CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 11, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #10,561 of 31,846
Mine landed yesterday. The box says FMJ i8, but the label on the IEMs says I-INTO i8. Out of the box, I could sometimes hear the sub-bass dragons that live in these cans. They're mean. Vertigo inducing level of mean. But I couldn't get them to come out and play. No seal with stock tips. Great seal with my favorite wide bore soft silicone tips, but results in pretty massive and annoying driver flex due to pressure/vacuum, and sound stage is tighter too. Is there no port on these thing? I couldn't see any. Tips rolling struggle continued for almost a day now. Finally came up with a hack that allow me to use a firm narrow bore silicone tip and achieve very good seal.
I estimated about 80% of the dragons came out and party, and that's fine by me, not sure I'd like all of them out at the same time :) Still got some driver flex. Waiting for KZ tips to come in, hopefully they'll work better. Back to my impression of the sound - sub bass is strong, but I feel mid bass lacks punch. Drum kicks don't sound as exciting as on my Uiisii E6. Mid remains very clear and sounds pretty much the same with any kind of tips. Upper mid is quite forward, giving vocals some biting and great clarity. Treble is recessed indeed, but not too bad. My Uiisii E6 has more sparkle, more mid bass, but less mid overall. Vocals sound fuller and more forward on the i8, but I like E6 better for instruments. Sound stage on both is very spacious.

All in all, the i8 is great. I'll need to find better tips for it. With better seal this might become my favorite IEM. For now, Uiisii E6 still hogs ear time.
You can't change the i8 cable :frowning2:

May 11, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #10,562 of 31,846
Guys can we conclude that the best KZ iem the KZ es4 is ATM .. and better is then KZ zs6 KZ zs10 and KZ zsr ... @dhruvmeena96 what do you think... and other users who has KZ es4 what do you think

And are the i-into i8 and uiisii cm5 best basshead iems? or are there more? Any advice is apreciated

I wouldn't describe the UiiSii CM5 as a basshead IEM, even with foams.

May 12, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #10,564 of 31,846
Hey guys,
Recently my KZ ATES wire got frayed.

Now I'm looking for a cheap iem around $10.

Now looking around in the forum I saw that Einsear T2 was good in 10$ budget. Should I go for it?

Or should I cheapen myself and go for KZ EDSE (EDR1) for 5$ as these Chinese earphones keep on breaking.

Or something else?

May 12, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #10,565 of 31,846
Hey guys,

Now looking around in the forum I saw that Einsear T2 was good in 10$ budget. Should I go for it?

Or should I cheapen myself and go for KZ EDSE (EDR1) for 5$ as these Chinese earphones keep on breaking.

Or something else?
Keep on breaking and you still buy??

May 12, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #10,567 of 31,846
Hey guys,

Or something else?

I would get the EDR1, as it has a more robust cable and strain relief than the ATE.

And be aware that the EDSE is NOT the same as the EDR1. You want the EDR1, not the EDSE.

May 12, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #10,568 of 31,846
I would get the EDR1, as it has a more robust cable and strain relief than the ATE.

And be aware that the EDSE is NOT the same as the EDR1. You want the EDR1, not the EDSE.
Thanks for replying,

Official KZ store on Aliexpress says they are the same. I guess they don't know their own products.

Any other earphones come to mind in 10$ budget or should I go for EDR1?

May 12, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #10,569 of 31,846
Hey guys,

Or something else?
A little over your budget, but keep an eye out for the TRN V20 as well. From former KZ employees. They sound full, have a thick bass and a nice amount of detail. I borrowed mine to two persons yesterday and they both absolutely loved them - being KZ ATE owners themselves.

May 12, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #10,570 of 31,846
Thanks for replying,

Official KZ store on Aliexpress says they are the same. I guess they don't know their own products.

Any other earphones come to mind in 10$ budget or should I go for EDR1?

They LOOK the same (from the outside color of the shell).

But the dynamic drivers are totally different, the vent holes are different, and the sound is different. I know because I have multiple pairs of each. You can mod a pair of EDSE to sound very close to an EDR1, but it involves a lot more work than just buying an EDR1 for $4.

Since you want something robust, stick with the EDR1. They are built like tanks, sound great, and are only $4-$5. If you damage the wires after a year or whatever, you are only out $4.

I would also suggest storing them in a case. You can get a small zippered case for under $1. The square shapes ones with the carbon fiber looking pattern work perfect, and are small enough to fit into your pocket.

If the ATE cable is fraying, that is telling me that perhaps they are being tossed around, shoved in and out of pockets, car gloveboxes, book/gym bags, etc and could use some additional protection. A case will not only keep your IEMs clean, they will make them last longer because they are protected.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #10,571 of 31,846
Guys can we conclude that the best KZ iem the KZ es4 is ATM .. and better is then KZ zs6 KZ zs10 and KZ zsr ... @dhruvmeena96 what do you think... and other users who has KZ es4 what do you think

And are the i-into i8 and uiisii cm5 best basshead iems? or are there more? Any advice is apreciated
I don't see why KZ would make the ES4 a consensus "better" IEM than their flagship, the ZS10, which was just released a month ago

May 12, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #10,572 of 31,846
They LOOK the same (from the outside color of the shell).

But the dynamic drivers are totally different, the vent holes are different, and the sound is different. I know because I have multiple pairs of each.

Since you want something robust, stick with the EDR1. They are built like tanks, sound great, and are only $4-$5.
Thanks, I just got 1$ coupon on Aliexpress from their store, I think Ill buy it.

May 12, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #10,573 of 31,846
I don't see why KZ would make the ES4 a consensus "better" IEM than their flagship, the ZS10, which was just released a month ago

It has different drivers and a different shell, so it will definitely sound "different" than the ZS10. But whether it's "better" or not will be a subjective opinion that varies person to person.

May 12, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #10,574 of 31,846
A little over your budget, but keep an eye out for the TRN V20 as well. From former KZ employees. They sound full, have a thick bass and a nice amount of detail. I borrowed mine to two persons yesterday and they both absolutely loved them - being KZ ATE owners themselves.
Thanks for replying, I'll have a look, but I guess go for EDR1 right now.

May 12, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #10,575 of 31,846
Thanks for replying, I'll have a look, but I guess go for EDR1 right now.

Get a storage case too. They are only $1. I edited my post above, but I don't think you saw that part.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back