Cheap SQ with an LOD... What are my options? (DAP)
Oct 26, 2012 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dragunov-21

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a DAP that.. well, is pretty much a Clip+ with line-out capability.  I don't need a touchscreen (or even colour), just a conduit between a storage medium and a DAC, with a couple of buttons for control and EQ/Crossfade/etc functionality.

What are my options?  How much do I have to look at spending?  I love my clip+, but I'm after something whose DAC I can bypass, for when I'm plugged into my ODAC.

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 8
Possibly a Sansa Fuze (not Fuze +) which supports LOD. It's very similar to the Clip+ Other options are Apple ipods, some Sony players. Is your Clip+ rocboxed? You can set the volume to 0db and imitate a line out but you're still not bypassing the internal amp and will be double amping.

Oct 26, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 8
What's the sound quality and battery life like relative to a Clip+?

Also, I just realised I might be getting ahead of myself - does a line-out bypass the internal DAC, or only the internal amp?  Anything that bypassed the internal DAC would have to connect with a USB cable, wouldn't it?  Do any DAPs do this?

Oct 26, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 8
What's the sound quality and battery life like relative to a Clip+?

Also, I just realised I might be getting ahead of myself - does a line-out bypass the internal DAC, or only the internal amp?  Anything that bypassed the internal DAC would have to connect with a USB cable, wouldn't it?  Do any DAPs do this?

Yes...yes, using a LOD only bypasses the internal amp, I'm not really into DAC bypassing someone else would need to help you there. The Fuze is said to sound 'almost' the same as a Clip+ I don't know about the battery time either possibly slightly more, maybe less. :xf_eek:

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 8
As far as I know you can't bypass the "DAC" on any DAP unless it's specifically designed with a digital out for that purpose ie: coax, toslink, or USB bypass.
A "LOD" isn't going to do it...

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 8
Hm-601 is the best VFM choice with a proper line out, and mighty fine it sounds too

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Hm-601 is the best VFM choice with a proper line out, and mighty fine it sounds too

Oooh, that's not horrible... do you know whether it is capable of digital-out?  Can't find any reference on HD's site.

Oct 27, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #8 of 8
Ended up going for a Fuze, if only so that I can use a dock and get a proper line out...  Looks like it's that, or spend major money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back