CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Dec 7, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #1,232 of 1,412
I have the Dacmini PX with 1-ohm and variable out mod and have used it for desktop speakers and my HE-6. For what it's worth, I'd pick it over the Schiit Mjolnir/Gungnir.

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #1,233 of 1,412
  Interesting.... trying to decide if this drop is worth it as twice the price over the Schiit Stack. So your think it would be better to buy the low impedance output model if using low-impedance planars?

The Dacmini is much better than the schiit stack (magni-modi). I even had the Asgard 2 and I felt like the DACmini bested it. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #1,235 of 1,412
Have some HD650s atm, wondering if i should go for the great deal that's on massdrop ATM for the Dacmini CX, or just get a BH Crack and a cheap-ish dac instead?  Right now i'm just running them off of an Astro Mixamp Pro 2013.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #1,236 of 1,412
  Have some HD650s atm, wondering if i should go for the great deal that's on massdrop ATM for the Dacmini CX, or just get a BH Crack and a cheap-ish dac instead?  Right now i'm just running them off of an Astro Mixamp Pro 2013.

I don't understand why you would prefer a cheap dac to the DACmini CX.  All the reviews say that the CX is a killer deal at its normal price, and the current deal is half-off.  What's the rational for doing the other thing?

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #1,237 of 1,412

Well the HD650s are supposedly a great match with the Crack, never heard it myself, although I do own HD650s. I will say that the DACmini is an awesome product with a very neutral sound and great clarity. Either way its a step up. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #1,238 of 1,412

I don't understand why you would prefer a cheap dac to the DACmini CX.  All the reviews say that the CX is a killer deal at its normal price, and the current deal is half-off.  What's the rational for doing the other thing?

I meant "cheap-ish" as in under $200.  And the crack is supposedly extremely good with HD650s, but i'll probably just go with the DACMini anyway.

Dec 9, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #1,239 of 1,412
The Bottlehead Crack is fantastic with high impedance Sennheisers and Beyers. If I had to choose between the Dacmini and Crack... my vote swings towards the Crack unless space is an issue (and let's be honest, desk space is a premium for most of us). I also enjoy building Bottlehead kits and have all the tools necessary, so my relative costs there have already been absorbed.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #1,240 of 1,412
How hard is it to build a crack?  I've got a soldering iron, but i'm not very good with it... 
confused_face.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #1,241 of 1,412
Even for someone with little experience, it shouldn't be more than a three-evening build. The manual is very nicely laid out.

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #1,242 of 1,412
Yeah, all the mods were free last round. I heard that the Var-out mod slowed things down quite a bit last time, so I'm guessing that they're not offering it as a free mod this time.

EDIT:

To then guy that asked about the K712 pairing, I can tell you that the K712 pairs wonderfully with the 1-ohm mod. Everything sounds as it should sound to me. 11 o'clock is the loudest I can turn it up, though, or else things get too loud. I wish that there was a low/high gain switch.

Pairing my ATH-IM70s, I can only turn it up a smidgen before things get too loud. It also starts hissing at the 10 o'clock mark, but I don't dare play any sound because by that point, things get painfully loud for me. Again, the high/low gain switch would be awesome for this.

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #1,243 of 1,412
  Yeah, all the mods were free last round. I heard that the Var-out mod slowed things down quite a bit last time, so I'm guessing that they're not offering it as a free mod this time.

EDIT:

To then guy that asked about the K712 pairing, I can tell you that the K712 pairs wonderfully with the 1-ohm mod. Everything sounds as it should sound to me. 11 o'clock is the loudest I can turn it up, though, or else things get too loud. I wish that there was a low/high gain switch.

Pairing my ATH-IM70s, I can only turn it up a smidgen before things get too loud. It also starts hissing at the 10 o'clock mark, but I don't dare play any sound because by that point, things get painfully loud for me. Again, the high/low gain switch would be awesome for this.

Slowed the process down by almost 2 weeks because they had to order more parts for the var out. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #1,244 of 1,412
To All DACmini CX owners out there….

I just purchased one (the standard 10 ohm) to run my new AKG K7xx and it sounds amazing. 

My other 32 ohm headphones sound horrible with it though. Has anyone any experience with lower impedance planers like Alpha's, HiFiman's or Oppo? Looking to upgrade my closed HP's but worried that the lower impedance ones will not perform well.

Any advice welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back