Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Dec 22, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #1,846 of 2,150
iPhone 7+ > oeaudio lightning to usb C cable > RU7 ----> sound

Thank you. :beerchug:

I did recall that someone has shared their experience with an older iPhone as a source to RU7, I am just not sure if that was a 6, 7, or 8. Glad we have a user confirmation that this can be worked out.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 22, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #1,847 of 2,150
Thank you. :beerchug:

I did recall that someone has shared their experience with an older iPhone as a source to RU7, I am just not sure if that was a 6, 7, or 8. Glad we have a user confirmation that this can be worked out.
For clarification I was only in dsd128 and no other mode

Dec 23, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #1,848 of 2,150
Cayin RU7 received the 2023 Best DAC/AMP Dongle award from Headfonia. We sincerely appreciate the recognition and support from Headfonia.

Extraction from the Headfonia RU7 review:

The Cayin RU7 has a tuning which is more to the neutral side, but with its full body and powerful, controlled bass impact, it is a very musical and engaging DAC/AMP dongle. You get the lovely precision and clarity from the 1-Bit Resistor Ladder DAC, combined with an excellent technical level and great dynamics. The Cayin RU7 delivers a precise and immersive sound, with a wonderful timbre and lovely harmonics.

Cayin has managed to deliver a small, well-designed and top-performing DAC/AMP dongle, using the excellent 1-Bit DAC tech. As this technology and the advantages it has, is super popular for the moment, I am sure we will see many more 1-Bit and R2R dongles in the near future. The question will be if they can reach the RU7’s performance and quality, as Cayin has certainly set the bar very high.

Please check out the full review HERE.

1703323452551.png

1703323401583.png

Last edited:

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #1,849 of 2,150
Cayin RU7 received the 2023 Best DAC/AMP Dongle award from Headfonia. We sincerely appreciate the recognition and support from Headfonia.

The Cayin RU7 has a tuning which is more to the neutral side, but with its full body and powerful, controlled bass impact, it is a very musical and engaging DAC/AMP dongle. You get the lovely precision and clarity from the 1-Bit Resistor Ladder DAC, combined with an excellent technical level and great dynamics. The Cayin RU7 delivers a precise and immersive sound, with a wonderful timbre and lovely harmonics.

Cayin has managed to deliver a small, well-designed and top-performing DAC/AMP dongle, using the excellent 1-Bit DAC tech. As this technology and the advantages it has, is super popular for the moment, I am sure we will see many more 1-Bit and R2R dongles in the near future. The question will be if they can reach the RU7’s performance and quality, as Cayin has certainly set the bar very high.

1703323452551.png

1703323401583.png
Congrats Andy. Well deserved - RU6 and RU7 are an amazing double act.
Can't wait to see what's next from Cayin in this low-budget space.

Dec 23, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #1,850 of 2,150

1703323452551.png

1703323401583.png
Definitely well deserved! I listened with my RU7 powered by my iMac 27" all day yesterday with a pair of ZMF Bokeh, and it was pure musical bliss all day long. Heck, I didn't even feel the urge to fire up my HA300MK2. The RU7 is absolutely fantastic and quite a marvel!

Congrats to Cayin for another amazing product and well deserved award. Cayin is such a fantastic company!

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #1,851 of 2,150
Well deserved ! RU7 is by far the best DAC in my collection.
I now keep my RU7 in my pocket during my commuting time as well as FiiO Q3 as a portable amp and my trusty Xperia 1 II. This is a quite chunky but exquisite sounding Hi-fi sandwich.
The secret ingredient is that I use Audio-Technica ATH-ANC100BT as my IEM of choice on the go. It's the only audiophile tuned wired IEM that I know of with ANC on top of great sound quality.
The gap between my on the go and home listening sessions is not as big as it used to be thanks to this awesome 1 bit DAC with a line out.

P.S. : I would happily buy a hardware refresh of RU6 with better EMI shielding and the ability to lock the volume buttons to use it in a double amping scenario on the go.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #1,852 of 2,150
Cayin RU7 received the 2023 Top Gear – Best Dongle Dac Award from Headfonics. We sincerely appreciate the recognition and support from Headfonics.

Extraction from the Headfonics RU7 review/award:

We have heard quite a few dongles now in the last few years, and all at a roughly similar $200-300 price range. We have not heard all of them. However, from what we have reviewed to date, the RU7 is probably the best of the lot, both in terms of agreeable timbral coloration and technical prowess.

There can be arguments for the RU6’s different approach and we would say the RU7 should not be seen as a direct replacement or even an ‘upgrade’ such are the differences in their tonal emphasis. However, if you are aiming to buy just one of the Cayin dongles to do it all then the RU7 would get our vote.
The additional balanced output power, the technical capability, and several All-To-DSD modes are just some of the key features that elevate and differentiate the RU7 from its peers and the competition.

Please check out the full review HERE
1703350442355.png

1703350381401.png

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #1,853 of 2,150
Good evening all. :wink:
After 5 months with this RU7 i must say, this is amazing unit. I using Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra and this combo working very well. Straming Tidal and Qobuz. I found only this problems. RU7 need everytime at least 10 min for perfect sound. When its cold, the sound is very different. Sometime when i changing volume, sound muted every press and sometimes some click sound i hear. In Qobuz when i jump track, unit have 2-3 sec delay. But this i undestand. I try it with really top IEMs. Elysian Annihilator (Very hungry) volume i have around 55-60. And sound not perfect. But listening at night before sleep its fine. But yesterday arrive to me Symphonium audio Helios SE. And this is first IEM, where go RU7 to the limit. This IEM are creazy. I must go to volume 70 and still not enough. Around 73 volume RU7 start to restarting and disconnecting from phone. I expecting too much counsumption from S23 Ultra. I dont know current limit on USB or S23 Ultra.

This all are not something huge. As i say, its amazing unit. And with price 290 USD this is big wow. I like it very much and sound are amazing. Iam still searching some DAP. And Cayin are one in my selection. :wink:

I wish you all marry christmas. 🎅

20231223_184552.jpg

Dec 23, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #1,854 of 2,150
Good evening all. :wink:
After 5 months with this RU7 i must say, this is amazing unit. I using Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra and this combo working very well. Straming Tidal and Qobuz. I found only this problems. RU7 need everytime at least 10 min for perfect sound. When its cold, the sound is very different. Sometime when i changing volume, sound muted every press and sometimes some click sound i hear. In Qobuz when i jump track, unit have 2-3 sec delay. But this i undestand. I try it with really top IEMs. Elysian Annihilator (Very hungry) volume i have around 55-60. And sound not perfect. But listening at night before sleep its fine. But yesterday arrive to me Symphonium audio Helios SE. And this is first IEM, where go RU7 to the limit. This IEM are creazy. I must go to volume 70 and still not enough. Around 73 volume RU7 start to restarting and disconnecting from phone. I expecting too much counsumption from S23 Ultra. I dont know current limit on USB or S23 Ultra.

This all are not something huge. As i say, its amazing unit. And with price 290 USD this is big wow. I like it very much and sound are amazing. Iam still searching some DAP. And Cayin are one in my selection. :wink:

I wish you all marry christmas. 🎅

20231223_184552.jpg
Have you tried it with laptop?

Dec 24, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #1,855 of 2,150
Update on volume issue w/ Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max. Apparently, the culprit was in the headphone safety setting. There is a setting to limit volume to a certain dB to hinder user from a damaging loud volume. I set it on since the early times the setting exist and seldom look at it again. After set it off now RU7 behaves normal, at any level of iPhone’s volume it’s volume is contant. No need to set the iphone vol to max. Lv 1 to 16 resulted to the same output vol. 0 would result to no output. No more decreasing output vol when increasing the iphone volume.

Dec 24, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #1,856 of 2,150
I'm also hearing quite a few clicks and pops while music is playing, especially in the quieter passages. It's really a shame because I love the overall presentation but then it gets ruined by constant noise artifacts :frowning2:

I've tried multiple cables, connected it to my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra (Exynos chip), laptop with the same result. Same when feeding it into my Topping L70 amp via L0.
Listened on Moondrop Variations, Truthear Zero, HD6xx, Sundara
This is an issue that hold me back and not buying RU7, just tested a unit from my friend, sound is really impressive, but I heard the crackling noise, which is not acceptable.

Dec 24, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #1,857 of 2,150
Dec 24, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #1,860 of 2,150
If you haven't already done so, try activating USB debugging on your phone which gives full control of the DAC to the application without going under Android control. If you don't know how to proceed to obtain administrator rights on the phone and activate USB debugging, search on Google, it's very simple to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back