Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Nov 29, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #3,001 of 3,685
Is it because of battery swelling or did the adhesive just fail?

No battery in the RU6. :wink:

Possibly assembled with less glue than optimal - and then the circuit heating caused fatigue.

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #3,002 of 3,685
No battery in the RU6. :wink:

Possibly assembled with less glue than optimal - and then the circuit heating caused fatigue.

I love how I own one and know this, but it my covid/fever induced haze I legitimately forgot that it didn't have a battery lol 😂🤦‍♂️

I just remembered my first Fiio BTR5 (OG Version) that had the screen pop off because of battery swelling. You guys are gonna have to cut me some slack on this one...🙄

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #3,003 of 3,685
I love how I own one and know this, but it my covid/fever induced haze I legitimately forgot that it didn't have a battery lol 😂🤦‍♂️

I just remembered my first Fiio BTR5 (OG Version) that had the screen pop off because of battery swelling. You guys are gonna have to cut me some slack on this one...🙄
slack.gif

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #3,004 of 3,685

LOL 🤣 I am so keeping this gif! It's awesome and I'm not much of a gif user. Now I'm gonna be on the lookout for situations to use it in and I'll probably wear it out real fast. 🤪

Dec 4, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #3,005 of 3,685
Hello friends,

I am new to the forum as to the audiophile world.
My discovery of instrumental progressive metal and specifically, Scale the Summit, as made me want, for the first time in 46 years, to step up my game to give the sound I hear the quality it deserves.

Unfortunately I do not have opportunity to test any of these "high-end" products and therefore I kind of make blind guesses based on your opinions and reviews, guessing what I may like or not.

I have a Grado Hemp on the way which I'll be thinking to use at home with my new cd player (Tascam CD 200), connected directly to it, when I'm not listening to the Tascan connected to the soundbar, via optical cable, just for a convenience question.

I will also pair the Grado with my Imac 24 source, for streaming from Apple Music or ripped FLAC´s. For this purpose, at the moment, I plan to use the RU6 as DAC and amp to drive the Hemp. Once I made up my mind about the type of sound / "signature" I like, I may get a R2R (or other) for desktop use purposes, or even a second RU6 if I like it too much. I believe the Hemp will not be hard to drive.

But the main purpose for the RU6 is to use on the street with my iPhone 13 mini, and a IEM. Still haven't got any and I believe it must be something easing to drive in order to avoid problems with the iPhone. I usually like to listen to my music rather loud.

I was thinking that something like the Linsoul 7HZ Timeless could be a ver nice pairing without braking the bank. I know these prices are nothing compared to what this market offers, but for someone like me just starting, they are not cheap, especially considering that I'm investing in several gear simultaneously. I believe it can be connected to the RU6 by using the 4,4 BAL socket, but not sure if there is any advantage compared to the 3,5 SL.

I would like to read your opinion based on everything I just wrote and more particularly regarding the IEM option I present (or any equivalent in the same price range) and its connections to the RU6.

Cheers and thank you very much!

Dec 4, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #3,006 of 3,685
Hello friends,

My discovery of instrumental progressive metal and specifically, Scale the Summit, as made me want, for the first time in 46 years, to step up my game to give the sound I hear the quality it deserves.

Unfortunately I do not have opportunity to test any of these "high-end" products and therefore I kind of make blind guesses based on your opinions and reviews, guessing what I may like or not.

I have a Grado Hemp on the way which I'll be thinking to use at home with my new cd player (Tascam CD 200), connected directly to it, when I'm not listening to the Tascan connected to the soundbar, via optical cable, just for a convenience question.

I will also pair the Grado with my Imac 24 source, for streaming from Apple Music or ripped FLAC´s. For this purpose, at the moment, I plan to use the RU6 as DAC and amp to drive the Hemp. Once I made up my mind about the type of sound / "signature" I like, I may get a R2R (or other) for desktop use purposes, or even a second RU6 if I like it too much. I believe the Hemp will not be hard to drive.

But the main purpose for the RU6 is to use on the street with my iPhone 13 mini, and a IEM. Still haven't got any and I believe it must be something easing to drive in order to avoid problems with the iPhone. I usually like to listen to my music rather loud.

I was thinking that something like the Linsoul 7HZ Timeless could be a ver nice pairing without braking the bank. I know these prices are nothing compared to what this market offers, but for someone like me just starting, they are not cheap, especially considering that I'm investing in several gear simultaneously. I believe it can be connected to the RU6 by using the 4,4 BAL socket, but not sure if there is any advantage compared to the 3,5 SL.

I would like to read your opinion based on everything I just wrote and more particularly regarding the IEM option I present (or any equivalent in the same price range) and its connections to the RU6.

The RU6 is my daily driver as far as on the go listening is concerned despite the fact that I have portable DACs that measure way better.

I use my RU6 with a pair of 7hz Salnotes Zero on which I have replaced the cable with a Triptowin C8 balanced cable.
Maybe try something like the Zero instead of the Timeless as a first pair of "good" IEMs.

Balanced is more efficient than single ended so you won't have to crank up the volume as much with a balanced cable. It will ultimately save you some battery life. Sonically it's tricky to say that I can hear a difference when I listen to my music in a crowded subway with a ton of outside noise.

The tips are the most important part of any IEM setup. The seal has to be perfect, this is by far the thing that will have the biggest impact on sound quality.

RU6 won't disappoint you wether you use it in a desktop setup or on the go that's for sure

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #3,008 of 3,685
The RU6 is my daily driver as far as on the go listening is concerned despite the fact that I have portable DACs that measure way better.

I use my RU6 with a pair of 7hz Salnotes Zero on which I have replaced the cable with a Triptowin C8 balanced cable.
Maybe try something like the Zero instead of the Timeless as a first pair of "good" IEMs.

Balanced is more efficient than single ended so you won't have to crank up the volume as much with a balanced cable. It will ultimately save you some battery life. Sonically it's tricky to say that I can hear a difference when I listen to my music in a crowded subway with a ton of outside noise.

The tips are the more important part of any IEM setup. The seal has to be perfect, this is by far the thing that will have the biggest impact on sound quality.

RU6 won't disappoint you wether you use it in a desktop setup or on the go that's for sure
Thank you very much for your insight and suggestions. I understand perfectly the IEM´s logic, but I know myself and it can't be too cheap or a couple of weeks later I will be itching to replace them anyway, despite the sound it produces. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I know it is not comparable but I'm using at the moment, with my iPhone, the AirPods third generation so it must be a nice improvement or I will be sort of disappointed
I use the RU6 with the Timeless and it's a wonderful pairing. As @oldkid mentioned , play with the tips to get the fit and sound right for you
Thank you! Nice to read about the synergy. I will for sure!:beyersmile:

Thank you once again and cheers!

Dec 4, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #3,009 of 3,685
Hey everyone, hope all’s going well. I got the RU6 few days back after having drooled over it ever since I sold my cayin n6ii with the r01 module. And man…the ru6 does not disappoint. NOS mode is what I’ve chosen to stick with after fiddling for two days of receiving the unit. I tried using it with the a90 and found it to be good but not as gooey and warm as the direct out, I might get a Violectric v280 to use as an external desktop amplifier and this little r2r monster as the core of the system!

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #3,010 of 3,685
Hello friends,

The RU 6 is a good choice if mid range timbre and acoustical instrument detail is what you enjoy most. It does have some trade offs in slam and deep bass but I suspect
that is intentional due to the current limitations of a portable source. Just pair it with earphones that have good bass, moderate efficiency or better. If hard rock is your thing
a FiiO BTR7 may be an alternative to consider

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #3,012 of 3,685
Hello friends,

I love my RU6 but it's not the best for portable use, especially with an iPhone. On high gain, the Cayin can only go to about 55-60 on the volume meter before it starts clipping and can't be used anymore. It will also shut itself off sometimes and the phone will give you an error that the device is not supported. Finally, it's a dongle and will simply get in the way and add an awkward bulk that is hard to overcome if you use your phone a lot, which most do.

Also, I have the 7hz Timeless and I don't think it matches well with this device. The Timeless is pretty warm with bloomy bass and has fairly weak instrument separation, resolution and imaging if not driven from a very clean source like the Topping G5. The Cayin is also not great in any of those areas so pairing them (especially on the iPhone which can't drive the Cayin properly) is not the best listening experience. My FiiO FH7 work much, much better in this setup.

If I were you I'd get a FiiO BTR5 (The BTR7 is also a good choice but it's bulky, has very sharp edges and doesn't offer much improvement to my ears, I returned it and kept the BTR5). The FiiO is much better suited to mobile use since it's got Bluetooth, is far more powerful when used with an iPhone (you can drive your IEMs or easily driven headphones to earsplitting levels from the balanced output), and its imaging, soundstage and technicalities are better than the Cayin (when used with an iPhone).

Again, I love the Cayin and highly recommend it but for your specific use case it is not the best option.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #3,013 of 3,685
So not recommended for iphone users? Can it be fixed w/ firmware? Last question. Could this drive Arya Stealth? I have ifi Hip Dac 2 and somehow it powers them…

Dec 7, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #3,014 of 3,685
I love my RU6 but it's not the best for portable use, especially with an iPhone. On high gain, the Cayin can only go to about 55-60 on the volume meter before it starts clipping and can't be used anymore. It will also shut itself off sometimes and the phone will give you an error that the device is not supported. Finally, it's a dongle and will simply get in the way and add an awkward bulk that is hard to overcome if you use your phone a lot, which most do.

Also, I have the 7hz Timeless and I don't think it matches well with this device. The Timeless is pretty warm with bloomy bass and has fairly weak instrument separation, resolution and imaging if not driven from a very clean source like the Topping G5. The Cayin is also not great in any of those areas so pairing them (especially on the iPhone which can't drive the Cayin properly) is not the best listening experience. My FiiO FH7 work much, much better in this setup.

If I were you I'd get a FiiO BTR5 (The BTR7 is also a good choice but it's bulky, has very sharp edges and doesn't offer much improvement to my ears, I returned it and kept the BTR5). The FiiO is much better suited to mobile use since it's got Bluetooth, is far more powerful when used with an iPhone (you can drive your IEMs or easily driven headphones to earsplitting levels from the balanced output), and its imaging, soundstage and technicalities are better than the Cayin (when used with an iPhone).

Again, I love the Cayin and highly recommend it but for your specific use case it is not the best option.

I don't have an iPhone, nor am I familiar with them, but this shouldn't be happening. Does the iPhone have an app like USB Audio Player Pro, Hiby Music, etc that let you play directly to a connected DAC and bypass the phone's drivers? That would be the first thing I would try.

If not can you turn off any DSP, equalization, and other audio processing apps to see if that makes a difference? Sometimes apps that process or alter the digital signal can cause problems when used with certain hardware.

Lastly have you tried your RU6 with any non-Apple devices like an Android phone or tablet or windows laptop or computer just to verify that it's working correctly to begin with? If not, do you have such a device available to you that you could try the RU6 on really quick? Knowing that it functions properly with other devices would certainly eliminate a variable from the troubleshooting process.

Dec 7, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #3,015 of 3,685
I don't have an iPhone, nor am I familiar with them, but this shouldn't be happening. Does the iPhone have an app like USB Audio Player Pro, Hiby Music, etc that let you play directly to a connected DAC and bypass the phone's drivers? That would be the first thing I would try.

If not can you turn off any DSP, equalization, and other audio processing apps to see if that makes a difference? Sometimes apps that process or alter the digital signal can cause problems when used with certain hardware.

Lastly have you tried your RU6 with any non-Apple devices like an Android phone or tablet or windows laptop or computer just to verify that it's working correctly to begin with? If not, do you have such a device available to you that you could try the RU6 on really quick? Knowing that it functions properly with other devices would certainly eliminate a variable from the troubleshooting process.
I've seen a number of other users report the exact same problem in this thread and I haven't seen a solid fix or reason, but I might have missed it. I'm not sure if iPhones have an app that can do exclusive usb out, I'll check.

I've used it with the Hiby R5 Gen 2 which does have exclusive usb audio access and it works perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back