Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Oct 3, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #1,276 of 2,518
And I just tested with some Goa trance from mid 90s (with BPM around 140 I guess) that I most certainly prefer it with tubes (N3Pro with with 3.5mm UL --> then to 4.4mm for comparison --> then back to 3.5mm UL). This with Thieaudio Clairvoyance IEM, 4.4mm cable with adapter to 3.5 when needed.

I actually said a week ago or so (before I got the Clairvoyance) that I preferred the triode more for pretty much everything, but with Clair it's different and I use UL for everything (so far) with it. So seems to be IEM dependent for sure + other factors of your subjective preference.
Definitely as my iems are planar and with edm, I prefer the speed and power that I get with ss balanced

Oct 3, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #1,277 of 2,518
As a rule.. UL... I like the wider soundstage and out of the two, I generally use that more but sometimes I like the closeness of triode and it is a more authentic tube sound whereas UL is kind of a hybrid
I never listen to desktop tube amp, is the triode the same or close to the sound of a typical desktop tube amp?

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #1,279 of 2,518
Nothing is set in stone. Whatever sounds better to your ears, go with it. And if anything, earphones/headphones will be more genre specific based on their tuning, their signature, their tonality, etc. I mean, don't get me wrong, sources do play a role as well. Triode mode, besides a narrow and more intimate soundstage, will give the sound a slower and more laidback characteristics vs UL being faster, more aggressive, and more expanded, and that will affect pair up synergy with your earphones/headphones.

Oct 3, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #1,280 of 2,518
Nice power on 4.4 with my goldplanar GL850
IMG_20201004_021210.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #1,281 of 2,518
OK so I'm gonna describe my experience so far with this DAP.

It started very innocent. Some crashes here and there and OS that is rebooting itself while skipping tracks. Kinda annoying but nothing bad pretty much.
4th day of usage, tried to connect to BT speaker for the first time. Wanted to go up in volume to 100 since I can control volume from speaker, then went back to 35 since I've switched to my IEMs and... Volume knob died.
It doesn't work at all unless you'll very hardly press top right portion which scratches body underneath and shuts off your DAP after few seconds.
Later on more crashes, most annoying were the ones that literally stopped my shuffle playlist for no particular reason in the middle of the song.
And suddenly we fast forward to today. Tried to use Hiby Link with my phone, doesn't work. Trying to BT connect to my car, connection failed.
Wanted to make fully wireless gaming system with wireless mic, gamepad and audio. Trying to connect N3 Pro to my Bluetooth Transmitter, connection failed.
Trying connect N3 Pro to my Bluetooth Dongle in PC... connection failed, PC recognizes it as Display.
Don't even want to know what's gonna come next... I think I'm just gonna return it. Thought I'll never find anything more unstable than that DX160 I've once tested.
Guess I was wrong...
BWFX6116.jpg BWFX6132.jpgBWFX6124.jpg

Oct 3, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #1,282 of 2,518

It started very innocent. Some crashes here and there and OS that is rebooting itself while skipping tracks. Kinda annoying but nothing bad pretty much.
4th day of usage, tried to connect to BT speaker for the first time. Wanted to go up in volume to 100 since I can control volume from speaker, then went back to 35 since I've switched to my IEMs and... Volume knob died.
It doesn't work at all unless you'll very hardly press top right portion which scratches body underneath and shuts off your DAP after few seconds.
Later on more crashes, most annoying were the ones that literally stopped my shuffle playlist for no particular reason in the middle of the song.
And suddenly we fast forward to today. Tried to use Hiby Link with my phone, doesn't work. Trying to BT connect to my car, connection failed.
Wanted to make fully wireless gaming system with wireless mic, gamepad and audio. Trying to connect N3 Pro to my Bluetooth Transmitter, connection failed.
Trying connect N3 Pro to my Bluetooth Dongle in PC... connection failed, PC recognizes it as Display.
Don't even want to know what's gonna come next... I think I'm just gonna return it. Thought I'll never find anything more unstable than that DX160 I've once tested.
Guess I was wrong...
BWFX6116.jpg BWFX6132.jpgBWFX6124.jpg
Many most posts ago I also mention the same experience about crashing and rebooting when adding music to playlist.

however I’m experiencing less crashes now don’t know why lol

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #1,283 of 2,518
I actually like electronic music with tubes (N3Pro or Oriolus BA300s from Ibasso DX160 4.4mm) and it's my preference but I switch around. Though it's obviously subjective and I mostly listen to 90s Goa trance, 90s underground techno/house and psybient (psychedelic ambient) so it might be related to production techniques. But check for instance Carbon Based Lifeforms (Derelicts album for instance) on tubes, the "warm cocoon" fits it perfectly.

I love FSOL, Shprongle, The Orb, Ozric Tentacles, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Zero 0ne, Bluetech, Infected Mushroom, Ott, Radiohead, Sounds from the Ground, Floyd etc.
all on UL tube mode.

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #1,284 of 2,518

Guess I was wrong...

I would definitely return or exchange it if your volume knob is broke, that's a no brainer. I believe your the second person who's had that happen. Hopefully it's just a couple of isolated cases. Haven't had any crashes myself and my BT works fine.

Sounds like a hot mess, good luck.

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #1,285 of 2,518
I love FSOL, Shprongle, The Orb, Ozric Tentacles, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Zero 0ne, Bluetech, Infected Mushroom, Ott, Radiohead, Sounds from the Ground, Floyd etc.
all on UL tube mode.
+1 for Floyd on UL

Oct 4, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #1,286 of 2,518
all on UL tube mode.

Yes, many of my favorites on the list :L3000: You typoed Shpongle :thinking: And just started listening to Ozric Tentacles- Strangeitude, sounds excellent on the N3Pro tubes.

If you haven't checked out (and I'm mentioning this because they are for some reason not as well known as they would deserve) is Hoopy Frood, a British band that draws inspiration from a lot of great things such as the earlier Pink Floyd, Ozric, Shpongle etc. and in fact they sent their 2nd album as a demo version to Ott "not expecting a reply" who loved it and then proceeded to mix/co-produce the album. Anyway, their two albums are both as good as it gets, with some lovely female vocals as well.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #1,287 of 2,518
Yes, many of my favorites on the list :L3000: You typoed Shpongle :thinking: And just started listening to Ozric Tentacles- Strangeitude, sounds excellent on the N3Pro tubes.

If you haven't checked out (and I'm mentioning this because they are for some reason not as well known as they would deserve) is Hoopy Frood, a British band that draws inspiration from a lot of great things such as the earlier Pink Floyd, Ozric, Shpongle etc. and in fact they sent their 2nd album as a demo version to Ott "not expecting a reply" who loved it and then proceeded to mix/co-produce the album. Anyway, their two albums are both as good as it gets, with some lovely female vocals as well.

I'll have to check out Hoopy :) And Ozrick has a pretty massive catalog! I always seem to typo Shpongle, like they're should be an 'r' in there somewhere ha ha.

Oh and is there an album you would recommend by Hoopy Frood?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #1,288 of 2,518
BTW is there no way on artists to play all the albums under the said artist tab? Usually there's a select all or some way of doing that. Unless I'm missing something obvious.

Oct 4, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #1,289 of 2,518
I've had twice (edit: make that three) now some weird bug(?) that repeats the same song on an album, the icon in top row changes to something with "1" in it and I have to switch it back to normal album play. This was in fact 4th track on the album and I'm pretty sure I didn't click anything to cause it.

Speaking of icons, what's the icon that looks like 6 halves of bones right next (left) of the battery status %?
(edit: looks like those EQ icons in those settings but the icon stays the same even after changing EQ presets...)

And has anyone spent time with the PCM digital filters and how much they affect the sound (subjective probably)? I only put it to "short delay slow" after a quick go-through and left it there...

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #1,290 of 2,518
And has anyone spent time with the PCM digital filters and how much they affect the sound (subjective probably)? I only put it to "short delay slow" after a quick go-through and left it there...
It's very subtle.. most noticeable about slow filters is a tiny bit less higher end than the sharp ones, so a bit more warm sounding. But I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back