Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 17, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #451 of 645
Thanks! Do you know what are the requirements for the cover art to be recognized by the N3U? I've already tried with .jpg max 1000 and it didn't seem to do the trick. I'll experiment some more, but I could also use some guidance 😉
All album art is set to 250x250. No problems on N3pro. I don’t own Ultra

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #453 of 645
The leather case is top-notch! I will give it 90 marks. Ten marks are deducted for using font Comic Sans on the metal grill again.

I beg of you, @Andykong, don’t use Comic Sans again! 😂
IMG_6886.jpeg
IMG_6887.jpegIMG_6888.jpeg
Some close-up photos here

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #454 of 645

Some close-up photos here
A really nice looking case I love the blue. I'm in two minds about getting a leather case, I have leather cases on all my daps but the clear plastic case that comes with the N3Ultra with the wheel guard is so nice. If the leather case had a wheel guard it would be an instant buy.

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #455 of 645
Nice looking leather case but very expensive in Europe (49 euros) compared to the US (29$). Customs fees cannot justify alone doubling the price

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #456 of 645
The leather case is top-notch! I will give it 90 marks. Ten marks are deducted for using font Comic Sans on the metal grill again.

I beg of you, @Andykong, don’t use Comic Sans again! 😂
Sorry to disappoint you, but this will remain unchanged in the foreseeable future.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 17, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #459 of 645
If you could, identify the albums that can't display the thumbnail correctly, extract the album art as-is, post the photo here and let us try to embedd it into any album in our library and test whether you can display the album art I our thumbnail pages.
MP3tag will batch adjust the embedded cover art of your entire SD card. You need to install and point the app to your music files then start an action > quick action> adjust cover

I've had some success with MP3tag. The workflow, should anyone be interested, is to batch extract the cover art to file (named folder, for example). Don't worry, it doesn't do duplicates, so there will be just one jpeg per folder. Then, if it still doesn't work, check that they aren't bigger than 1000x1000. Convert cover can be used for that.
Thanks for the ideas, I couldn't have solved it without your help. :)

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #460 of 645
I've had some success with MP3tag. The workflow, should anyone be interested, is to batch extract the cover art to file (named folder, for example). Don't worry, it doesn't do duplicates, so there will be just one jpeg per folder. Then, if it still doesn't work, check that they aren't bigger than 1000x1000. Convert cover can be used for that.
Thanks for the ideas, I couldn't have solved it without your help. :)
Try to copy the cover picture to folder and rename it to folder.jpg
This will help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2567-04-18 at 08.36.57.png
    Screen Shot 2567-04-18 at 08.36.57.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 0
Apr 17, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #461 of 645
I got my N3 ultra . I bought it from authorized distributor in my country. There are few issues of my N3 ultra.
- the light leaks on the right edge of screen (just one side). The seller also checked 5 units in their stocks. They're all the same issues.
- the problem with the glue for battery. There didn't seem to be enough adhesive. the cell on the back loosing and flopping around while shaking.

I‘m curious about the QC for the 1st lot of N3 ultra.
Quite disappointed.
@Andykong
Is this normal?

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #462 of 645
@Andykong
Is this normal?
I have to look at the machine to offer any comment, and my comment will remain as a comment because my role does not have a direct like to dealers.

The dealer is always your first point of contact when you encounter hardware (including QC) problems, if you have difficulty getting hold of your dealer, please contact the Cayin service department at service@cayin.cn

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #463 of 645
Try to copy the cover picture to folder and rename it to folder.jpg
This will help.
Hi @Andykong, Artwork is 600x600, but it appears to be a .png file. I do see other thumbnails that are also 600x600 .png showing correctly, so not sure why some are working and other's aren't.
Parch, thank you very much for mentioning this option. :beerchug:

The complete album art display priority are as follows:
  1. Embedded album Art (jpg, png, bmp)
  2. Picture file using music file name in the same folder, e.g: Hotel California.jpg
  3. "Front" picture file in the same folder, e.g., front.jpg
  4. "Cover" picture file in the same folder, e.g., cover.jpg
  5. "Folder" picture file in the same folder, e.g., folder.jpg
We accept three different photo file formats, and they are priorities as jpg > png > bmp, just in case you have more than 1 file format in the same folder, we'll pick the file according to this sequence.

Last edited:

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #464 of 645
Question for the hive mind: Does the PEQ work when in USB DAC mode (or any playback mode) or only when playing local files from the SD card?

You can use PEQ with USB DAC mode. However, you need to set up the PEQ and enable the filters BEFORE connecting the N3Ultra to its USB Audio source. Once connected, the N3Ultra will continue to operate AS-IS, therefore enabled PEQ will remain in the playback loop.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #465 of 645
I really am interested in potentially buying the n3ultra. It seems to harken back in spirit to how the original daps (than just called mp3 players) were meant to be. I dont like streaming as I have a large library of my own collection. l typically use mp3s and flacs but I also have less common ogg, opus, wav files etc plus probably others I'm forgetting. I'm hoping with a good case+screen cover I can use it outside and while walking plus some light exercise without it being too heavy or bulky. My ipod is getting up there in age and never owned another dap.

Few questions:

Can it handle my 20k songs m3u playlist and shuffle it? I liked to use it to shuffle my entire library on my iPod with Rockbox. Also probably pretty obvious but will all my IEMs and power hungry headphones see a significant improvement in overall sq? I've never owned a headphone amp and sorry for the elementary questions but essentially the n3ultra will give much more juice to my earphones than the ipod classic? Finally, is the microphonic noise or what have you a non issue from other wifi enabled devices as well? I live in a densely populated area with probably 30 routers in range. Theres radio waves blasting all over the place lol.

Again forgive my newb questions, I know just enough in the audiophile realm to enjoy my music but technical details are obviously not my forte...

The N3Ultra should be free from RF interference unless they are very close to the devices, we don't experience any RF interference from routers that are 1 meter away. If you are in doubt, please wait for the user or reviewer reports, I am sure they will provide more information along this line.

We have created a UI screen to cater to the shuffle ALL option:

Select the ALL option (Top right) on the main N3Ultra desktop.

Screenshot_19700204-141740.png

Once you enter the list of all music files, click on the play button beside the "Shuffle all" label

Screenshot_19700204-141823.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back