CEntrance HiFi-M8 with Michael Goodman - Head-Fi TV - CanJam @ RMAF (2012)
Nov 17, 2012 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59
NOTE:  If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.

In this episode of Head-Fi TV, I talk with Michael Goodman of CEntrance, at 2012 CanJam @ RMAF, about the latest product from CEntrance: the CEntrance HiFi-M8 portable DAC/amp!

Products mentioned in the video:

1. CEntrance HiFi-M8 portable DAC/amp

CEntrance HiFI-M8: CanJam at RMAF 2012 Coverage, Head-Fi TV produced by Joseph Cwik and Jude Mansilla

We will occasionally post Q&A episodes of Head-Fi TV.  If you want to submit any questions (or comments), you can do so via email to tv@head-fi.org.

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 59
Interesting product with some seriously ugly looking controls. More cheap USB audio interface look than portable $700 jewel.
Missing a 3.5mm line out and a digital out.
Hope it sounds good.

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 59
The design is going through some changes since CanJam/RMAF.  One of the great things about Michael's view is that he takes feedback from users very seriously.  You guys gave him some fantastic feedback at the show and he is putting alot if it into action in the HiFi-M8.  So forget the actual prototype mock-up there, I know at least the back panel has changed.

I wholly agree on the digital out.  AND: They're going to make it louder than the unit at CanJam.  

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 59
Great review! Looking forward to seeing more videos about RMAF!!

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 59
I'm incredibly excited about the HiFi-M8, this is the type of audio product of been wanting for at least a couple of years now. It's been really fun and interesting seeing the development process, Michael has been updating a blog on a near daily basis as well as being very active in the HiFi-M8 thread in the Portable Sources forum here. The best part is Michael has been incredibly receptive to feedback given by members so there's going to potentially be a few variations available.

On the rear panel you'll be able to choose between an iDevice input or optical. The optical input version is called the LX and is expected to be a bit cheaper.

On the front panel there will be at least one other variation. Instead of the dual 3 pin XLR combo jacks it will have a 1/4" jack, an  1/8" combo headphone/optical output and a 4 pin XLR balanced.

There's also been mention of a possible third front panel variation that is the same as just listed but replace the 4 pin XLR with RSA style balanced connector.

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 59
Super excited about this offering. Been loving the blog...Michael's strip tease for the audio community. Just wish I had some sense about the sound signature relative to 71-B/Intruder and RX Mk III. Needless to say, I'm in the camp hoping for the option with "RSA-style" and 1/8" connectors.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 59
Will this be one of the few Apple iDevice authorised devices that can take a digital signal from an iPhone, iPod, or iPad?  

I power my iStreamer with a portable battery (not very portable.)

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 59
Quote:
Super excited about this offering. Been loving the blog...Michael's strip tease for the audio community. Just wish I had some sense about the sound signature relative to 71-B/Intruder and RX Mk III. Needless to say, I'm in the camp hoping for the option with "RSA-style" and 1/8" connectors.

I haven't spent much time w/ the HiFi-M8 (but like many peeps here know, it was one of the last projects I worked on w/ the CEntrance group) but after listening to it at CanJam (we all know its going thru changes as we've posted previously) w/ my Audeze LCD3's - I can say when comparing it to my RxMK3-B: It definitely has what I consider to be more of the CEntrance signature, which is close to no signature at all, rather, it's accurate.  Some people, for example, think something like this has "less bass", when its actually more of what I call "correct bass".  I think the CEntrance sound (on the DACport and DACmini CX for example) is a bit lean, but not in the way most people mean.  I prefer, for example, my personal audio to be a little bit on warmer side, w/ a black or dark sonic backdrop.  

I LOVE my ALO RxMK3-B because it has tons of power, and the textural quality of the midrange is lush and rounded, without the low-end being overly exaggerated.  I felt the HiFi-M8 was definitely leaner, but its multi-purpose, (iDevice & computer DAC/hphone amp) so they have to compromise a little power I'm sure.  However, I do think Michael Goodman will figure out a way to squeeze every last bit of power he can out of that sucker.

So, long-winder reply made short: Right now I think the RxMK3-B has alot more power, thus it sounds more dynamic to me.  AT THIS POINT!
I can't wait to get the final product though - the HiFi-M8!  I'm waiting like a junkie for his fix!!

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #15 of 59
Unfortunately this episode is way out of date. There have been a ton of new feature options and changes.

If it sounds good this will be one of the most versatile and awesome devices out there. Knowing Centrance...it probably will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back