Changing 2 wire headphones into 1 wire?
Feb 21, 2015 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Stanfoo

100+ Head-Fier
most headphones have 2 wires. one in the left earcup and the other in the right. im wondering is it possible to somehow make them into 1 wire? for example the hd598 is only 1 wire which goes into the left earcup. having 1 wire in each earcup bothers me

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 5
  most headphones have 2 wires. one in the left earcup and the other in the right. im wondering is it possible to somehow make them into 1 wire? for example the hd598 is only 1 wire which goes into the left earcup. having 1 wire in each earcup bothers me

Can you do it, yes. Can you or I do it without making a total mess of things? I doubt it.

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 5
Its far easier to go the other way around, take a single sided cord and make it into a "Y".

Not the easiest mod to execute cleanly.  Hardest part would be cleanly bridging the wire over from one cup to the next.  Theres also the issue of how to cleanly fill up the vacant hole on one earcup.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 5

1. It depends on whether you can fit a three- or four-conductor cable going into that one earcup. Some have tinier holes and the chassis won't accommodate a mini-socket for example, like the HD6x0. You can eschew removable cables and use twisted conductors with no outer shielding around all of them and it might fit, but past that...

2. ...Where can you run the signal cable carrying the signal from that one earcup towards the other side? Single entry cable headphones coem with a provision for the conductors - AKG's like the K7xx series has them in the headband (watch the How It's Made episode on YouTube), Beyers have the conductor running inside the leather headband pad, and the HD25-1 is a dual-entry model but has cable management (and an asymmetrical cable) so you just have the same cable running to the other side (you can use an HD25 cable on an HD6x0 actually, just pull the two parts apart, although that's not ideal).

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 5
Let's say you want to have the wire run only into the left cup.

- Disassemble the headphones
- Remove the wire from the right driver.
- Figure out a way to run a two conductor wire from the left cup, over/inside the headband, to the right cup.
- Feed the old right wire into the left cup and splice it to the new bridge wire running from left to right.
- Solder the bridge wire to the right diver.

Electrically, that will work. The purists would want you to make the resistance and length of the left and right cables the same, which might require you to add to both sides, and then figure out how to hide the extra cable on the left side. Aesthetically - it might be OK, or it might look like cr@p.

Consider a headphone with a very simple headband, like the Grado SR60. How would you run the cable from the left to the right over the headband? The headband is just a simple, bent, flat piece - it's not hollow. You would need to use some sort of headband cover or something.

What headphones are you talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back