Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 4, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #241 of 868
Cayin posted this on their Facebook page this morning. Hopefully this means that by next week MusicTeck will have the players in stock and ready to ship.

https://fb.watch/rd7M3Er6QJ/
"Exciting news, everyone! The N3Ultra is currently en route to our international agents, and we're thrilled to share the list of agents who will soon have stocks available:
USA: MusicTeck
Thailand: Holysai
Indonesia: PT lntium lndo Prima
Israel: HIFI Connect
UK: HIFONIX
Singapore: Zeppelin & Co.
Germany: Cayin Audio Distribution GmbH
The Netherlands: A Tube High Fidelity
Taiwan: 音樂趨勢
UK: Premium Sound"
There are several dealers in Canada that have carried Cayin DAP's it would be nice if there was one listed. Importing from Musicteck is to expensive as they charge alot for shipping and you can't avoid the customs fees on stuff imported from the US. I would love to be able to demo one before I buy it.

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #242 of 868
I wanted to order from Hifigo becausethe price is cheaper than in Europe and I don't have to pay customs fees. I don't understand why prices are always higher in Europe than the rest of the world
Not just Europe, Canada gets killed on pricing, often worse than Europe.

Apr 4, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #243 of 868
There are several dealers in Canada that have carried Cayin DAP's it would be nice if there was one listed. Importing from Musicteck is to expensive as they charge alot for shipping and you can't avoid the customs fees on stuff imported from the US. I would love to be able to demo one before I buy it.
Somebody should try and get headphones.com enlisted as an authorized dealer. They seem to be all out of their iBasso DAPs at the moment.

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #244 of 868
Somebody should try and get headphones.com enlisted as an authorized dealer. They seem to be all out of their iBasso DAPs at the moment.
Seems most Canadian online dealers are out of stock on most of their DAP's except for maybe A&K and Fiio.
I was just checking out the Shanling M5 Ultra thread, they are actually going with the MTouch OS on it and pricing it at $589 US. Looks to have some premium hardware but somehow I feel the N3 Ultra is alot more interesting and cheaper to boot.

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #245 of 868
I was just checking out the Shanling M5 Ultra thread, they are actually going with the MTouch OS on it and pricing it at $589 US. Looks to have some premium hardware but somehow I feel the N3 Ultra is alot more interesting and cheaper to boot.
I am also debating between these two models due to their imminent arrival at my dealer. Let's see if the first lucky ones review something here.

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #246 of 868
I am also debating between these two models due to their imminent arrival at my dealer. Let's see if the first lucky ones review something here.
I may take a pass on the M5 Utra since I just read the special characters issue will still be present on the M5 Ultra as it was on my M0 and Q1. I spent hours having to change the apostrophe glyph on all my tracks to an earlier version so the track names would show correctly. I have added thousands of songs in the interim and don't want to have to go through that pain all over again.

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #247 of 868
I may take a pass on the M5 Utra since I just read the special characters issue will still be present on the M5 Ultra as it was on my M0 and Q1. I spent hours having to change the apostrophe glyph on all my tracks to an earlier version so the track names would show correctly. I have added thousands of songs in the interim and don't want to have to go through that pain all over again.
I take note of it. In my current HiBy R3II this does not occur.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #248 of 868
I take note of it. In my current HiBy R3II this does not occur.
Shanling has claimed ever since the M0 and Q1 that the special character issue exists on all Chinese DAP's. Clearly this is not the case if you say the R3 II does not have this problem.

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #250 of 868
Nope, this is in reference to N3 Ultra I tried at CanJam NYC. It has Solid State mode and 2 Tube tonality modes: Modern and Classic.
Sounds like it's the sameish concept then, I'd expect modern to be ultralinear and classic to be triode mode.

Just spent two days back with the N3 Pro and the triode mode definitely sounds the best out of the 3 modes. Ultralinear is a bit more punchy but soundstage is shallower and vocals are emphasised giving it a more forced and congested feeling despite having slightly better clarity than the triode mode.

Solid state mode is a complete write off for me having basically a 2d soundstage, flat dynamics and sterile presentation. Issue not being the tonality but presentation.

I love the concept of this DAP... compact, respectable battery capacity, nice volume wheel, tube mode from 4.4mm PO, and no android bloat for pure music playback using local storage. I get the criticism for lack of streaming capability, but in all honesty, the market is saturated with DAPs containing wifi and bluetooth capability. This DAP in 2024 is refreshing to me... but I still prefer to listen to albums all the way through, so take that with a grain of salt. If people are still interested in the original Sony WM1A/Z (they definitely are!), then there is a market for the N3Ultra in 2024.

Speaking of Sony, one thing I've always loved about their proprietary music UI is the ability to sort music by "High-Res" so you can go right to albums that are encoded in high resolution bitrates and formats. Quite often I want to listen to a DSD album and it is great to easily find them in one place rather than having to do a workaround involving folder view or creating a "genre" for high resolution files using something like mp3tag which is a pain to manage/update.

The description in the OP states "The N3Ultra also features a new, closed pure audio system design for its UI, offering a clean and straightforward user interface". @Andykong This UI would be even better if you would consider implementation of an additional music library category for high resolution files (while not as good, even the option to sort by bitrate or filetype would be helpful). It should be relatively easy to implement if you feel there is demand for it.

Anyway, I am excited to get my hands on the N3Ultra!
You could try the FiiO music app. Just scan library and go to the sampling rate category.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #251 of 868
You could try the FiiO music app. Just scan library and go to the sampling rate category.

Yep... I was going to mention that I've been using the Fiio app for that purpose. There is a feature to sort by bitrate and file type, which is convenient. Still not as good as a dedicated "Hi-Res" category like "artist", "album", etc. that the Sony UI has. My hi-res collection is growing and it would be nice to have it all available to browse in a single category. Wishful thinking I know!

Apr 4, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #252 of 868
Call my friend at Travis at the Headphone bar in Vancouver he is a Cayin Dealer
Headphone Bar
(604) 569-0694

https://g.co/kgs/QF8xpgn

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #253 of 868
Call my friend at Travis at the Headphone bar in Vancouver he is a Cayin Dealer
Headphone Bar
(604) 569-0694

https://g.co/kgs/QF8xpgn
I am aware of Headphone Bar I check the site alot, there are others as well Headfoneshop in Toronto and Layton Audio in Montreal and Asona in Markham is their official Canadian distributor. Right now almost all the Canadian dealers that carry Cayin only have their portable amps and DAC's and some of their home audio products.

www.audioexcellence.ca has the Cayin DAP's for sale (N7 and N8 MkII) so they look like the best option for carrying the N3 Ultra when it is available and they are not to far from me. They also carry Shanling DAP's and already have the M5 Ultra for pre-order but no N3 Ultra for pre-order at least not yet. Will have to wait and see if they will carry it. I am not looking to buy it right away as it is. I want to wait for some reviews and some user posts in this thread so Black Friday is my target date to get one or possibly something else if any other models drop before then. Kind of hoping for a Hiby R5 III to drop before then since the R5 II is a couple years old. Next to the N3 Ultra a DAP with a Class A amp like the R5 would be a nice option and maybe more affordable.

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #254 of 868
Pity there is such and imbalance between Shanling's software and hardware teams. Their hardware is superb, but both their Mtouch and Android software leave too much to be desired.

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #255 of 868
Where is the leather case sold?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back