CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 31, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #6,511 of 31,846
Jan 31, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #6,512 of 31,846
Yes I use the starlines on quite a few of my iems
I thought they were absolute crap at first. I got them with my KZ ZSE and didn’t think anything of them. Now I use them exclusively on my Tin T2 and my Ostry KC09. They actually almost completely negate driver flex for me (YMMV) on my sealed T2 and other earphones that have that problem. On top of that, I feel like they balance the sound much better than wide-or narrow-bore eartips do. How drastically do the starline tips change the **** ASE and in what way?

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #6,513 of 31,846
Wasn't the BA but dynamic driver that fell out. It wasn't hard to open and there is a refreshing amount of glue (no glue, just friction, also no destruction to the shells, they are as good as new).
The crossover board and DD are both not held with glue while the BA appears to be glued to the front nozzle. I think that I just need to press DD into the hole that it originally goes in as it doesn't seem to need glue or anything else.

20180131_225619.jpg

20180131_225950.jpg

20180131_230035.jpg

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #6,514 of 31,846
I thought they were absolute crap at first. I got them with my KZ ZSE and didn’t think anything of them. Now I use them exclusively on my Tin T2 and my Ostry KC09. They actually almost completely negate driver flex for me (YMMV) on my sealed T2 and other earphones that have that problem. On top of that, I feel like they balance the sound much better than wide-or narrow-bore eartips do. How drastically do the starline tips change the **** ASE and in what way?
I got a much better seal, bass tightened up and highs became clearer, I think the stock tips were too soft and folding shut in my ear canal

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #6,515 of 31,846
Wait wait wait wait. You are the wife of hungry panda ???

If so. MIND BLOWING HERE.

I thought everyone had figured it out by now :)

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #6,516 of 31,846
I had a private conversation yesterday about the cheap, old fashioned KZ earphones (as described by B9Scrambler in beautiful detail). Had to learn that the HDS3 are disappearing following the HDS1, whereas the EDR2 are still available.

Today I would like to make my pitch for the EDR1. Their sound is very close to the EDR2 (you don't really need them if you own the EDR2...but a collector like me does), however they are much nicer in appearance: dark metal, slightly heavier and more substantial in your hands, but not too heavy in your ear.

Greatly overlooked and at $5-6 a no brainer. I compared them to the $120 Sennheiser in-ear Momentum and was blown away. The EDR1 handled Police's Roxanne well (good dynamics, good oomph in the bass, Sting's voice came out great) as well as an octet by Spohr (great layering and separation between the wind instruments). They were simply a pleasure to listen to. Nothing harsh, nothing piercing. A very solid sound from a very solid "neo Maoist" design. Comparison with the EDR2: difference in nuances only...the EDR1 may have slightly more depth.

What I also like about them, compared to the more modern KZ earphones, is that they don't have two, three, or four drivers (and the complications that come with them such as the pricing treble in the ZS6). No, they have one driver :).

Can't name any sellers but the cheapest place is on that contains the word "gear" in its name...without microphone only. Found them with mic on eBay.

Grab them before they are gone.

Agreed. I recommend the EDR1, EDR2, and HDS3 all of the time. All 3 offer ridiculous performance at the paltry price of $5-$6 shipped. The comfort, solid build quality, and ease of driving is just icing on the cake.

FYI, if you replace the red nylon nozzle mesh with stainless mesh, the EDR1&2 improve even more.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #6,517 of 31,846
Fixed RT-1. Driver just pops back in the tube. Turns out that there was a small amount of glue holding the driver and currently my right side doesn't have any, will report back how it holds up over time. I definitely suggest taking a lot of care and not dropping them, my driver popped out because I dropped mine on a soft mouse pad from about 10 cm height and only later realized that that must've been the reason. Good thing is that this is something that anyone could fix.

The shells are not too hard to open and what I saw inside is a billion potential ways for modding. I also had a unique chance to see which driver covers which frequencies. DD is full range and BA kicks in around 4-5KHz, but it's effect is very minimal to the overall sound. No wonder that I didn't complain about cross over given how little the BA does. I wouldn't go as far to say that RT-1 is a single DD, it's common for hybrids to have some drivers barely impacting the sound.
The BA is also quite large, I've seen much smaller full range BAs and tweeters are usually even smaller than that. Makes me wonder whether that BA alone is a full range driver as well.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #6,519 of 31,846
...I also had a unique chance to see which driver covers which frequencies. DD is full range and BA kicks in around 4-5KHz...

How did you see that? Were there frequency markings on the crossover circuit board or something?

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #6,520 of 31,846
wow. I know they are banned from this forum for suspicious activity, but the banned store ships insanely quick.

It only took a week for the time I ordered online for my package to reach my door. Granted, it was epacket, but my order total was just under $3.2 (Bought some tips and a small case)

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #6,521 of 31,846
How did you see that? Were there frequency markings on the crossover circuit board or something?

I put one side in my ear while only the BA was in the nozzle and used a sine gen to hear when it starts to produce sound (this is while the back was opened and driver was dangling on wires). For dynamic driver, i just put it in my ear outside of shell and it's very audible across the spectrum with almost no bass due to no isolation, but we already know that DD covers bass, I just wanted to know if it covers treble as well. This is only logical, DD is directly connected to the 2 pin connector and from DD wires go to crossover board then into the BA.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #6,522 of 31,846
I put one side in my ear while only the BA was in the nozzle and used a sine gen to hear when it starts to produce sound (this is while the back was opened and driver was dangling on wires). For dynamic driver, i just put it in my ear outside of shell and it's very audible across the spectrum with almost no bass due to no isolation, but we already know that DD covers bass, I just wanted to know if it covers treble as well. This is only logical, DD is directly connected to the 2 pin connector and from DD wires go to crossover board then into the BA.

Nice!

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #6,523 of 31,846
FYI, if you replace the red nylon nozzle mesh with stainless mesh, the EDR1&2 improve even more.
Thanks. Where do I get the stainless mesh from?

Unfortunately, these gems don't attract much interest anymore in the age of flashier looking earphones.

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #6,524 of 31,846
Thanks. Where do I get the stainless mesh from?

Unfortunately, these gems don't attract much interest anymore in the age of flashier looking earphones.

I get them from Aliexpress. Search for "dust network mesh" and you'll see it. You have to know the correct size for the IEM.

The majority of IEMs use 4.0mm and 4.3mm

They cost a few cents (USD) each. Although in Canadian dollars, that will be like $20 LOL

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #6,525 of 31,846
I get them from Aliexpress. Search for "dust network mesh" and you'll see it. You have to know the correct size for the IEM.

The majority of IEMs use 4.0mm and 4.3mm

They cost a few cents (USD) each. Although in Canadian dollars, that will be like $20 LOL

Thanks. You stick them on with gorilla glue? They may only cost a few cents but the punitive US taxes jack them up to $50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back