let me know! :)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #6,044 of 6,262
Thank you for the explanation as to why a clock would not be possible on this device! I'd like to add, would it be possible to add a font scrolling speed option? I find the text scrolls through titles, etc, a bit too slowly for my liking. But again, if that can't be changed, I completely understand.

I was going to use his cfw when I first got my N3 but then I realized it's much older than the latest official firmware, so I'm not using the cfw atm. If there was an update I missed, just let me know! :)

The N3 is unlikely to accommodate new feature request. For the record, the DAP is more then 18 months old already. We'll continue to support the product if there are serious bugs showing up, but preference or refinement based modification will be unlikely. I hope users can understand that Cayin stands by our products but we'll run out of resource if we don't follow priority seriously. Being efficient is the only way to delivery low cost high performance products to the market.

The wallpaper is a system level change, we can't create a feature to look for a jpeg file in your TF card and use it as wallpaper as-is, we have to modify it at firmware level. We don't believe this skill-set is commonly available among users, so we decided NOT to offer this feature. In fact, Cayin has tried something like that in previous DAP by creating a DIY theme tool, it worked but was too complicated for general users, so the tools was only used by a handful of users to the best of our knowledge, so we decided not to do that again.

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #6,045 of 6,262
Makes sense, although I wish the DIY tool was available for those that understand how to use it, but I get how generic users won't understand it. I can't believe it's been out for almost 2 years though, I'm very very late to the DAP. I might downgrade to that cfw then but it's a shame that one's out of date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back