Cheap under $20 53mm headphones?
Jan 23, 2013 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Folex

Member of the Trade: PLAudio
I'm currently looking for a cheap pair of headphones with 53mm drivers. I plan to take the plastic housing and transplant it along with a pair of audio technica ad700 driver. I don't want to cannibalize the ad700 in case I don't like the transplant. Any ideas ?

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 3
Aerial7 Tank might work, but it has a 57mm driver.  It can be found for around $30-35 on Amazon and the earpads and headband look to be of a decent material.  You could use rubber cement or other soft glue around the driver to hold it in place.

You really don't want that cheap of headphone donor body because the earpads that come with them are junk that doesn't isolate, unless you plan to use different earpads.  Also there might be less clamp than the current headphone and it could change the sound.  The soundstage will change a little going to a smaller earcup, but that's not that important to me.

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 3
I am well aware of how material, pads etc effect sound. I have 6 different pairs of pads just lying around. Real leather, fake leather and velour. I just need to find a piece of plastic that will house the driver. From there I can cut it down, dampen and switch between open/closed if needed.

I'm looking to make the absolute lightest pair of headphones with the biggest/best value drivers. Soundstage isn't that important to me since I don't listen to live music, play a lot of games or listen to music that has organic sounding instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back