CES 2017: MQA announces TIDAL Masters, and more
Jun 29, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #691 of 702
A bit late but listen to Elton John's Captain Fantastic if you haven't already. The MQA version sounds like vinyl, especially the cut called Writing. Superb!

Thanks but wow you're replying to a very old post. I've since purchased a lot more equipment including an MQA DAC. I compared fully unfolded Tidal MQA to Qobuz Hi-Res streaming and HD Tracks Hi-Res downloads. I find MQA and other Hi-Res music equally good, so not sure MQA is worth all the trouble but I do enjoy helping other people set it up. I could go on, but you'll find many more posts from me throughout this thread and others.

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #692 of 702
Thanks but wow you're replying to a very old post. I've since purchased a lot more equipment including an MQA DAC. I compared fully unfolded Tidal MQA to Qobuz Hi-Res streaming and HD Tracks Hi-Res downloads. I find MQA and other Hi-Res music equally good, so not sure MQA is worth all the trouble but I do enjoy helping other people set it up. I could go on, but you'll find many more posts from me throughout this thread and others.

Thanks, no need to go on. I am happy with MQA and it's quite cheap here, no brainer to be on Tidal hifi compared to anything else.

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #693 of 702
Sorry to dig up old thread. But, I am trying to determine if there is a Apple BigSur OS 11.1 friendly version of AudioQuest's DragonFlyRed firmware updater out there. I went the AudioQuest site, and found the "AQ Device Manger" app. It will not run on macOS Big Sur 11.1 citing the developer needs to update the app. for security reasons.

Maybe, I've already don this in a earlier version of Mac OS? Tidal give me a choice to "pass through MQA", which I think means turn it off. Would this be an indicator that my DragonFlyRed is indeed working with Tidal's MQA?

Finally, I have a Schiit Asgard TrueMultibit on order. I know this doesn't support MQA. I mostly listen to music on Tidal. Should I hold out for an MQA compatible amp/DAC? I see Cambridge is coming out with one in February.

Thanks for your help.

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #694 of 702
Sorry to dig up old thread. But, I am trying to determine if there is a Apple BigSur OS 11.1 friendly version of AudioQuest's DragonFlyRed firmware updater out there. I went the AudioQuest site, and found the "AQ Device Manger" app. It will not run on macOS Big Sur 11.1 citing the developer needs to update the app. for security reasons.

Maybe, I've already don this in a earlier version of Mac OS? Tidal give me a choice to "pass through MQA", which I think means turn it off. Would this be an indicator that my DragonFlyRed is indeed working with Tidal's MQA?

Finally, I have a Schiit Asgard TrueMultibit on order. I know this doesn't support MQA. I mostly listen to music on Tidal. Should I hold out for an MQA compatible amp/DAC? I see Cambridge is coming out with one in February.

Thanks for your help.
Hi I don't have anything from Apple but when I used to not have Windows installed anywhere I was often screwed with various updaters so yeah. Is it possible to install Windows in a VM on your apple and maybe run the updater from there or do it on a trusted buddie's PC?

Passthrough MQA means the desktop app will pass the data stream to your DAC without processing it. This is to support DACs that have MQA support. If you want the desktop app to do the first unfold you uncheck that, the app will unfold, and then the DAC sees a higher rate bitstream in some cases. You can flip passthrough on or off regardless of whether the DAC supports MQA. And I think some of the Audioquest DACs don't do full unfolds so anyway they're not better than the desktop app probably.

I don't see any reason to wait for Cambridge for anything. They and schiit have been reticent / militant regarding DSD and MQA while other companies have given us choices. There are enough good companies around to be able to choose good gear that plays anything and everything.

You didn't say where you are or how much you want to spend. I have several MQA DACs and I think it's worth having one if you want the best of Tidal from a technical standpoint. But after listening to the desktop app doing the 1st unfold and fully unfolded streams I don't think there is a big difference most of the time. The desktop app does a pretty good job. I don't think you lose much if you use software unfold especially if you have a good external DAC.

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #695 of 702
Anyone using spotify here? 😅 I've been reading all those mqa stuffs from 2017 upto 2021 in this forum, never heard a single spotify user. I think they already have a lossless as well, though in my country it isn't supported.

Jul 22, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #696 of 702
Lossless Spotify (Spotify HiFi) hasn't launched yet, though it is expected to be up and running here in the U.S. in the latter half of this year. If it goes off without a hitch, I may even try it out, even though I already subscribe to TIDAL, Qobuz and Apple Music. Spotify has one of the largest catalogs around, and there is at least one track that is available on Spotify that I cannot find on any other service.

Aug 18, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #697 of 702
Lossless Spotify (Spotify HiFi) hasn't launched yet, though it is expected to be up and running here in the U.S. in the latter half of this year. If it goes off without a hitch, I may even try it out, even though I already subscribe to TIDAL, Qobuz and Apple Music. Spotify has one of the largest catalogs around, and there is at least one track that is available on Spotify that I cannot find on any other service.

I’ve tried all three of the services you have, and due to there not being an artist directory (at least when I tried them), I find music discovery to be lacking. As a result, my entire music library consists of CD rips and hi-res material bought off of Pono and HDtracks.

Just one man’s thought about streaming services. ✌️

Aug 18, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #698 of 702

Thanks for your help.

At least in Windows, there is a setting, "Exclusive mode", which needs to be active. The passthrough option has to be off for AQ DACs.

Exclusive mode means that Tidal will pass the audio data without this data being resampled by the operating system. Not having the passthrough option set to on means that Tidal will do a first unfold of the MQA track, and then the AQ DAC will further unfold it.

The AQ DAC is only a MQA Renderer, and not a MQA Decoder, hence why just passing the whole MQA file to the DAC (without Tidal doing a first unfold) will not work, so you need Passthrough set to off.

Aug 18, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #699 of 702
I’ve tried all three of the services you have, and due to there not being an artist directory (at least when I tried them), I find music discovery to be lacking. As a result, my entire music library consists of CD rips and hi-res material bought off of Pono and HDtracks.

Just one man’s thought about streaming services. ✌️

I'm personally okay with searching, and then following related artist suggestions - not to mention periodically scanning the new releases section of each service.

That said, I wouldn't mind having access to as large a catalog as I can get - and that's why I'm actually curious about Spotify HiFi myself. :relaxed:

Aug 18, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #700 of 702
At least in Windows, there is a setting, "Exclusive mode", which needs to be active. The passthrough option has to be off for AQ DACs.

Exclusive mode means that Tidal will pass the audio data without this data being resampled by the operating system. Not having the passthrough option set to on means that Tidal will do a first unfold of the MQA track, and then the AQ DAC will further unfold it.

The AQ DAC is only a MQA Renderer, and not a MQA Decoder, hence why just passing the whole MQA file to the DAC (without Tidal doing a first unfold) will not work, so you need Passthrough set to off.

Nice to see you posting again, I had read you moved or something like that. I’m hoping Sony does a refresh of the WM1A and Z so you can apply your custom firmware to those as well. ✌️

Jan 25, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #701 of 702
I'm personally okay with searching, and then following related artist suggestions - not to mention periodically scanning the new releases section of each service.

That said, I wouldn't mind having access to as large a catalog as I can get - and that's why I'm actually curious about Spotify HiFi myself. :relaxed:
I almost don't look for new music. To me not much music made after 1976 is worth listening to :D

Anyway regarding Spotify's vaporware lossless, I would be on board with that definitely. Qobuz isn't available here and Deezer doesn't have a bitperfect desktop app.

The Spotify Hifi program seems like a no-brainer but so far nothing. I haven't seen an explanation for why it's taking so long since they announced it for it to actual happen.

Jan 26, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #702 of 702
To me not much music made after 1976 is worth listening to :D

Luckily I was made before that so you can still listen to meee! 🤣

The Spotify Hifi program seems like a no-brainer but so far nothing. I haven't seen an explanation for why it's taking so long since they announced it for it to actual happen.

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed myself, especially since there are certain recordings that I can only find on Spotify. :slight_frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back