CD Player with Good Headphone Output
Apr 17, 2009 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

subseasniper

100+ Head-Fier
Guys.

I have just invested in a pair of Sennheiser HD 595's which are my first ptroper phones.

I have been doing lots of research regarding headphone amplifiers and this got me thinking. Do any audio manufacturers actually make a decent CD player that has a good headphone output?

I would rather spend money on a CD player with a good headphone output that I can at least integrate into my system rather than an amp which is obviously pretty limited in its uses.

If such a player does exist what would work well with the 595's?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 12
Two points:

#1 - Look at Marantz. I have had a number of their CD and SACD players and they have terrific headphone outputs. This includes their CD-only players like the CD5003; and the SACD players like the SA7003/8003.
#2 - I have to disagree with "I would rather spend money on a CD player with a good headphone output that I can at least integrate into my system rather than an amp which is obviously pretty limited in its uses". If anything, the built-in amp will always be a bottleneck compared to a good dedicated HP amp; and you have the flexibility to change and upgrade. Using a player's built in output limits you as you cannot improve or change it.

In other words, if you look at something like a Marantz player, I think it would be great as a starting point. If and when you feel ready to upgrade, you can upgrade to a HP amp hooked up to the player.

Apr 18, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 12
Last week on a whim, I got a pawnshop Denon DCD-1520 CD player with a headphone jack. Dang it sounds good! The main drawback is the teensy volume knob. I tried it out first on it's own, then through my Kenwood KA-3500 integrated amp. There was very little difference in SQ, except with an amp the volume control was easier to adjust.

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 12
I have a Marantz CD5001. The built-in headphone out is o.k., though somewhat anemic sounding. This particular CD player sounds much better through an amp (a preamp lineout --> Micro Amp in my case).

Apr 18, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 12
looks like they spent more than an afternoon designing the eastern electric minimax cd player's tubed headphone out...

i saw one go on AudiogoN recently for around $400, but that isn't the norm...

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 12
Try the Marantz players. They designed a discrete headphone amp just for them. The SA8001's headphone amp isn't the best I've heard, but it's listenable, especially when it's too hot out to run tubes.

Headphone amps don't have to be that limited. There are a number on the market that double as excellent preamps. I've been using the Zana as a preamp and couldn't be happier with it. You can do the same with any number of other models.

Apr 20, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #7 of 12
I spent $20 at Goodwill on a 1987 NEC CD-40 ... it can drive my DT770/Pro 80's very loud, clean & tight.

Apr 20, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 12
Denon W1500R 2-tray HDCD CD recorder has a pretty decent volume-controlled headphone out too.
Almost as good as the SA8001, which is really good.
I haven't heard the newer SA8003 yet, but I would think it would be good also.

Apr 20, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 12
If the headamp inside Onkyo DX-7555 CD player is just like in its matching A-9555 intergrated amp (which I have), then its really good. Better than entry-level audiophile headamps (under ~$200). It powers my D5000s better than DAC1's internal amp powered my HD650s. Not as good as Compass amp, but not too far off.

Since HD595s are not as demanding for great amps as other headphones (like HD650 or K701) its quite possible that you will be satisfied if your CD player or integrated that has a decent headamp.

Dec 24, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 12
Any great players today? What about Marantz?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back