Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 25, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #571 of 654
I have found strange issue with some songs in Tidal. Playing from iPhone, decoding does not work well and you can see on the screen like it switches to on/off, and sound does not go smoothly, some clicking all the time, sometimes it becomes stable and then starts again. USB-Lightning Cable was replaced, iPhone rebooted- no luck. What it could be and how to fix it?

It sounds like your iPhone considered the N3Ultra as a peripheral that draws a lot of power and starts to behave "incorporating". :sweat_smile:

Check the Default USB configuration setting, you should set the N3Ultra to Audio in (no USB power) so that your N3Ultra won't draw any power from the lightning port.

N3U Menu USB Default.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 25, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #572 of 654
It sounds like your iPhone considered the N3Ultra as a peripheral that draws a lot of power and starts to behave "incorporating". :sweat_smile:

Check the Default USB configuration setting, you should set the N3Ultra to Audio in (no USB power) so that your N3Ultra won't draw any power from the lightning port.

N3U Menu USB Default.jpg
Thanks @Andykong , I did not mention it but it is in No USB power mode by default. And this happens not to all songs, only with the specific sample rate, e.g. 24-bit 192KHz plays very fine, but MQA MAX starts glitching.

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #573 of 654
Thanks @Andykong , I did not mention it but it is in No USB power mode by default. And this happens not to all songs, only with the specific sample rate, e.g. 24-bit 192KHz plays very fine, but MQA MAX starts glitching.
It only happens with Tidal MQA?

Officially, N3Iltra is not certified for MQA, we didn't listed MQA in our supported format. It might or might not work with certain MQA tracks, depends on how Tidal is handling the track under the MAX programme.

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #574 of 654
It only happens with Tidal MQA?

Officially, N3Iltra is not certified for MQA, we didn't listed MQA in our supported format. It might or might not work with certain MQA tracks, depends on how Tidal is handling the track under the MAX programme.
Understood. So far, I didn’t observe the same from other sources, will keep checking.

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #575 of 654
Got mine and have been using it for a couple of days now and I’m very happy with it so far. Hardware looks solid, no light leaking anywhere or other issues. Sound is great and I’d say it sounds better to me than all my dongles including the ru7. Software is ok, perfect for local file playback with track replaygain and no other distractions. Put in a 512 GB sandisk extreme sdxc card and no problems so far. Playback flac and dsd work without issues. A search feature would be useful but I get around that easily by using group by artist. Been enjoying listening to my music on it so far and have all but forgotten about my dongles, cables and music app combos. I’d recommend this to anyone looking for the simplest local file playback experience with great sound and no other distractions.

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #576 of 654
@HeartByte;

Great, you have written what I was going to explain here in similar words. I've made the jump from my lovely HiBy R3II to this latest N3U model from Cayin. I will put it in a few words: detail, many details. I hear notes that weren't in my music library before (all FLAC files). Very good channel separation and warm as if it had valves...😂 Now I have what I longed for and so far, even with two days of activity, I can't find any defects. Very good battery, last night I went to bed with 100% charge and this morning I had 100% charge, there was no loss. The EQ and PEQ work wonderfully. The model as a whole is sober and beautiful at the same time. 🤗

Thank you to those who have helped me in your choice. A good DAP and a good IEM generate unforgettable experiences, and that's what it's all about...you don't have to spend an exaggerated amount of money to obtain said pleasure.

Let's enjoy!✌🏻

IMG_20240426_011652.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #577 of 654
It may be nice to include an automatic shut-off function in the next firmware update, but not sure if this is possible given the Android-based system.

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #578 of 654
It may be nice to include an automatic shut-off function in the next firmware update, but not sure if this is possible given the Android-based system.
That would indeed be nice. I thought there is one, but I always have a tendency to shut it off myself, so didn't pay much attention.
I don't think it's the Android OS that prevents such a function, as the Android based DX170 has it. I had the opposite problem there, getting it to stay on during periods of inactivity, since that one takes ages to turn on.

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #579 of 654
Playing MQA files no issues for me.
20240425_224043.jpg

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #582 of 654
I have my N3U since last week and honestly, while I quite like it, I was expecting more warmth in classic tube mode (something similar to what I have with my speakers setup). It turned out that this mode offers quite a lot of details in the top end of the spectrum which is not something tubes are known for. Usually the high frequencies are rounded with tubes but that’s not the case in N3U. Do you share the same thoughts with me?

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #584 of 654
(
I have my N3U since last week and honestly, while I quite like it, I was expecting more warmth in classic tube mode (something similar to what I have with my speakers setup). It turned out that this mode offers quite a lot of details in the top end of the spectrum which is not something tubes are known for. Usually the high frequencies are rounded with tubes but that’s not the case in N3U. Do you share the same thoughts with me?
N3Ultra is, by circuit design, equivalent to a hybrid Tube pre and solid state output stage amplifier for speaker applications, it will vastly different from output transformer coupled single-end triode amplifier if that was your baseline of tube amplifier, even push pull pentode tube amplifier sounds very different from SETA.

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #585 of 654
(

N3Ultra is, by circuit design, equivalent to a hybrid Tube pre and solid state output stage amplifier for speaker applications, it will vastly different from output transformer coupled single-end triode amplifier if that was your baseline of tube amplifier, even push pull pentode tube amplifier sounds very different from SETA.
I built a JAN6418 hybrid tube amp a while ago which sounds great with excellent tube timbre. The tube is strapped as triode (like N3U Classic mode) and anode voltage is 18volts. So I'm curious, can you tell us what the anode voltage is on the N3Ultra JAN6418 tubes?

11973480.jpg

11974183.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back