CD to MP3 encoding
Sep 10, 2016 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

GusGF

New Head-Fier
I've been putting it off for ages but I'm after many years once again going to start converting my CDs to a digital format, MP3 being one of them. I'm going to be using the built-in DVD writer supplied with my HP desktop to encode (not the best choice I know). I'm converting to MP3 for convenience e.g. to listen to music while I'm out jogging etc.

But I have the following questions:
What would you recommend software wise to do the encoding?
What's the best way to verify the encoding process without having to manually check each file?
If I were to get another DVD/CD writer (external) what would you recommend?

Any help would be appreciated on this and I thought I would ask here before doing any research of my own.

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 11
A lot swear on EAC or DBPoweramp for ripping CDs. But I am at home with EZ CD Audio converter by Poikosoft. Very fast and easy interface. Easy to look up and edit Metadata. And has the chops to ensure accurate rips like:drive offsets correction, error detection, CD-DA stream check, pre-spinups, verify audio crc etc.

For DVD/Bluray writers, I swear only on two brands: Pioneer or Plextor.

But with large and cheap storage nowadays (microsd at 128gb) I seldom rip on mp3. It's all flac.

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 11
Thank you Mickey I will check out the software you've mentioned.

Think you are right about the drives may have to try and get an external one. How much of a difference do you think it makes as regards ripping using a pioneer of Plextor?

Sep 11, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 11
If you ask me, I will decide later for an external Optical Drive.

Will test first if your current setup will get your job done.

Don't know what brand/speed of your current writer in your PC.

Generally SQ are the same with different optical drives. Unless there are ripping errors/incompatibilities.

Drive speed of optical reader/writer will determine how long will be your rips.

On deciding a new optical drive. Basing on my experiences, Pioneer and Plextor are very reliable drives and has lesser errors/incompatibilities with various DVD/BD materials and blank discs.

Sep 11, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 11
I appreciate that. Will stick with my current setup and have downloaded EAC and at some point in the coming weeks will experiment with and learn to use it. I'm aware it's going to be a challenge. In the meantime I will make do with itunes converting my CDs for iPod Shuffle use only for outdoors e.g. when I'm exercising. But I realise making quality digital copies of my CDs will require some serious homework.
I've sourced some IEMs thanks to head-fi recommendations, Jeecoo DZAT-DF10.

Thanks for your help
:)

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 11
No problem!

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 11
I'm afraid it is a long, long time ago Plextor was making its own drives.
This might be a useful resource:
https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?37706-CD-DVD-Drive-Accuracy-List-2016

As ripping CDs is a tedious process, I suggest to rip to a lossless format.
Most media player can do transcoding.
This means if you sync to a portable, they convert to e.g. MP3 on the fly.

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #8 of 11
  As ripping CDs is a tedious process, I suggest to rip to a lossless format.

I agree, rip to FLAC (and make a backup) and make a separate MP3 copy from it. Transcoding to MP3 later is very fast and then you don't ever have to do the ripping again. 

The internal drive should be perfectly capable of making lossless copies btw.

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the advice folks. Looks like I'm going to have to invest in an external drive as a backup.

Out of curiosity what do you think of the quality of the mp3 files produced by itunes. As I said before for ipod shuffle purposes that's what I'll be doing for when I go jogging. Quality in these situations is not such an issue.

Cheers :)

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 11
Do you also use iTunes for regular listening? Rip to ALAC then, same as FLAC but for Apple devices and fully convertible to FLAC if needed later. ALAC is also useable in most modern software players, so in combination with iTunes for the Shuffle it may still be useful. 

You could let iTunes convert to AAC on transfer, theoretically a bit better than mp3 because it's a newer codec. Transfers are a bit slower but no need for a separate mp3/aac library. Quality is fine and easy to use. 

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 11
  Do you also use iTunes for regular listening? Rip to ALAC then, same as FLAC but for Apple devices and fully convertible to FLAC if needed later. ALAC is also useable in most modern software players, so in combination with iTunes for the Shuffle it may still be useful. 

You could let iTunes convert to AAC on transfer, theoretically a bit better than mp3 because it's a newer codec. Transfers are a bit slower but no need for a separate mp3/aac library. Quality is fine and easy to use. 

Actually no I could count on one hand the number of times I've used itunes. But I've just resurrected my ipod shuffle for jogging sessions and have decided to transfer CD content to it via itunes simply for on the go convenience. That's the theory anyway in practice it might work out differently when I try it. I like the idea of having a separate FLAC library for my CDs though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back