CD-R and DVD-R Litescribe discs
Feb 12, 2008 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ZepFloyd

500+ Head-Fier
What is the best brand of these type of discs. I'm assuming i'd have to buy two packs, one for the CD's and one for DVDs. Any input is appreciated. thanks.

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 11
Have you actually done the lightscribe thing? I don't know if they improved it at all, but I was floored how long it takes to burn the lightscribe side. I was *WAY* into this technology when it was announced and eagerly pounced on a laptop with a lightscribe drive. I quickly found that it just wasn't worth my time.

It's been a while, but I seem to remember Verbatim being the brand of choice.

GAD

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 11
I'll ditto the Verbatim recommendation. I haven't used the LightScribe feature before, and most likely I never will (a Sharpie works fine for me!), but Verbatim seems to have some of the best compatibility.

Feb 12, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 11
I have used HP brand with fine results. As mentioned previously I too am bummed by the length of time required to scribe a label. To do something very fancy it takes almost 20min. and a basic text only takes ~ 5min. Looks great when done but the old paper labels look pretty good and take alot less time.

Feb 12, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the old paper labels look pretty good and take alot less time.

Ack, stay away from stick on labels! I can't tell you the number of dead/jammed cd/dvd drives I've repaired or replaced due to the labels peeling off at the wrong times.

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnusa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used HP brand with fine results. As mentioned previously I too am bummed by the length of time required to scribe a label. To do something very fancy it takes almost 20min. and a basic text only takes ~ 5min. Looks great when done but the old paper labels look pretty good and take alot less time.

i'll prob do the basic text so thats fine. besides, i dont plan on burning lots of cds, so i think i can have some patience for the lite scribe.

quick question though. where do you guys recommend to get the HP or Verbatim lite scribe discs? i went out to best buy and circuit city, and both places only had like packs of 15 for the dvd's and 25 pack for cd's. i'm thinking of getting a 50 pack of each. did i just catch those places at a bad time, guess i should check back?

Feb 13, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 11
Lightscribe takes way too long, 20min is not enough since its not dark enough so generally i have to do it twice at best quality 50min.

I also found that different dvd-rom actaully have different lightscribing quality.

I bought a printer with a cd-tray and printable disc and it's all good.

Feb 13, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #11 of 11
I found the verbatrim CD-R works well at best quality (takes ~12 mins for an image)

I probably won't use it all that often but it's a nifty feature, for almost no extra cost

The time it takes to lightscribe doesn't really bother me.. i never had to burn 2 CDs in a row so i'll just do something else while waiting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back