Cayin Spark HA-3 6N16B desktop amp
Jan 16, 2015 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

thecrow

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone know about this amp from cayin? Any experience?

http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/cayin-spark-ha-3-6n16b-usb-amplifier-outstanding-headphone-amplifier.html

I've enjoyed the cayin c5, wondering about this

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 21
Bump

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 21
It's funny, I was just looking at this the other day.  Always hear so many good things about the C5 but I don't currently have the need for a portable amp.  Puts out some good power with 2100mW @ 32Ohm and looks pretty sexy in these pics.  Looking forward to your impressions Grizz!

Jan 23, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 21
It's funny, I was just looking at this the other day.  Always hear so many good things about the C5 but I don't currently have the need for a portable amp.  Puts out some good power with 2100mW @ 32Ohm and looks pretty sexy in these pics.  Looking forward to your impressions Grizz!

+1

The c5 is great. I bought one due to the impressions on headfi and they hype matched what I heard.
I believe output impedence is .32. Was very hard to find that but I found that on some website.

I'm no expert but it was so much clearer than the fiio amp (I think the f12) I heard which was a third cheaper than the c5. It was a no brained for me to go the cayin c5.

I'm hoping this amp is just as good.

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 21
Well, I ordered one but didnt expect shipping/insurance to be 100+ bucks. Hopefully they can sit a little while I get my funds right. 

Here are some pics:

Just my opinion but after having the pulse here and seeing pics of my Cayin Ha3 that will be here later I can say I prefer the look of the Cayin. I know red isnt for everyone but I personally like it!

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 21
I also asked the Cayin rep here at Head-fi about it a while ago and he told me that you can use two headphones at the same time and get that amount of power for both. That makes headphone comparisons really easy for the enthusiast. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 21
F me on the shipping.

The pics look great. Better than the ones I had seen

I dig the red too.

I've personally decided to try out a cheaper amp (Polaris project) which has caught my eye. As a bonus it's half the cost of the cain and si is the shipping charges.

When/if you get the cayin I'm looking forward to hearing about it.
I'm loving my portable c5 and that's a third of the price of this one, so this should be exceptional

Also curious if you see any info/spec on output impedance or gain settings - I found those hard to find on the c5 but one source said it was .32 ohm on that.

Cheers
Peter

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #9 of 21
I have to look into the output impedance etc. This costs double the polaris but also has a dac unlike the polaris. I just wish it had an out put stage for the dac alone. I also don't think the tube is rollable in this. If the c5 is a sign of bang for buck than this should be pretty good.

Well its on its way from china. Hope it won't be too long

update:

So I will be able to compare the following:

CAYIN HA3
BUSHMASTER MKII (favorite budget DAC/AMP and best price to performance piece of gear out there)
GEEK PULSE (went back for a fixin)
CAYIN C5 (to check for a house signature)

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 21
Got the amp

So far NIGHTMARE!!!!!!

pros:
Build looks and feels amazing
Dead quiet lol
Black background
No noise with sensitive items

Cons:
Doesn't work!!!

No sound.Obviously its not the end of the story but there will be a big delay in getting any impressions from me. The ha3 had a rattling. The plug was for chinese outlets. The book was all in Chinese. The CD is windows only and I have a Mac. My mac cant detect the usb which is rare. The Auxiliary input won't work. I have to pay shipping on an amp that is heavy back to where ever the freak since its not made or sold in the US so that is where its build will kick me twice if I have to ship it back.

At least it looks nice. I'll just carress the faceplate and touch the buttons until It's resolved. Def heavier and thicker metal than the geek pulse. Hopefully Cayin Customer Service is nice too. HiFiman has a US based rep so warranty issues can be handled without shipping to China.PLUS I CAN'T READ THE WARRANTY CARD(I think its a warranty card) I don't know about Cayin cs in the US and it will cost 100+ to ship back hopefully not another 100 to get back but most likely.

IF YOU BUY THIS DON'T USE A CHINESE WEBSITE. EBAY WOULD HAVE BEEN A BETTER OPTION AND MAKE SURE SHIPPING IS INCLUDED IN THE PRICE.

I want my mommy:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 21
Look in the bright side. You know it's an authentic Chinese electronic device.

But maaaaannnnnn! That sucks. BIG TIME!!!
I hope you get this sorted out quickly for your sake.

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 21
Is the rattling a tube in there or something like that.

I was reading the other week somewhere here that someone had a rattle in the amp and then they realised it was something that seemed obvious after they may have opened or something. I can't remember what it was but the answer was obvious after the fact. Not that that helps you much.

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 21
I'm embarrassed to say to that apart from the rattling it could be because its not getting enough power. It was on without blinking and didn't work. It is however the wrong voltage. So tomorrow I will scout a step up transformer and try it. I'm sure that's the main issue.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #15 of 21
I may start a new thread after my stupidity.

I recieved my step up transformer and this thing is singing wonderfully. It powers my zmf blackwood to very loud levels with the knob not even halfway. Plenty detail and is embarrasing my beresford headphone out. Bass is fast and taught, sound is snappy, with plenty(maybe too much) sparkle. I cant call it smooth but a bit sharp.

The pulse is waiting to be returned but without the lps(i dont have) this is much more impressive and powerful with stronger dynamics.

Very first impressions and it has tubes so it hasnt been on long and the tubes didnt get too hot yet. Nor has it burned in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back