cheap amp+DAC setup for the HE 400
Aug 25, 2012 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hawk1410

100+ Head-Fier
So, I am looking to get the HE 400 and dont know what amp and DAC to get. Right now I have no amp or DAC. Not looking to spend a lot of money on them though. 200$ is ideal. 300$ is the absolute max. I was initially gonna get a HD 650 with an O2+ODAC combo but reading more about it has convinced me to get the HE 400, but i dont know what amp and DAC should i get for it. Haven't heard the O2+ODAC setup being used much with the HE 400 so I assume it is not good pairing.  The most recommended amp for the HE 400 i found in this range was the Matrix M Stage but at 280$ it leaves me no money for a DAC. So i have no idea what to get.

Will i be able to get the most out of the HE 400 if i spend just this much on the amp + DAC setup? Or should i get another headphone? 

Aug 25, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
So, I am looking to get the HE 400 and dont know what amp and DAC to get. Right now I have no amp or DAC. Not looking to spend a lot of money on them though. 200$ is ideal. 300$ is the absolute max. I was initially gonna get a HD 650 with an O2+ODAC combo but reading more about it has convinced me to get the HE 400, but i dont know what amp and DAC should i get for it. Haven't heard the O2+ODAC setup being used much with the HE 400 so I assume it is not good pairing.  The most recommended amp for the HE 400 i found in this range was the Matrix M Stage but at 280$ it leaves me no money for a DAC. So i have no idea what to get.

Will i be able to get the most out of the HE 400 if i spend just this much on the amp + DAC setup? Or should i get another headphone? 

I would think the ODAC+O2 would be a good choice for the Hifiman HE-400 (38-Ohm) headphone.
Might be better to read up on and ask this question on threads dedicated to the HE-400.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586885/new-hifiman-headphone-he-400-is-out
http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-review

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 4
Also, if I am only gonna use my PC as a source, I already have a Xonar D1, is a DAC necessary? 

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Also, if I am only gonna use my PC as a source, I already have a Xonar D1, is a DAC necessary? 

The Xonar D1 comes with the CS4398 DAC chip, which should be good enough without to spend a lot on an external DAC .
As the Xonar D1 is at best barely decent for driving cheap headphones, you will need an external headphone amplifier.
It would be best to find an external headphone amplifier with an impedance of 3.75-Ohms or less.
Maybe something like the O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifier would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back