Cellphone + SSD connected thru USB OTG instead of internal Micro SDXC card
Aug 25, 2023 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

pail

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering about this config, connecting my music SSD to the cellphone thru USB OTG instead of using Micro SDXC card, looks to be possible but i'm wondering if it is reliable (enough bit stream) and safe for the SSD?

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 2
It is indeed possible and can provide several advantages over using a microSDXC card, such as larger storage capacity and potentially faster read speeds. An SSD is a storage device that uses NAND-based flash memory to store data. Unlike HDDs, they have no moving parts and provide fast access times and high data transfer rates.

However, the data transfer speed from the SSD to the phone is a key factor. SSDs can offer significantly higher read speeds compared to microSDXCs. However, the effective transfer speed will also depend on the USB OTG connection, the quality of the cable, and the capabilities of the phone's USB controller. And yes, using an SSD for music playback through USB OTG is generally safe for both the SSD and the phone if done correctly. SSDs are designed to handle data transfers and are generally robust storage devices. The risks involved are more related to data corruption or accidental disconnections during transfers.

Use a high-quality USB OTG cable to maintain stable connections between the SSD and the phone and always properly eject the SSD before disconnecting it from the phone to prevent data corruption.

Lastly, format your SSD in exFAT so you can use it everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back