Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Oct 7, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #1,381 of 2,518
Any idea if the red indicator light will be off / turn green when the device finish charging ? Thank you

It slowly blinks/moves when charging and it stays red (no blinking) when at 100%.

Oct 7, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #1,382 of 2,518
Any idea if the red indicator light will be off / turn green when the device finish charging ? Thank you

It was in the menu: flash while charging, lighted up continuously when charging is completed.

N3Pro charging instruction.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 8, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #1,384 of 2,518
Thanks for the clarification on that! It's not a major issue for me, but it helps to know the specifics for things like this in case a customer has a problem or to advise someone who's looking to make a purchase whether or not the device will work with their use case.

Any idea as to whether or not it could be fixed in a future firmware update, or is the nature of the issue not something that can be easily fixed in an update?

We can't fix the problem at firmware level, we need to add an alternative power path in the DAP in order to provide an "option" to turn off the USB charging at USB DAC mode. This is not complicated, just can't be done by firmware update.

Oct 8, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #1,385 of 2,518
I hope you'll receive a new N3Pro very soon, we are looking forward to collect the player from Phil and find out what happened. Did you send the faulty N3Pro back to Phil already?
It's going out tomorrow and most likely I'll ask for refund.
These charging times are just killing me for such battery life + not having ability to shut off charging while using it as USB DAC is pretty annoying for me because that was supposed to be my desktop use as well which means... I'll kill that battery very quickly.
I'll get N6 II though and I'm also planning to make a review about it :)

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #1,386 of 2,518
These charging times are just killing me for such battery life + not having ability to shut off charging while using it as USB DAC is pretty annoying for me because that was supposed to be my desktop use as well which means... I'll kill that battery very quickly.

I should never turn down a customer but I must warn you in advance. With N6ii, you also can't turn off charging while using the DAP as USB DAC. If this is the reason that turn you away from N3Pro, N6ii will not meet your needs.

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #1,387 of 2,518
I should never turn down a customer but I must warn you in advance. With N6ii, you also can't turn off charging while using the DAP as USB DAC. If this is the reason that turn you away from N3Pro, N6ii will not meet your needs.
Oh no, I'm only getting it for a review. Have to look for something else nonetheless that'll meet my very specific needs.

Oct 8, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #1,388 of 2,518
@Andykong hi, couple of questions (please forgive me if they've been already answered).

1. BT, regardless of the choice I make from LDAC or APTX, when connected i.e. to the smartphone the screen says LDAC and 96khz. 96 btw Is a "bottleneck" from my smartphone, the connection codec, or the player?

2. When streaming from Tidal (smartphone) to the DAP, sound seems a bit "recessed": Is that common and again due to the limit of this kind of connection, or am I missing something?

3. I see there Is a new firmware but when I try to download OTA with WiFi It gives me error. Why Is that?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #1,389 of 2,518

Mine takes less time than yours maybe you have a defective unit. Mine charges in about 3 hours from a normal 2 amp charger. You could also just charge it at night.

Oct 8, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #1,390 of 2,518
@Andykong hi, couple of questions (please forgive me if they've been already answered).

1. BT, regardless of the choice I make from LDAC or APTX, when connected i.e. to the smartphone the screen says LDAC and 96khz. 96 btw Is a "bottleneck" from my smartphone, the connection codec, or the player?

2. When streaming from Tidal (smartphone) to the DAP, sound seems a bit "recessed": Is that common and again due to the limit of this kind of connection, or am I missing something?

3. I see there Is a new firmware but when I try to download OTA with WiFi It gives me error. Why Is that?

Cheers!

I think that new firmware message
is an error.

Oct 8, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #1,392 of 2,518
One thing I really like a lot about this dap is the ability to make iem that shine one female vocals such as Fitear mh335 dw Sr sound even sweeter in tube mode and once you enable triode it becomes super sweet.

this is very nice because I find the noble k10 / k10 encore to be slightly sweeter sounding than the mh335 dw Sr for a few female vocal songs where that particular female singer benefit from the sweeter sound of the noble but the mh335 to be much better for most music genre including the majority of female singers and songs.

but now when I switch on tube mode triode the mh335 dw Sr becomes much sweeter and close sounding to the noble k10 / k10 encore in terms of female vocal super sweetness.

thus I don’t miss anything by owning only the Fitear mh335 dw Sr and the N3Pro.

the N3Pro is really nice in this regard in my personal opinion :)

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #1,393 of 2,518

Cheers!

This is From Sony.net, the maximum bitrate of LDAC is 999kbps, so the maximum bit depth and sampling frequency is 24Bit/96kHz, that's the limitation of the LDAC codec.

1602210037352.png

I'll let others comment on the subjective listening impression.

The firmware update note is a false alarm, we'll announce firmware update here when we release a new firmware.

Oct 8, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #1,394 of 2,518
Mine takes less time than yours maybe you have a defective unit. Mine charges in about 3 hours from a normal 2 amp charger. You could also just charge it at night.

He knew that is a defeated unit, his dealer Phil has offered to replace his unit, I believe they have communicated since late September about this arrangement, but he decided to film a Youtube review and published two written reviews with the defeated unit and then ask for refund. You can find most of the detail in previous post HERE and HERE

Last edited:

Oct 9, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #1,395 of 2,518
This is From Sony.net, the maximum bitrate of LDAC is 999kbps, so the maximum bit depth and sampling frequency is 24Bit/96kHz, that's the limitation of the LDAC codec.

I'll let others comment on the subjective listening impression.

The firmware update note is a false alarm, we'll announce firmware update here when we release a new firmware.

Thanks, I am curious since It Is a feature I basically start to Explore now.

Btw in the meanwhile I found this, It seems might give some of the answers to the dilemma.

I Will make cross check with the only other DAP I have with same capability. All in all I get the bottleneck might then not be the player, and in any case I do wonder (in general) how the actual technology in BT signal transfer Is considered "acceptable". Hope I am missing something here :)

Sorry for the (partial) OT.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back